Clear All

• CNC woodburning...

Wow...
    https://hackaday.com/tag/wood-burning/

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Cool! I'm playing with something similar using a 2.5W laser CNC engraver from china. EleksMaker A3 Pro

I ordered it from Banggood rather than GearBest, but you get the idea.
    Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
    Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
    The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
    SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

Been considering getting a laser engraver. Might buy one of these k40's to mess with. They need like $200-600 in upgrades to be more reliable for selling stuff but for a 500-800 you can get a pretty decent laser engraver. Its 12x8 working area stock but with a different bed it can be expanded a bit. https://www.ebay.com/i/371975583465?...3D371975583465
      My Build Thread's
      Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

I've been researching these low powered (<15 watt) open frame Chinese laser engravers and the weak point seems to be the CNCC LaserAxe software. At least some (maybe all) of the machines use a Chinese arduino clone controller and can be flashed with the free laserGRBL or other 3rd party software. The laserGRBL software apparently handles dxf and gcode files much better according to youtube videos. Another issue is that on some of the open frame units the focal length cannot be adjusted so the object height under the laser would need to be supported at the proper focal length. The open frame type machines are available with a working area of up to 1 meter square and state an accuracy of .1 or ..01 mm, (.00394 - .000394) neither of which I believe since the motion is controlled by stepper motors and a toothed nylon belt. Be aware of these issues.

Comment

randyohoh , I agree the low cost lasers are certainly not perfect. I chose the EleksLaser A3 unit because there seems to be a large community of open-source support and 3rd party improvements via 3D printed parts off thingiverse. As far as the stepper motors go, I have blindly followed the maker-masses and upgraded the stepper driver chips to a "silent stick" module made by Trinamic. These supposedly interpolate the motor's steps to give a much smoother transition, and at the very least make the stepper motor operation nearly silent (vs. the square-wave-ish rumbling noise they normally make).

The focal length question (at least on my unit) is addressed by a cradle that holds the laser module via thumbscrews on the sides. You can raise or lower the laser unit to help account for work height before you start. Additionally, the laser unit has a focus lens on the bottom that you adjust by twisting the lens (The aperture is basically a threaded section where the lens is built into the nut). I've seen folks use these for UV laser exposed circuit board work, so I have to think acceptable accuracy is there for me burning a goofy little DIY speaker builder logo on my projects

I haven't put my laser into full burning mode yet while I've been learning the software and reverse engineering a working box put up on youtube by a guy named Sebastian Ollari. Gotta contain those fumes and smoke when I actually get around to engraving something! Time will tell if I bought a decent toy or a turd!
          Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
          Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
          The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
          SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

Working...
          X