Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Crossover assistance....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossover assistance....

I'm trying to get rid of the "bump" in the response just above 1kHz.* Any ideas? ZMA and FRD files are available if required.* The two drivers are coaxially-mounted, which I suspect is what's causing that peak. Acoustic x-over is around 2.9kHz.* It can go higher, but should not go lower than maybe 2.5kHz (The tweeter is an ND2F8, but this is a car audio build where power-handling is a bit more important). You can ignore the illustrated response below 900 Hz and about about 7kHz..
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Might have to notch it out. If it is car audio could you go active xover?

Comment

Comment

A bigger coil on the woofer should bring it down.* Then adjust your shunt cap(s) to bring the roll off back to where you want it.

Dan
        The Hurricanes
        The Baronettes
        Conneccentric
        UX3

Comment

If you post the FRDs and ZMAs and the offset I'll share the stepped low pass alternative to a notch.
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Your negative summing (around 3.5k) suggests a phase problem . . . so maybe try a 3rd order LP? Which woofer btw (OR, post up your F/Z files)?

Comment

Ok, here are the FRD and ZMA files for the drivers in question (SF 6.5" and ND28F) measured in the installed location. The drivers are coaxially-mounted with a z of 2.75" (derived). Thanks..!
              Attached Files
              Brian Steele
              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Brian what was the environment for the measurements and is it how you plan to use them?
                *Looks like you have no baffle step at all, did you have some amount in mind 3, 6 dB or ....?

Comment

Hi Pete, they were measured at their installed position in the car.
                  Brian Steele
                  www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Here's an idea.**
                    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

"Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
                        Ok, here are the FRD and ZMA files for the drivers in question (SF 6.5" and ND28F) measured in the installed location. The drivers are coaxially-mounted with a z of 2.75" (derived). Thanks..!
                        Did you try adding the LCR I suggested?

Comment

I used those same woofers in my Santa Fe with the Peerless OC25SC65 soft domes, but not a coaxial config. Could your bump be a rear reflection from the exterior door panel?*
                          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

That's quite possible. I really haven't done too much research into the cause.

Those Peerless drivers are interesting. How did you mount them in your car?

I used to use Seas neo tweeters which sounded amazing, but the heat in the car eventually got to them - noticeable distortion below 6kHz or so. I'm replacing them all with ND28s,
                            Brian Steele
                            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

This was done differently than I suggested. After reading your first post again, this may be crossed a little too low.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X