VituixCAD v2 released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VituixCAD v2 released

Just happened to notice that VituixCAD v2 has been released alongside version one, which is still being developed.

https://kimmosaunisto.net/Software/Software.html

The big change I can see so far is that you can design filters using a free flowing layout, same as LSPCad and Xsim, instead of using pre-set filter blocks. Also, you can set it to display a polar diagram now, instead of the directivity sonogram view or the 3d waterfall graph.

I don't know why we don't see this software mentioned here more - it's free, and the user interface is fantastic, and includes a great diffraction modelling tool (with dipole functionality) full box modelling, an SPL tracing tool, etc. etc. etc.*

Awesome piece of software. Even when it wasn't free, it was quite formidable. The greater learning curve might have something to do with why it isn't cited more often. Just my thoughts.... Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by olu78 View Post
      Awesome piece of software. Even when it wasn't free, it was quite formidable. The greater learning curve might have something to do with why it isn't cited more often. Just my thoughts.... Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
      There's an amazing amount of capability built into it. It will be more useful to more advanced users. One reason I stayed with Jeff's PCD overall scheme is because I think it's a somewhat more intuitive approach, making it easier for new and/or less experienced DIYers. Any additions I've made have been with the intention of maintaining simplicity as much as possible. I've hoped to eventually add functionality, but I can't make the time for extensive additions for now.

For those willing to deep dive into VituixCAD, especially the new v2, it looks to be worth the effort.

dlr
      WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Wow.* Never heard about this before.* Looks crazy good for freeware.

Dan
        The Hurricanes
        The Baronettes
        Conneccentric
        UX3

Comment

First time I've heard of it. * I'll give it a try.

Thanks for posting.*
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

More people need to know about VituixCAD. The amount of capabilities built in is astonishing, and it is quite easy to use once you get the hang of it. The best part of the software is how optimized it is for crossover simulation with polar response data. Being able to see the various off axis response is extremely valuable and useful.*

Comment

That's been in WinPCD for quite some time in case you haven't checked that out. It doesn't do diffraction, of course, but it does show the effects related to the crossover and driver locations. It now includes rudimentary corrections to SPL with driver diameter. It's all automated.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Few words about history of VituixCAD. I programmed my first speaker simulator in late 80s', including simple passive ladder network, very simple x/o optimizer and room response simulation by the first boundary reflections. Max. 4 ways and 20 drivers. That wasn't remarkable software though I felt that way for a short time
                In the beginning of 2k I restarted diy hobby by testing few simulators such as LspCAD, SoundEasy and FRD tools. LspCAD 5.25 was very rational and fast package, and I ended up to purchase version 6.0 with older 5.25 Pro, though I already had SoundEasy 11-12.
                Programming has always been big part of my diy hobby, so I decided to start new simulator to satisfy some essential requirements e.g. calculation of power, DI and off-axis responses by measurements in two planes. User interface of VituixCAD 0.1 was imitated from LspCAD 5. Modern features such as moving and adding with drag&drop were added later.
                Primary additional tool has been Merger since the beginning because acoustic labs are not available for common people, and weather is too bad most of time for anechoic measurements outdoors. Diffraction tool is the last member of essential tools because it helps converting measurement data from near field to far field. Other tools such as Enclosure and SPL Trace are requested by some other users, or just personal programming challenge if other choices in the marker are not so good imo.

VituixCAD is 4+ years old now. I suppose it has been de facto standard simulator in Finland since the beginning, and very popular also in Germany where speaker diy is popular. It was not launched to North America's "market" by advertising. I've trusted that diy community spreads good word if product is valuable. Many discussion forums (htguide, techtalk, diyaudio) and areas (multi-way / software) will not help.
                Another thresholds in N.A. has been language barrier and traditions. Many design methods, simulators, measurement gear and programs have long history and lots of users. But lately I have publicly (in diyaudio) challenged some of these methods and tools. For example I've stated that measurement gear without semi-dual channel mode for timing lock between output and mic signal is inadequate for advanced off-axis simulation because time manipulation of individual measurements by minimum phase extraction or normalizing IR peak to 0 ms point is bad thing for off-axis response calculation of speaker with multiple drivers. VituixCAD supports also designing with axial response only or with few off-axis, but that is your own risk; possible bad sound and lots of wasted time. This package is designed for higher targets and lower risks with very short design time. Semi-dual channel measurement gear, (manual) turning table and program with off-axis measurement & export sequences are highly recommended for efficient design process and good result.

---

About version 2. It has free form crossover layout (with single voltage source), unlimited amount and connection of drivers in the crossover. Passive blocks of version 1.1 are replaced with LCR components and library blocks. Operational amplifiers are added too.
                The latest addition in rev 2.0.1 (yesterday) is smart library blocks including user parameters/questions, options (for menu), variables and math expressions to automate calculation of component values. Block library is updated (yesterday) to include math expressions to help designing of mathematically complex stages such as OP notches with gyrator or OP Linkwitz Transform.

Few screenshots.
                Library block menu:

Block tuning window:

Block parameter design and maintenance window:

More information in user manual and software page.

I may not write so much here to avoid double work. Primary thread for VituixCAD in English is diyaudio on Software area.

Greetings from sunny Finland,
                -Kimmo

Comment

Originally posted by civit View Post
                  Also, you can set it to display a polar diagram now, instead of the directivity sonogram view or the 3d waterfall graph.
                  This has been since 0.1.0.25 (2015-01-15). Basically version 2 has nothing really new for graphs. Focus has been in free form crossover which has caused some changes to driver handling, response exports and optimizer, power dissipation and impulse response windows.

Comment

Originally posted by kimmosto View Post

This has been since 0.1.0.25 (2015-01-15). Basically version 2 has nothing really new for graphs. Focus has been in free form crossover which has caused some changes to driver handling, response exports and optimizer, power dissipation and impulse response windows.
                    My mistake, Kimmo, spectacular work here. Funnily enough I've gotten used to the block based crossover schematic and find I prefer it now.

Comment

^If you mean version 1, please note that development has ended. Auxiliary calculator and Merger tool already have some small additions which are done to version 2 only. But generally, ladder with fixed blocks is much faster to modify. New projects are not so different because block library helps a lot with free form schematic.

Comment

Rev 2.0.3.1 (2018-06-10):
                        * Crossover network calculation speed improved 15-20x by using dense matrix solver with LUP decomposition.

Comment

Originally posted by kimmosto View Post
                          Rev 2.0.3.1 (2018-06-10):
                          * Crossover network calculation speed improved 15-20x by using dense matrix solver with LUP decomposition.
                          How did you implement that? Are you using an open source package for that? I'm using a sparse matrix, but with a small matrix, I'm curious to know if it would be worth the effort to change.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Speed of your sparse matrix implementation might be good enough already. My original selection was very slow.
                            New (dense matrix with LUP decomposition) is copied from here (see link to other page with download link):
                            https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj863137.aspx

Then I converted data type from double to Complex (System.Numerics). That part was very easy in this case.

Comment

Max. internal frequency returned back to 40 kHz in rev. 2.0.3.2 (2018-06-11). It doesn't bother anymore because network calculation is 15x faster than two days ago.
                              Also refreshing of parameters grid is returned how it was in version 1.1 to avoid lag in display while mouse wheeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X