Compact car subwoofer suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compact car subwoofer suggestions?

Howdy everyone, it's been a while since I've been around here, but I'm back in need of some guidance.* I recently got a new car and the stereo in it just isn't quite up to the task so I've started looking for some options to bolster the system.* I've got a basic roadmap of what I'm doing down(add a sub, head unit "power pack" amplifier with a built in low pass to play nicer with the sub but keep the stock HU, and then eventually door speakers), but I'm looking at all the sub options out there and I'm not sure what to go with.*

I'm looking for something relatively compact as trunk space is somewhat limited, extension and SQ are the biggest priorities, it doesn't need to be stupidly loud either, just enough to balance with the door speakers nicely.* The only constraint, I'm currently not in much of a position to be able to do much of any woodwork, so at the moment I am currently just looking at options that include either pre-assembled or flat pack boxes, because putting boxes together I can do at least.* Amplification for the sub is TBD, although the best candidate I'm seeing so far is the rockford fosgate R500X1D, decent quality, and 300w into 4 ohms should be more than enough.* I'm trying to keep my budget around $200 on the sub and box, there is some wiggle room but I'm trying not to go crazy with this, I just know I want something a little better than the bazooka sub I had in my last car.

I was looking at/considering the RSS210HO-4 and RSS265HO-4 bundles on PE with the flat pack cabinets, but I'm not sure how well they would work in a car audio situation, so any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cabs intended for home use are much larger than you need for a car, due to the cabin gain that a car gives. Model the driver in a sealed cab with an f3 of 60Hz or so and it should go to 40Hz or lower in a car. This shows a typical result of in car versus out of car:
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/79...-8.html#manual
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
      Cabs intended for home use are much larger than you need for a car, due to the cabin gain that a car gives. Model the driver in a sealed cab with an f3 of 60Hz or so and it should go to 40Hz or lower in a car. This shows a typical result of in car versus out of car:
      https://www.manualslib.com/manual/79...-8.html#manual
      60hZ F3?* Really?* Thats really poor advice, especially when the OP states extension is one of the 2 key priorities.* People need to stop thinking that "cabin gain" is some magical wonder that happens in a car and makes a midbass sound like a sub. It doesn't happen, and relying on what gain does occur is a poor plan.* You're better off starting with something that will play as low as you need, and if it starts sounding boomy, EQ it down.

OP, is your car a sedan?* For your needs, I'd be looking at IB, or infinite baffle.* Aside from that, the JBL that Bill linked is a good little sub, as is the Infinity version of it.

Comment

When a 60Hz half-space F3 translates into a 35Hz F3 in the car the cab is large enough. If it wasn't for cabin gain auto dB contests wouldn't register the numbers they do. https://data-bass.com/data?page=content&id=2
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Which model car? A sedan with a standard rear deck could support small IB driver(s) and wouldn't take much trunk space at all.

Comment

I feel like I just posted this and am possibly spamming the board with my own site. But... RSS265HF in about 1 cube in my car http://woggmusic.com/the-art-of-do-i...peaker-design/ Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
            Wogg Music

Comment

It's a 16' Ford Focus sedan, and it does have quite a large rear deck with nothing installed in it and I considered going IB, but I wasn't sure how I could go around installing something without having to cut/hack it up, let alone what drivers would work well for that.*

Just for grins and giggles I modeled up that dayton RSS210HO-4 and I'm a little bit confused how they came up with that f3 of 40hz, because while I admit I'm rusty at modeling sub boxes and I know winISD isn't the best, I can't for the life of me get it to model in a sealed cab with an f3 of any less than 55hz, although it can have a nice slow roll-off with the f10 easily down into the high 20s with a box of less than 1ft^3, but I digress.** I'm still contemplating it, just because it's a nice flat pack, and now thanks to bill I have at least a bit better understanding of how much cabin gain actually can do.* There is also a slightly smaller flat pack at least that PE sells, but it doesn't have any of the internal bracing and is only about an inch smaller each direction which doesn't make a whole lot of difference to be honest.* I'd rather have the stiffer enclosure with the double thick baffle anyway.

But, to explore all the options, how would I potentially go about looking at an IB setup instead, and is it possible to do so without cutting holes in the rear deck for the speakers?* And what sort of drivers would I even want to go with for that?

Comment

The '16 Focus had a ten speaker audio option that, I presume, would put speakers in the rear deck. Check to see if the cutouts exist in the rear deck.* The speaker holes may be there under the trim or It might be a simple "knock out" get the speaker holes.* If so, note the size of the holes (6x9, 6" round, etc.).* *There's lots of drivers that could work in that scenario.

Comment

I'm actually waiting to get the car back from having hail damage fixed on it so I can't see it to make sure until tomorrow but I believe the premium system was just a woofer and tweeter in each door, a center speaker on the dash, and a small sub in the trunk to make 10, I don't believe it has any in the rear deck, unfortunately.*** https://carcostcanada.com/ResearchPh...edan_06900.jpg

Comment

Crutchfield lists potential speakers in the upper and lower front doors and in the rear door for a total of 4 or 6 speakers maximum. I'm guessing that the front doors hold one woofer and one tweeter each. Nothing is listed for the rear deck

Comment

That*R500X1D is a really nice amp for the money. There are quite a few subs out there that perform well in 22 liters (or less) sealed. A few will even go fairly low, without being one note wonders. I had a Sundown shallow mount 12" that I really liked. My son found a track with repeating 33Hz notes that made us both a little nauseous about half way through the song.*
                      Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

You're right. The pic tells the story. But that rear deck looks ripe for cutting out the cross beams on each side and mounting a pair of enclosed sub's attached to the underside of the deck. They would work well and save the trunk. It might even take a pair of 6x9s as is - screwed into the steal deck.

Alas, I can appreciate you don't have the facilities for custom work.* So a boxed sub in the trunk may be best.* One suggestion; make the boxed* sub easy to disconnect and remove for those odd times when you need the entire unobstructed trunk space.

Comment

Originally posted by TheForgotten1 View Post
                          I just know I want something a little better than the bazooka sub I had in my last car.
                          Which Bazooka subwoofer did you have? They range in size from 6.5" to 10" and come in both amplified and passive versions. Some of them are actually pretty decent designs, but it's not unheard of for users to replace the drivers with more capable ones. Apart from the 12" version though, they seem tuned a bit high (probably emphasizing output over extension).
                          Brian Steele
                          www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

1 cu.ft. net enclosures can look pretty big once placed in a car's trunk. The picture for example is one of my "Boom Unit" placed in the back of my car for testing. Net volume is about 0.94 cu.ft.
                            Brian Steele
                            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by emilime75 View Post
                              the JBL that Bill linked is a good little sub, as is the Infinity version of it.
                              I don't think that particular driver, or its Infinity equivalent, is available anymore.

Brian Steele
                              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Working...
                              X