Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted AVR - What to do???

Hey Everyone,

I find myself in a sort-of-technical pickle, so I figured I'd ask the smartest folks I know . Now that I've buttered you all up... my beloved Marantz SR6009 receiver has had something of an issue. I think it got into a fight with some stray lightning during a recent storm, and the HDMI output seems to be 100% busted. The rest of the receiver appears to be fine. Sound comes through the speakers OK, and I can even connect to the receiver via the web application to change just about every setting... I just can't "see" what I'm doing otherwise.

An AVR without a video output is basically an over-featured amplifier with too many knobs and ways to mess things up, so I wonder if anyone has suggestions on how to recoup some of my investment here? Do others in my situation find success selling them on ebay for bottom dollar?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

P.S. While not the main point of this thread... I will also entertain suggestions for a good surround processor to replace this one! I don't have any desire to go full Atmos with eleventy-billion channels in my ceiling. A relatively simple 7.2 channel setup will suit me just fine.
    Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
    Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
    The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
    SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

You may be able to get a replacement daughter board that will repair the issue. Be aware if it was a lightning strike chances are other sensitive circuits have also been damaged and might die soon. :(I
    Best repair is a n insurance claim.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
      You may be able to get a replacement daughter board that will repair the issue. Be aware if it was a lightning strike chances are other sensitive circuits have also been damaged and might die soon. :(I
      Best repair is a n insurance claim.
      Thanks Ken. Im going to look into the insurance claim route. (NotReally )Funny you mention other sensitive circuits... My suspicion is the power surge went through my Epson HomeCinema 8350 Projector's HDMI, down the cable, and into my AVR. The projector suddenly doesn't seem to like any input on HDMI 1... just gives me the whole "no signal" routine.

HDMI 2 on the other hand is finicky. If I use the original HDMI cable that lived in slot 2, the projector won't recognize any signals until I reboot it. Using a different HDMI cable, it will recognize my macbook air about 10% of the time through the adapter I use, while it recognizes my blu-ray player and windows laptop every time.

How does one prove a lightening strike anyhow???

Comment

Originally posted by KEtheredge87 View Post

How does one prove a lightening strike anyhow???
        By saying it happened. How can the insurance company prove it wasn't?

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
        Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
        The Archers
        Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
        The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post

By saying it happened. How can the insurance company prove it wasn't?
          Fair point!

Comment

Almost impossible to accurately diagnose.
            you should try a "master reset" look in your owners manual. This might help, it's a LONG shot.
            If you can replace the affected boards you might have a good repair for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
              Almost impossible to accurately diagnose.
              you should try a "master reset" look in your owners manual. This might help, it's a LONG shot.
              If you can replace the affected boards you might have a good repair for cheap.
              Thanks Ken, I did attempt the master reset to no avail. Even trying to find the board for sale online has been interesting. I cracked open the case last night and found "digital_cup12638z_a_mp" printed on the board I suspect of being the issue. It hosts all the HDMI in and out ports, and several Panasonic and Analog Devices ICs. When I searched for it on google, I only found one guy selling a busted one on ebay, and his picture did not look like what I was seeing.

Comment

Can't you just route the HDMI directly to the display? I'm one of the people that does this. HDMI from source to display, and alternate connection for audio to preamp. I have 3 different routes hooked up to my preamp for audio; 6 channel discrete, optical, and coaxial spdif. I normally use the optical, as the sound does not roll off the treble like the coaxial connection tends to do in my particular case (measured FR change!), and the DAC in the preamp sounds better than that of in the source.

Just spitballing,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

It sounds like he is trying to see functions and menus from the receiver itself. I run my various sources into the tele
                  and come out of it via Toslink optical, that way whatever is on the "tube" automatically shows up on the audio system.

It seems to cut back on remote hell and confused wifeys. (it can also isolate ground/computer noise).

And does not help in your situation!
                  Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by KEtheredge87 View Post
                    An AVR without a video output is basically an over-featured amplifier with too many knobs and ways to mess things up.
                    Agreed, but that's all they sell these days. I've never used an AVR as the video source. I send my video sources direct to the TV, and take the audio out of the TV to the receiver. That's why they make TVs with multiple inputs. If I could buy a 5.1 receiver without video capability I would.

Â*
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Thanks Gentlemen. This particular setup has been given an extra dose of fancy, and has HDMI cables run through the ceiling to the projector, so running video straight to the "TV" is a bit of a challenge. Additionally, two of my main sources are stick-based (Chromecast and Roku), so I don't have digital audio outs from those anyway.

Xmax is correct that I can't get any of the AVR menus to display, thus I'm essentially out of commission. Yes... I *could* use my laptop and connect over the network to change AVR settings... but that is the epitome of hassle in my mind!

I'll be calling my insurance company later today to see what we can do for a homeowner's claim.

Comment

Meanwhile, check accessories4less for bargains on AVR receivers.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
                          It sounds like he is trying to see functions and menus from the receiver itself. I run my various sources into the tele
                          and come out of it via Toslink optical, that way whatever is on the "tube" automatically shows up on the audio system.

It seems to cut back on remote hell and confused wifeys. (it can also isolate ground/computer noise).

And does not help in your situation!
                          You lose the high bit rate multi channel options doing this, like DTS-MA and Dolby Digital + since S/PDIF will only carry compressed Dolby Digital or DTS. I kicked that arrangement to the curb when my new Roku 4 wouldn't pass digital surround through anymore, it wanted DD+ or stereo PCM, nothing in between.
                          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                          Wogg Music

Comment

Did you try calling Marantz?

https://marantz.encompass.com/modelbrowse/MAR/5/1
                            Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
                              I haven't tried to call them directly yet. Might be worth a shot. Pessimistically I expect they will direct me to an approved service center.

Originally posted by skatz View Post
                              Meanwhile, check accessories4less for bargains on AVR receivers.
                              Yessir. Accessories4Less is one of my favorites! The way things are shaking out, I might just get a decent quality AVR and treat it as a processor.

Comment

Working...
                              X