GRS 10SW-4...passive radiator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRS 10SW-4...passive radiator

Received my 10sw-4 driver today. Sealed enclosure arrives tomorrow.

But, that's for my SUV.

I'd like to have a stereo pair of HT subs to go with my Infinity IL40 main towers.

Don't get me wrong...the IL40s dig deep, and sound fantastic, with music. Especially being 8in woofers.

But I'd like to relieve them from the more abusive LF involved with movies.
    My most inexpensive option so far is dual, active, Dayton 10s at $120 each. I have one in another room, and it's great for the money.

But I'm looking for good musical accuracy, yet small and deep on the cheap.

Small size is due to WAF, preferably 1.5ft3 each...at most!

I should have bought 2 of the 8in Infinty or jbl car subs long sought for this type of thing, but sadly I couldn't at the time and now they're no longer available.

Hoping GRS 10sw guru johnnyrichards can give some solid advice. My only other option is an Iso setup...not ideal for home use, especially with a 2yo and 1yo kid.

The forum search appears to be completely broken. Check out ISO El-Cheapo in the project gallery. Those GRS don't dig really deep on their own for HT use, but are decent for music. That ISO project will get them in the ballpark for home theatre though. You could drive a pair of ISO subs with a single plate amp, series parallel to get them back to 4 ohms.

Edit: you mention passive radiator. That seems silly to me since the PR will cost more than the speaker(s) themselves. I'd stick with a classic port.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music

Comment

I did reply to your PM with a few options for dialing these in.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
        The forum search appears to be completely broken. Check out ISO El-Cheapo in the project gallery. Those GRS don't dig really deep on their own for HT use, but are decent for music. That ISO project will get them in the ballpark for home theatre though. You could drive a pair of ISO subs with a single plate amp, series parallel to get them back to 4 ohms.

Edit: you mention passive radiator. That seems silly to me since the PR will cost more than the speaker(s) themselves. I'd stick with a classic port.
        I saw you Iso build Wogg, nice! Yeah, I was thinking the PRs would throw the budget aspect of this out the window. Port would probably allow for more precise/specific tuning as well. I may actually be able to do dual iso subs and place them where the kids can't get to them.

Comment

Originally posted by zagnutty View Post

I saw you Iso build Wogg, nice! Yeah, I was thinking the PRs would throw the budget aspect of this out the window. Port would probably allow for more precise/specific tuning as well. I may actually be able to do dual iso subs and place them where the kids can't get to them.
          I'd throw it on legs and downfire. You could even wrap some grill cloth around the legs for kid proofness
          Wogg Music

Comment

Hey Wogg on your write of of the ISO build did you been 1.15 cubic feet? Did you ever end up building the optimized version?

Comment

Originally posted by Ranis View Post
              Hey Wogg on your write of of the ISO build did you been 1.15 cubic feet? Did you ever end up building the optimized version?
              No sir, never built a new box for them. Not worth the time for a teenager's car who's spent more time with a suspended license than an active one
              Wogg Music

Comment

I wanted to build two of these for a friend, he is cheap and tight on space so I thought if they are only in a 1.15 cubic foot box so that should be nice and small. Then I started thinking at $80 is it better to just get a better sub?

Comment

I wanted to build two of these for a friend, he is cheap and tight on space so I thought if they are only in a 1.15 cubic foot box so that should be nice and small. Then I started thinking at $80 is it better to just get a better sub?
                  I'd say yes.. get a better driver that'll like a small box. These GRS subs like a bit more volume ported, though there are some here that are quite happy with them sealed and EQ'd in small boxes.
                  Wogg Music

Comment

I have two 8in ultimax that I am probably gonna do a small box that will work both ported and sealed and use those instead. I bought them for myself but if my friend likes them I may just give them to him.

Comment

I'd throw it on legs and downfire. You could even wrap some grill cloth around the legs for kid proofness
                      I wouldn't be able to do clamshell down firing. Since they would be to augment my current towers, I'd be placing the towers on top of them, to help with keeping the imaging. My infinity IL40s are about 40-41in tall as it is. Worried that an additional 12, underneath for a sub, would throw imaging off as it is. I can't imagine them being 18-20in higher.
                      The clamshell iso would be in the back of each tower, reflecting off the rear wall. These towers like being at least 10-12 inches from the rear wall since they are rear ported, which I think would help maintain the imaging of this combination even better...at least in theory it sounds plausible.

I'd say yes.. get a better driver that'll like a small box. These GRS subs like a bit more volume ported, though there are some here that are quite happy with them sealed and EQ'd in small boxes.
                      This is exactly what I'm doing with my Explorer this weekend. 1.1ft3 sealed. While 1.1ft3 isn't really considered small for automotive use these days, was hard to pass up a sub, enclosure, and amp for about $100 total (not including wiring).
                      My high power, SQ, four 12in JL audio 145db+ days are 20 years behind me.

If this sub fails to deliver, or dies from the 190wrms I'll be feeding it, I'll spend $100 on a good, current, JL and smaller box.

With 3 kids, two in car seats, space is a premium. I forgot how big even a 1ft3 box is in a vehicle.

Comment

I have two 8in ultimax that I am probably gonna do a small box that will work both ported and sealed and use those instead. I bought them for myself but if my friend likes them I may just give them to him.
                        If I could afford a dual/stereo Ultimax build, I'd do it in a heartbeat! I'll be your friend if you want to give a friend 2 8in Ultimax subs!

Comment

Those 8" Ultimax are over rated and have a serious design flaw - the edge of the cone bottoms out against the frame. Stupid design. Can't vouch for the other sizes, though. The 8" is probably fine if you don't push it very hard, but then why waste the money.
                          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Lol ya I just really enjoy building speakers so I try to build things I think would work for other people.

I didn't realize they had the design flaw John. How early does it stats bottom out?

Comment

Also zag I am not sure you want to put the subs undruneund. I think you would be better off placing the sub in different parts of the room and see how it sounds, each room is different and will require a different location .

Comment

Working...
                              X