Dayton audio PA255-8 10" pro woofer/mid in a home system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton audio PA255-8 10" pro woofer/mid in a home system

just got done (yesterday) putting a pair of these in my Burhoe Blue box's .....i've been having a hard time matching the sound of the original woofers (they got lost in a move whilst waiting for recone.....someone must have thought they were junk!)* *they have no choke on the woofer...its supposed to roll off on its own (EPI style)* Had to think outside the box on specs because everything that should have worked didn't, so interestingly these were on sale and looked like from the reviews they might possibly get me somewhere. I've been listening to them for probably 8-10 total hours and in reference to the 'do speakers break in' ? thread i'm gonna emphatically say these do!* at first i thought well that was a waste of 80 bucks but they've steadily become smoother in the mid and with more and more definition in the lower register showing up the longer they play.* I was afraid of beaming in the upper register as they seem to spike at 2k and 5k on the graph but i can't hear it? one flute solo got a little in your face on a couple notes but when i played the same track on my advents to compare it was even worse so it had to be the recording.* they are smooth and accurate sounding woofers but still have plenty of punch* can't say much about down deep as my sub crosses at 110hz... gonna try hooking em up straight just to see but really don't expect much as everyone reviewed them as useless under 60hz I do find them a bit more accurate with the port blocked but interestingly the volume doesn't change open or closed just sound quality....and they could really go either way.... the specs showed they were right in the middle of reflex/acoustic susp. so it seems to verify that.* * Ill bet these would make awesome replacements for some of the go fast speakers of the 70's like B.I.C. and such. totally happy with them.... will report back after more testing!

• Drummer
    replied
    I didn't take it as anything negative towards either. I haven't ever heard the originals, as my speakers came from a good friend that had them since new, and he passed away before he got around to rebuilding them. I wonder if the original parts would sound better than the replacements too, but for what I would spend, I would rather jump up to more modern drivers to go upwards versus lateral. Glenn.

Leave a comment:

• Mountainman Bob
    replied
    yah, don't get me wrong Huw is nice enough, and i'm not trash talking him or his products if thats what it came off as; its just that the original burhoe woofers were nothing short of amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Drummer
    replied
    I have a pair of Genesis Physics model 210 speakers that I completely rebuilt with Huw's drivers/crossovers/terminals that I have in my setup. They sound great for what they are. Huw was a very nice man to deal with. I still have all the old parts boxed up. The fluid is dried out in the tweets, and the woofs, and pr's lost their surrounds to the dreaded foam rot. Glenn.

Leave a comment:

• Mountainman Bob
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mountainman Bob
    replied
    *appreciate it dynamo but i've already tried that, had Huw make me up some new woofers and a set of custom tweeters and new caps for the xover, couldn't get his woofers to blend with his tweeters.....the stock burhoes tweets were better.* *Funny thing is his tweeters blend seamlessly with these daytons!* Theres nothing wrong with the Human stuff its just nowhere near what the originals were......i'm trying buy a pair of light blues with original drivers (same woofer) on ebay right now but the feller doesnt want to part them out and wants to ship me the whole things for like $150 shipping.....hopefully he'll understand i'm just gonna dismantle them anyhow!..

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountainman Bob View Post
    someone must have thought they were junk!
    The story of my life.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X