No announcement yet.

VituixCAD v2 released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kimmo, apologies if you've answered this 100 times, but what does Vituix mean?

Comment

• Unrelated.. but I wish some of these software were open-source. It would be an interesting project to write an optimization/learning algorithms to identify optimal crossover/drivers combos (something I'd love to do as a spare project).

Comment

• Originally posted by mmu7 View Post
        Unrelated.. but I wish some of these software were open-source. It would be an interesting project to write an optimization/learning algorithms to identify optimal crossover/drivers combos (something I'd love to do as a spare project).
        Vituixcad has some of this functionality, and it works pretty well. LSPCad had a simpler version of it. Selecting driver combos is still very much a manual process.

Comment

• Originally posted by civit View Post
          Kimmo, apologies if you've answered this 100 times, but what does Vituix mean?
          Actually you're the first one who is asking this on any discussion forum. All native Finnish know that for sure. There's no direct translation to any other language because "vituix" is originally dialect word "vituiks", "vituiksi", "vituralleen" or "päin vittua" written in urban/teenage format where "ks" has been replaced with "x". It is bad language - the worst one of the following: "bitch up", "mess up", "f**k up" or "screw up". Superhero in my avatar is "Vituixman" which is dialect abbreviation from "meni vituiksi" = * was screwed up. It's parody from Superman by DC Comics. Dialog is modified over the original graphics by unknown Finnish author. That anti-hero screws up everything he touch.

So the name VituixCAD is just childish or bad local humor which is not okay for everyone. But this hobby should not be too serious.

Comment

• As Willy Wonka said (the original), "A little foolishness now and then, is relished by the wisest of men".
            Jay
            Jay
            Our greatest glory lies not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall.

Comment

• Preparation of response measurements for crossover simulation with VituixCAD updated for Convert IR to FR tool i.e. measurements are done with ARTA or Clio, and frequency responses are converted from pir/mls to txt/frd with VituixCAD. Refresh pdf to see the latest.

Comment

• Thank you so much for your amazing job!

Comment

• Originally posted by kimmosto View Post
                  Preparation of response measurements for crossover simulation with VituixCAD updated for Convert IR to FR tool i.e. measurements are done with ARTA or Clio, and frequency responses are converted from pir/mls to txt/frd with VituixCAD. Refresh pdf to see the latest.
                  Kimmo that's a huge update. Incredible work.

Comment

• Thanks!
                    One possibility is to add two small default buttons to help setup. Sequence would be:
                    1: open all tweeter's far field, click FF1 button, set left window, adjust right window, export
                    2: open all mid's far field, adjust right window, export
                    3: open all woofer's far field, adjust right window, export
                    4: open all near field, click NF button, export
                    done
                    maybe too easy

Comment

• ^I already tested default buttons and noticed that left window should be much longer than original value in the pdf. For example 15" PA coaxial might need 320 mm left window due to depth of tweeter's acoustic center. 18" woofer need at least 200 mm for near field due to shallow impulse.
                      Buttons will be in the next revision.

Comment

• Rev. 2.0.5.9 (2018-11-17)

Convert IR to FR
                        * Added 'Far 1' button to set default values for the 1st far field export (tweeter's).
                        * Added 'Near' button to set default values for near field export.
                        * See Preparation of response measurements for crossover simulation with VituixCAD for more information.

Comment

Rev. 2.0.5.9 (2018-11-17)

Convert IR to FR
                          * Added 'Far 1' button to set default values for the 1st far field export (tweeter's).
                          * Added 'Near' button to set default values for near field export.
                          * See Preparation of response measurements for crossover simulation with VituixCAD for more information.
                          So I just read through the new "Preparation of response measurements for crossover...." document and I have few questions.

Before I begin, just wanted to mention I'm new to speaker measurements and design.

The questions:

1) Is all "gating" performed in VituixCAD now? In the old version of the document, I remember it suggesting to first take measurement of the mid-woofer/woofer 80-degrees off axis to set the beginning marker of the gating . And all subsequent measurements would then be based on the same gating marker, which I assume was then help maintain the relative timing difference between different drivers.

2) Once processing the files based on the new document, do the output files all contain "minimum phase" (as opposed to measured phase)? I'm looking at the bottom of Page 5 of the document, where it states: "Check Minimum Phase if you want to compensate missing phase response of calibration file". Or is this referring to the microphone calibration file loaded in the immediately preceding step.

3) I don't think the older version of the document mentioned anything about loading the microphone calibration file. I know ARTA allows one to load in the microphones calibration file prior to taking measurements.

Thanks,
                          D

Comment

• ^
                            1) Yes. Measurement program just measures and saves impulse responses to ARTA PIR or CLIO MLS files. Everything else is done with VituixCAD.

2) Measurement files will contain measured phase. Minimum phase checkbox is for microphone calibration file only.

3) Microphone response compensation is done in the application which converts impulse responses to frequency responses with FFT. That application is now VituixCAD.

Comment

^

3) Microphone response compensation is done in the application which converts impulse responses to frequency responses with FFT. That application is now VituixCAD.
                              Got it - does that mean one should not load the Microphone Calibration file into ARTA before taking measurements?

Comment

• ^You can load and enable mic cal file also in ARTA, but that does not have any effect if frequency responses are finally exported with VituixCAD Convert IR to FR tool.

Comment

Working...
                                X