Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To select a 10" woofer

Hello all,

I realize that this an easy question to put, but perhaps more difficult to answer.

I am planning for a “conventional” 3-way for my vintage Citation 11/12-combo (it feels like I have mentioned this before…)

The plan is to house the woofer (10”) in a abt 45L closed box and the Mid/Tw in a small box on top, so that the delta-AC Wo/Mid can be adjusted easily.

Mid: Peerless 5” 830991
    Tw:SEAS 27TFFNC/CG
    XO: 300/3000, order? Later!

Now to my question on the choice of a suitable woofer. I have three basic alternatives that all of them appear to enjoy the concept of working in a CB-situation:
    • Dayton RS270-8
    • MONACOR SPH-10M
    • Scan-Speak 25W/8565

They differ considerably in cost in Sweden but now, I am more interested to hear if anyone of you have any spontaneous thoughts on the choice? Any experience and pros/cons?

Best regards//lasse
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Perry Mason talking to his dentist:

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

You might add the SBAcoustics 10" SB29NRX75-6 to your list. It looks like it fits a 40 ltr box quite well (F3 of about 40hz)and should be available at a reasonable price in Sweden.
    -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
    My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
    The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Originally posted by BOBinGA View Post
      You might add the SBAcoustics 10" SB29NRX75-6 to your list. It looks like it fits a 40 ltr box quite well (F3 of about 40hz)and should be available at a reasonable price in Sweden.
      That is one of my favorite 10" woofers. If available in Sweden, I second that recommendation.

Dan
      The Hurricanes
      The Baronettes
      Conneccentric
      UX3

Comment

Hi and thanks for the advice.

That driver costs abt the same as the Dayton, that is 3000 Swedish crowns for a pair. Abt 400 USD.

regards// Lasse

"Do you swear to take the tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth, so help you God?"

Comment

Seems a bit pricey for the other budget drivers. Maybe the Dayton SD270A-88.
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

There is also a SB Acoustics Satori W024P-04 10" woofer available which is extremely efficient at 91 dB and will put out 109 dB and get to 34 hz with only 90 watts in 42 liters vented or 55 hz in a 18-25 liter sealed box. I have no experience with it but the Satori products seem to be well respected, the numbers look good with a lesser powered amp, and it's slightly under $200 US. It's about about 33% more expensive than the SB 10". listed above. Two cents worth from a noob but experts can weigh in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Satori.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1378343 .
            Attached Files

Comment

Do you have a preference for 4 or 8 ohms?

Did you consider a tower format?

Do you already have the mid and tweeter, open to other options?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
                Do you have a preference for 4 or 8 ohms?

Did you consider a tower format?

Do you already have the mid and tweeter, open to other options?
                Why you giving him even more questions?

Comment

Because I'm curious.

Comment

Well, I actually have the boxes and the other drivers, so I decided to reduce the complexity to an initial question of woofer choise. The XO topology Will be next after in-box measurements.

I have a few options to choose other mids and tweeters but I havent used a ”cone-mid” before ( apart from KEF B110 and that was a loong time ago) so I thought It Could be fun to try. The tweeter is chosen due to its size on the baffle.

I think that my old Citation 12 is more comfortable with a impedance situation not straining it to the limit so, preferrably eightish ohms.

regards// Lasse

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                      Seems a bit pricey for the other budget drivers. Maybe the Dayton SD270A-88.
                      Yes, but for some reason, drivers are expensive in Sweden, compared to the US. And perhaps even more so in the future for US-made drivers IF EU decides to apply
                      extra taxes on drivers, not only HD-bikes and peanutbutter......

Comment

This might give you some ideas: https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/tarkus

Comment

That peerless woofer in the Tarkus really impressed me especially for its price. Good suggestion!

Comment

Hi again,

Posting a few pictures to clarify the plan.

I already have the cabinets and the general setup is agreed upon with my wife so that can be treated as a intergalactic constant…..

I plan to house the woofer in the lower (!) box but as high up as possible on a new black front mounted baffle with rounded edges for looks.

The Mid/tweeter will be placed in the upper box also on a front mounted baffle and this is baffle layout/area restricted I that sense that if I choose a cone mid, then there is only place för a smallish tweeter as the one planned (SEAS 27TFFNC/CG, H1406) or perhaps a Peerless KO10DT, but that is probably not good. A “full-size” tweeter with a 110 mm faceplate can simply not be housed unless I go for a dome mid as Dayton RS58AN-8 or ITT LPKM or similar.

Thank you for the suggestions on woofers. I think that I go for a new one (not one in my present inventory or on the market on Swedish Ebay) and this “boils is down to”:
                            Dayton RS270-8
                            SBAcoustics SB29NRX75-6
                            Peerless 830668 SLS

Best regards//
                            lasse
                            Stockholm, Sweden
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1178.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	480.6 KB
ID:	1378385Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1179.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	1378386

Comment

The 4" HDS Perlesses are rather small with their truncated frames(you might fit the 5.25" also).
                              They are quite nice, very high max spl when not doing bass, and sensitive enough for a three-way.

I don't know about availability over there, but the 'classic' 5.25" is more sensitive, and very flat, dropping off like a dome mid at the top.
                              One of my favorites, its ancestor was easy to use back in the old, pre-computer dark ages.(of course, they did not bring them back till I had redone some old speakers with the HDSs a few years ago)

Comment

Working...
                              X