Morel MDT-22 and Dayton ES180TiA-8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morel MDT-22 and Dayton ES180TiA-8

This will be the first time I actually try to design a crossover. I know for sure I want to use the Esoteric woofer, and just had the Morel laying around from another project. I had an email out to PE, and they recommended a fourth order crossover no higher than 3500hz, and suggested l pads to bring the level of the Morel to match that of the woofer. I don't like that idea, and I also think 3500hz is a bit too high. I am not dead set on using the Morel, as I have interest in the RST28F and Peerless DA25TX00. I also am aware this will be a pretty inefficient design. I guess I'm just looking for a bit of guidance I suppose. Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks

David

The RST with the SEOS WG would go low enough to help deal with the 1Kish bump in the Esoteric woof.
    Just a random thought.
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...eos-wave-guide
    Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
      The RST with the SEOS WG would go low enough to help deal with the 1Kish bump in the Esoteric woof.
      Just a random thought.
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...eos-wave-guide
      I think this would be a pretty interesting idea. Cross it at 1K ish? I'm curious if anyone has managed to do a beveled baffle with a SEOS WG. I think I have a SEOS 10 or 12 laying around, that'd be way too big though. And this would require the RST to be padded almost 10 db, correct?

Comment

I think 1K is pushing it, but maybe... Even if it was 1500hz the XO could start shaping the response 800-1k
        and if I recall the Esoteric does have a small peak in that area and yes you will need a substantial pad.
        I am referring to SEOS-8 modded for the new PE RST28. I have the parts laying around so I might be
        able to help.
        Guess xmax's age.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about padding down the tweeter - the sensitivity of the the woofer almost always determines the overall speaker sensitivity. TheES180TiA-8 is spec'd at about 85 dB @ 2.83V and you'll usually lose 3- 6 dB for BSC compensation in the crossover. You'd have to pick a woofer with higher sensitivity if you don't want to pad the tweeter.
          "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Originally posted by ernperkins View Post
            I wouldn't worry about padding down the tweeter - the sensitivity of the the woofer almost always determines the overall speaker sensitivity. TheES180TiA-8 is spec'd at about 85 dB @ 2.83V and you'll usually lose 3- 6 dB for BSC compensation in the crossover. You'd have to pick a woofer with higher sensitivity if you don't want to pad the tweeter.
            I'd actually like to build this around the woofer, so finding a tweeter that has an abnormally low sensitivity would be ideal, which led me to look at the Peerless DA25TX00, which is around 88 db. The Morel, which I already have, is around 89 db. Nothing is concrete except the woofer, I can always find another use for the Morel.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
              I think 1K is pushing it, but maybe... Even if it was 1500hz the XO could start shaping the response 800-1k
              and if I recall the Esoteric does have a small peak in that area and yes you will need a substantial pad.
              I am referring to SEOS-8 modded for the new PE RST28. I have the parts laying around so I might be
              able to help.
              That would be completely awesome! I've been messing around with Bagby's crossover designer, but I have no idea how to work with it with a tweeter in a wave guide. That is completely over my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Rdmarsiii View Post
                I'd actually like to build this around the woofer, so finding a tweeter that has an abnormally low sensitivity would be ideal, which led me to look at the Peerless DA25TX00, which is around 88 db. The Morel, which I already have, is around 89 db. Nothing is concrete except the woofer, I can always find another use for the Morel.
                Lowering the output level of a tweeter is almost alway required. There is no need to worry about having to pad it down.
                -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                  Lowering the output level of a tweeter is almost alway required. There is no need to worry about having to pad it down.
                  So I should continue with the idea of using the Morel with the Dayton woofer?

Comment

Or any tweeter you want.
                    Guess xmax's age.

Comment

How about 2 ES180ti in parallel and a wavecor 30mm tweet? Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
                        How about 2 ES180ti in parallel and a wavecor 30mm tweet? Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
                        I've read nothing but good things about the wavecor. With two of the ES180Ti's, that'd be one massive standmount, or could make a nice floor stander. My original thoughts was to start with a stand mount, then maybe eventually build something similar to Wilson's Puppy. I listened to a pair of Wilson Sophia's this past weekend, and its just got my mind running ninety to nothing.

Comment

2 x ES180ti only need about 32litres. A standmount is possible, around 45Hx29Wx35D. Maybe similar in appearance to the AE2, but larger scale. Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
                            2 x ES180ti only need about 32litres. A standmount is possible, around 45Hx29Wx35D. Maybe similar in appearance to the AE2, but larger scale. Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
                            This route with them arranged TMM, I could still do a beveled baffle. It'd bring the overall sensitivity up. There's two different images when I google the AE2, but I get the overall idea. I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed with the Morel since I'm sort of wanting these to be my reference speakers. In the project gallery, Dan Neubecker had a project called the Premios. He uses a Transducer Lab tweet, but since they've recently gone under, I'm guessing they will soon be NLA.

Comment

Solen (in Canada) has the Premios' tweeter (N26CFR-A) on sale for $124 (CAD) right now. The only have 4 in stock, so jump quickly if you want them. Dan has numerous great designs and I'm sure the Premios wouldn't disappoint.
                              "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

Working...
                              X