No announcement yet.

Attn: Pe moderator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last I read, nuclear power plants require* both digital and analog gauges.* The digital readouts provide accurate numerical readings at a glance while analog gauges impart an intuitive feel of their rate of change.

Comment

I guess we should dump the 360 degrees to a circle, the 24 hours to a day.
      As soon as they're obsolete - absolutely.
      The Hurricanes
      The Baronettes
      Conneccentric
      UX3

Comment

I guess we should dump the 360 degrees to a circle, the 24 hours to a day.

Do you know why the space shuttle solid rocket motors have the diameter they do?
        CHARIOT WHEELS!!! What a concept!

12.17 feet in diameter? That is more than twice the height of the average human. I've never seen any renditions or actual museum chariots having wheels approaching anything that size. 12 feet tall would be one heck of a chariot. Even the Biblical Goliath wasn't that tall. Oh yeah, one other thing, the standard English/American railroad gauge supposedly being based on the width of Roman chariots is a myth. Roman chariot wheels weren't spaced 4ft.8.5in apart. Look up George Stephenson.
        . Click image for larger version  Name:	chariot-racing.jpg Views:	1 Size:	640.8 KB ID:	1376964

Comment

Oh yeah, I'm waiting for the 25 hour day. I could use an extra hour of sleep everyday.

Comment

My daughter just finished grade K this week, and she was learning subtraction.
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Sometimes all you have is a hunk of charcoal and a smooth wall. Knowing how to write without a smart device is essential. And knowing how to tell the time by the sun casting a shadow will come in handy when stranded in the wilderness.
              How do you solve a complex equation? big writing surface and utensil.
              How do you tell time after an EMP destroys life as we know it? The sun. Solar flares could actually be the possible cause of such a failure. Funny the solution is the cause.
              Later,
              Wolf
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I don't know that it's really all that difficult to understand, nor is it difficult to know and adapt either set of measurements.
                Off the top of my head:
                freeze and boil water; 0/100C and 32/212F.
                1" = 2.54 cm
                1mi = 5280'
                100km/hr = ~62mi/hr
                28.3 ltr = 1ft^3 = 1728 in^3
                8 ltr = 488 in^3
                1 ltr = 4"x4"x4" = 64 in^3 = 0.0353 ft^3
                1 m = 39.5"

I could rattle off more....

About the only equivalency I'd have to look up would be for mass, as we really do not use both here in the USA, at least not where both are applied in the same areas. To me, pounds make more sense because it's a much larger value, and 16oz = 1 pound so it's easy to break down. If everything was in kg, I suppose I could relate, but since it is usually in grams unless really heavy, I guess I don't see the usage being as practical.

Later,
                Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I have a kitchen scale where I weigh things out in grams. There is an option to select ounces but I keep the scale on grams. I don't think the small amount that a gram represents is a problem with Arabic numerals. Now if we had to use Roman numerals there would be a problem.
                  Inches divided in fractions are a hold over from the times before the decimal point was invented. John Napier invented the decimal point in 1614.
                  Last edited by hudelson2; 05-24-2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

That's easy to remedy. 1/4" = 0.25", and so on...
                    Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      That's easy to remedy. 1/4" = 0.25", and so on...
                      Wolf
                      I took drafting in high school with old school pencils, drafting tables and 30/60/90 triangles, the decimals down to 1/16" were burned into my head. Most of them are still there, but I do have to bust out the calculator for the odd ones, like 5/16".
                      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                      Wogg Music

Comment

I know a lot of them as well, and I too took a class in drafting.
                        Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I think and visualize in Imperial units but am quite comfortable working with Metric units (and like Wolf I have lots of conversion factors between the two burned into my memory).
                          Paul

Comment

I wish it was all metric, its easier to think in terms of 10s than it is in fractional values or where there are odd numbers, like 16 oz equals 1 lb.

Comment

12.17 feet in diameter? That is more than twice the height of the average human. I've never seen any renditions or actual museum chariots having wheels approaching anything that size. 12 feet tall would be one heck of a chariot. Even the Biblical Goliath wasn't that tall. Oh yeah, one other thing, the standard English/American railroad gauge supposedly being based on the width of Roman chariots is a myth. Roman chariot wheels weren't spaced 4ft.8.5in apart. Look up George Stephenson.

. Click image for larger version Name:	chariot-racing.jpg Views:	1 Size:	640.8 KB ID:	1376964
                              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I think for math and science the metric system is far more accurate, easy to make conversions and it is based on physical scientific constants, therefore superior in those applications. For everyday life I think the imperial system has a better relative scale. It just fits better when measuring everyday things.
                                Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X