Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHY don't all Manufactures give a detailed specification sheet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WHY don't all Manufactures give a detailed specification sheet


  • #2
    Here are the examples and yes I forgot to upload them with main post.

    Comment


    • #3
      Who knows? ?

      Read some "autosound" woofer "specs". Most of them (like magnet weight - "driver has a robust 7 lb magnet" ! ! ! ) don't matter ONE BIT. Marketing "hype".

      Comment


      • #4
        Because that kind of testing and documentation costs money, and for the vast majority of driver implementations (possibly bordering on 99%) specs of any kind do not matter - they get plopped into mass produced boomboxes, clock radios, sold as dirt cheap replacement drivers for cars, blue tooth speakers for Xmas stocking stuffing, show up in very poorly designed HTIB speakers, etc. Cases where the entirety of the engineering consists of "We need a driver at X diameter and Y cost".*

        Besides - even drivers that cost upwards of $100 (looking at you Aurum Cantus) or more have spec sheets that should not be trusted. Even providing simple mechanical drawings would seem to be something that cannot be screwed up - but there have been plenty of typo's and c***ups on even that seemingly simple data.*

        My advice is to not trust any spec sheets and learn how to derive that data yourself. You would think manufacturers would have a vested interest in making sure their product matches their literature, but apparently they do not. It is a rare driver that meets advertised in the first place - and cost is nowhere near a reliable indicator of how much QC the manufacturer sticks into each unit. Dayton is very, very good about not selling items that do not meet spec for example, but a lot of the European and higher end Chinese manufacturers have yet to figure out how to do what they say they are doing.*

        So long story short - spec sheets are cute but I generally do not trust them as far as I can throw my table saw.*
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

        Comment


        • #5
          The vast majority of buyers only look at inches and watts, and lack the ability to make use of full specs anyway, so retailers going after that market don't concern themselves with specs. Besides, there are far too many drivers that have published specs to bother worrying about those that don't.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
            The vast majority of buyers only look at inches and watts, and lack the ability to make use of full specs anyway, so retailers going after that market don't concern themselves with specs. Besides, there are far too many drivers that have published specs to bother worrying about those that don't.
            That about sums it up. If the manufacturer doesn't care about specs, that says something right there.

            *
            Francis

            Comment


            • #7
              GRS doesn't even provide a graph nothing , they are a crap shoot on the other hand reviews of buyers/builders who purchase them seem to be satisfied.

              Comment


              • #8
                Then again, look at just about any Tang Band driver spec sheet graphs and they all look the same, nice and flat, that has to be BS. and many who do provide a response curve seem to leave out the off axis response, like someone said it is probably best to order a driver and run your own tests on it. but this is a Business that deals with technical specifications provided by the Manufacturer and we the consumers of these products NEED a reliable set of complete specs,and response curves and polar response graphs and the only ones that seem to provide all that are Ceiling speaker driver Manufactures. Very strange.


                Steve

                Comment


                • #9
                  Being older, I remember when the ONLY specifications provided were un-referenced - size, frequency range, and power handling.
                  So what is available ( spec -wize ) is an advancement.
                  Call it stoic pragmatism
                  "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                  “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                  "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sdep777 View Post
                    Then again, look at just about any Tang Band driver spec sheet graphs and they all look the same, nice and flat, that has to be BS. and many who do provide a response curve seem to leave out the off axis response, like someone said it is probably best to order a driver and run your own tests on it. but this is a Business that deals with technical specifications provided by the Manufacturer and we the consumers of these products NEED a reliable set of complete specs,and response curves and polar response graphs and the only ones that seem to provide all that are Ceiling speaker driver Manufactures. Very strange.


                    Steve
                    Not really surprising. Ceiling speakers are specified by engineers as part of building design. We engineers demand specs
                    Francis

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                      ...We engineers demand specs
                      And Guitar Players are looking for Tone.
                      "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                      “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                      "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is why I bought the DATs and a microphone is next, and it will be good to take it up several notches, but the people who buy drivers and spend all that money and time without being able to do home testing are relying on basically spec sheets that are not fully reliable. that is terrible.

                        Steve -

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sdep777 View Post
                          This is why I bought the DATs and a microphone is next, and it will be good to take it up several notches, but the people who buy drivers and spend all that money and time without being able to do home testing are relying on basically spec sheets that are not fully reliable. that is terrible.

                          Steve -
                          If you look at noob posts here, it seems that many people think drivers are like peas in a pod; an 8" woofer (for example) is just that, and is interchangeable with any other 8" woofer. So specs will be wasted on them. And you should keep Beranek's Law in mind:

                          Beranek's Law

                          It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.

                          L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.
                          Francis

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Very well put.

                            Steve -

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X