Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decision: best 12" or 15" stereo subwoofer design for MUSIC listening?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by decooney
    I'm wondering if I should just make a second box to port (as a test, see how it goes)
    IMO that's like performing exploratory surgery to diagnose an ailment, when what you should do first is take an x-ray or MRI. If you don't take measurements of your in-room response you can't know if there's anything broken that needs fixing, and if it's broken what the appropriate fix is.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Porting won't fix a placement issue. Neither will EQ. A placement issue can only be fixed by changing the placement and/or adding more subs.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Subway's pretty fast, but I think Jimmy John's has them beat.

Comment

Just read this in another post ...* have you check to insure the subs are in phase?

Comment

What are you using for speakers?* How do they sound when you run them full range without the subs?
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Do you actively cross the subs AND the mains?
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

There's several studies that show two or four subs have a more even room response than one sub (but that's also placement dependent). And your current subs' FR peak overlap with with your mains.* So to get the real low end (30s), including room gain, you have a serious peak circa the 50's (IIRC).* I'd try a test: both subs on music and the LP set very low (40s or 50s), sub volume adjusted accordingly.* That may impart a bunch of info.

Comment

Does your source include a preamp ahead of the tube amp? The right preamp could actively cross the signal to send the sub(s) the low frequencies via "sub out". Right now you have an overlap in the mains and sub(s) output, perhaps not conducive to the "seamless" blend you desire. Something as simple as an old Radio Shack spl meter and a test tone track could tell you what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                    Does your source include a preamp ahead of the tube amp? The right preamp could actively cross the signal to send the sub(s) the low frequencies via "sub out". Right now you have an overlap in the mains and sub(s) output, perhaps not conducive to the "seamless" blend you desire. Something as simple as an old Radio Shack spl meter and a test tone track could tell you what's going on.
                    WinISD will run a frequency sweep from a Windows PC.* There's this Windows based tone generation app,*SineGen*,I've used for many years and shared with other TT members. It doesn't "install" on the PC.* Just download it to a known location and double click the icon and ignore the warning about an unknown publisher..* There is no adware or any other malware issues.

Comment

Originally posted by decooney
                      No, the main speakers have two passive crossovers inside each speaker, bi-ampable. *The Dayton SPA-500 subwoofer plate amp(s) have their own built in crossovers. Right now I'm must running one sub with my music system. *Essentially, I'm running the main speakers full range straight out of my tube amplifier, and they go down to about 35hz. I run the sub crossover at about 70-80hz most of the time, maybe at 1/4 volume. While I realized I do get bass output and can turn it up to get more, I'm looking for more of a seamless blend between the sub and the mains, more "musical", less "boomy" is how I would describe what I'm after. *Thanks. * * *
                      If you're getting 35Hz from your mains, don't run the subs to 80Hz.Â* You'll get too much output in the range they overlap and I could easily understand where the "boomy" is coming from.

If you can run the sub crossover at 40Hz, try it.

Comment

Never mind, he's selling it all.

Oops, I should work on my reading comprehension. Wrong.
                        Last edited by djg; 05-31-2018, 06:46 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Pete, Chris:

Update -

Ported it 4" dia 14.5" long. Works great. A notable difference. Interesting, it also helped clear a few dead spots in the room too. Also, keeping it at 40hz helps not to interfere with mains and simply blends better with the mains.

While it sounds better, fills the room quite a bit more, less boomy or "peaky", I'm still kinda on the hunt for a woofer with a lighter cone more geared towards music than home theater. Wow, for HT, I had forgotten how amazing these woofers really are. Read some old posts, and most seem to prefer the Titanic/Ultimax for HT and comment preferring the HF Reference series for music. I might try replacing one for the Titanic with an RF 12" woofer at some point.

Thanks again.
                          Last edited by decooney; 06-09-2018, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X