No announcement yet.

Attn: Pe moderator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's amazing really. We flew men to the moon before the onset of PC's. Now we can barely fly a man out of cell phone range and fools claim the moon landing is fake news.

Comment

I believe it to be more of an issue of having a conservative mindset rather than an issue of age.

Some may disagree with me, but it seems that doing away with cursive and analog clocks as well as the past attempts to implement Ebonics in the curriculum and other such actions are all an extension of the PC culture so prevalent in today's society.
      Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

When I am evaluating patient's cognitive functioning, one of the standard tests is to ask them to do serial 7s, ie, start at 100 and subtract 7, then subtract 7 from that, and on down the line.*
        When I was in school, subtraction was taught in the second grade, not sure about now.
        But I am flabbergasted by how hard these adults seem to feel this is, and how they have to struggle to do it. Many of them cannot do more than one or two subtractions. You'd think I asked them to perform quantum mechanics!
        I don't think writing in cursive is the only thing that has been lost.*

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
          I believe it to be more of an issue of having a conservative mindset rather than an issue of age.

Some may disagree with me, but it seems that doing away with cursive and analog clocks as well as the past attempts to implement Ebonics in the curriculum and other such actions are all an extension of the PC culture so prevalent in today's society.
          Or a persistent devaluation and underfunding of public education.

Or a generation that has been exposed to the internet and smart devices with infinite information since brith.

Lots of reasons, I'd hesitiate to equate to a political position.
          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
          Wogg Music

Comment

The U.S, converting to Metric one inch at a time! I know it fairly well, but since I hardly ever use it, it isn't always fresh in my memory. I really prefer using Fahrenheit over Celsius.

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
              Or a persistent devaluation and underfunding of public education.
              Maybe that's the reason why the forum software never works correctly!

Comment

Originally posted by turn2 View Post
                It's amazing really. We flew men to the moon before the onset of PC's. Now we can barely fly a man out of cell phone range and fools claim the moon landing is fake news.
                Flew men to the Moon? More like shoot men to the Moon!

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post
                  When I am evaluating patient's cognitive functioning, one of the standard tests is to ask them to do serial 7s, ie, start at 100 and subtract 7, then subtract 7 from that, and on down the line.
                  When I was in school, subtraction was taught in the second grade, not sure about now.
                  But I am flabbergasted by how hard these adults seem to feel this is, and how they have to struggle to do it. Many of them cannot do more than one or two subtractions. You'd think I asked them to perform quantum mechanics!
                  I don't think writing in cursive is the only thing that has been lost.
                  Would it be alright if I use a calculator?

Comment

The U.S, converting to Metric one inch at a time! I know it fairly well, but since I hardly ever use it, it isn't always fresh in my memory. I really prefer using Fahrenheit over Celsius.
                    Maybe you could order metric tape measures from Amazon.* Millimeters and centimeters are a lot easier to use instead of struggling with fractional inches.* I know from experience.

Comment

I don't struggle with inches or fractions thereof. The rule on my table saw was in inches and so were all the blades and bits that I was using.

Comment

*I use both metric and Imperial: even though*Oz went metric in 1974, I still think of some things in miles or feet: I think '100 miles per hour' sounds more impressive than '162.5 km per hour', and 'six feet six' sounds more understandable and impressive than ? cm.

Babies are even now described in "pounds" by hospitals.* And of course, for speaker building the Jasper Circle Jig uses sixteenths of an inch.

But really,*the metric system is vastly easier to use than imperial.

Geoff

Comment

The metric system is clearly superior. I'm annoyed I was taught the Imperial system in school because all my intuituve estimations are in Imperial units and then I have to deal with them. As for cursive and analog clocks, they can go the way of calligraphy and sun dials as far as I'm concerned. They were the most effective ways to communicate at the time and they are no longer.

Dan
                          The Hurricanes
                          The Baronettes
                          Conneccentric
                          UX3

Comment

I guess we should dump the 360 degrees to a circle, the 24 hours to a day.

Do you know why the space shuttle solid rocket motors have the diameter they do?
                            CHARIOT WHEELS!!! What a concept!

The imperial units, inch, foot, yard, are remnants of humans being the measure of all things. They are as ancient as Sumeria and probably much older still.
                            Analog clock faces are far superior to digital clock faces.
                            And cursive is easier to use.
                            We don't always have a full battery or an internet connection.
                            Sometimes all you have is a hunk of charcoal and a smooth wall. Knowing how to write without a smart device is essential. And knowing how to tell the time by the sun casting a shadow will come in handy when stranded in the wilderness.
                            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by DanP View Post
                              The metric system is clearly superior. I'm annoyed I was taught the Imperial system in school because all my intuituve estimations are in Imperial units and then I have to deal with them.

Dan
                              Last edited by hudelson2; 05-24-2018, 03:14 AM.

Comment

I guess we should dump the 360 degrees to a circle, the 24 hours to a day.

Do you know why the space shuttle solid rocket motors have the diameter they do?
                                CHARIOT WHEELS!!! What a concept!

The imperial units, inch, foot, yard, are remnants of humans being the measure of all things. They are as ancient as Sumeria and probably much older still.
                                Analog clock faces are far superior to digital clock faces.
                                And cursive is easier to use.
                                We don't always have a full battery or an internet connection.
                                Sometimes all you have is a hunk of charcoal and a smooth wall. Knowing how to write without a smart device is essential. And knowing how to tell the time by the sun casting a shadow will come in handy when stranded in the wilderness.
                                A few years ago, the government department where I worked experienced an IT outage: for three days, there was no Internet or email; those under 30 went spare because they couldn't cope!* So, the oldies (including me of course) suggested they*ring people, write memos by hand, or - gasp - actually go and talk to people!* Radical concepts indeed.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                                X