"Into The Abyss", Tweeters in low places

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xmax View Post
    I am back on the project tomorrow, the lunatic minister at the church next to my shop dumped gasoline all over a playground
    and the property to "kill weeds"!!!!! The fumes were so bad, the misses and I took off to a cabin for a few days...
    If only you hadn't seen him, he'd have lit the match and got his insurance payout!

Seriously though, that's a terrible way to kill weeds.
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by KEtheredge87 View Post

One... That's horrible!
      Two... I totally conjured up an image of this guy throwing gasoline everywhere yelling "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!!! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!!!" for a solid a minute
      If it was that demented, I would have just left the shop and everything in it and started over. I had a strongly worded talk with him before I left
      and said if it happens again the EPA (if there is still such a thing) would be getting involved and it could get costly. I think he realized he
      F'd up because he agreed with me without issue.
      Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

So I have the DA32TX00-8s in a test box with the Satori 9.5" woofers and they sound good actively crossed LR4 at gulp 900hz.
        This is not a realistic XO frequency for high output, but still it kind of astonishing it is possible at all and the top end air is not bad, pretty crazy.
        Last edited by xmax; 07-11-2018, 08:31 PM.
        Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	confusion .png
Views:	2
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	1381866Click image for larger version

Name:	confusion .png
Views:	2
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	1381867 Some Xsim vs measurements of the RST28/SEOS combo with and without cap Click image for larger version  Name:	RST SEOS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	353.6 KB ID:	1381860Click image for larger version  Name:	RST SEOS cap.jpg Views:	2 Size:	350.7 KB ID:	1381861Click image for larger version  Name:	SEOS RST 2.PNG Views:	1 Size:	379.0 KB ID:	1381862 . Thanks to Ketheredge87 for letting me not vaporize his RST's
          and helping with ZMA/FRD generation...

Keith is right, I broke the internet.
          Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Originally posted by xmax View Post
            So I have the DA32TX00-8s in a test box with the Satori 9.5" woofers and they sound good actively crossed LR4 at gulp 900hz.
            This is not a realistic XO frequency for high output, but still it kind of astonishing it is possible at all and the top end air is not bad, pretty crazy.
            A modest guide on the DA32TX00-8 will make 900Hz a piece of cake for high output.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I do not doubt that! I am working on a WG for some SB tweets now. Sorry you did not make it to NAMM Pete!
              Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post

A modest guide on the DA32TX00-8 will make 900Hz a piece of cake for high output.
                hmm so it CD be used as a mid, a la cell C51

Comment

Originally posted by bill poster View Post

hmm so it CD be used as a mid, a la cell C51
                  That might be pushing it.
                  Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Update, I have been listening to the RST28s in the modded SEOS, they sound pretty darn good with just a 6.2uf cap,
                    If someone is looking for a minimal 1st order (electrical) tweeter/hp, it does not get much better. See above curves.

Also with Pete's assistance I am revisiting his 2 way WG/RS/B&C post with a few different tweeters to tryout including
                    the new RST (and the old RS), SB, Wavecor, TX28, TX32 etc. Mated with the Peerless STW-350 in the same box
                    resembling a classic 3 way, that grew up into a monster.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-and-b-c-8bg51
                    Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Specifically this baffle and elliptical guide. 1" deep. Example tweeter responses are below. Green is the RS28A in the elliptical guide. Red is in the round version. Blue is the TBFC/G in the elliptical.

The guide will be opened up slightly to accommodate the larger tweeters.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=1165378.png Views:	2 Size:	29.6 KB ID:	1382353

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=1165105&d=1478503269.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	1382351
                      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Are these Peerless units pure corundum or corundum on metal? I'm a little confused from some of the comments here.

Very attractive tweeters for the $. Peerless is creating some really interesting products these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                          Specifically this baffle and elliptical guide. 1" deep. Example tweeter responses are below. Green is the RS28A in the elliptical guide. Red is in the round version. Blue is the TBFC/G in the elliptical.

The guide will be opened up slightly to accommodate the larger tweeters.

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=1165378.png Views:	2 Size:	29.6 KB ID:	1382353

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=1165105&d=1478503269.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	1382351
                          The opening is now big enough to use the new RST, the 32mm TX and all SB tweeters. (1.73").
                          Guess xmax's age.

Comment

This is a slightly messed up 1" deep Elliptical WG designed by Pete. The opening turned out a little large at 1.8"
                            I will measure these 4 Tweets on this WG this morning and optimize the "final" WG for them to have listening tests.
                            RST 28 soft dome (with grill) Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2310.jpg Views:	1 Size:	431.5 KB ID:	1382683Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2315.jpg Views:	1 Size:	475.0 KB ID:	1382684Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2312.jpg Views:	1 Size:	542.0 KB ID:	1382685Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2314.jpg Views:	1 Size:	724.3 KB ID:	1382686
                            Wavecore 30mm with (WG removed)
                            SB TW29R (faceplate removed)
                            Peerless 32mm TX
                            Guess xmax's age.

Comment

If it's being enlarged when sanding the guide, you might try adding a piece of Formica to the back of the guide before milling. This provides a hard surface to protect the throat opening while sanding. Corian works even better, especially where the guide needs to be relieved to fit the tweeter mounting surface.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/269d08

https://flic.kr/p/26wQJBJ

Comment

Originally posted by TN Allen View Post
                                If it's being enlarged when sanding the guide, you might try adding a piece of Formica to the back of the guide before milling. This provides a hard surface to protect the throat opening while sanding. Corian works even better, especially where the guide needs to be relieved to fit the tweeter mounting surface.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/269d08

https://flic.kr/p/26wQJBJ

That is a excellent idea, or maybe even a metal piece that can be screwed on during the sanding process
                                that could be used over and over, maybe a burnt up tweeter faceplate.
                                Guess xmax's age.

Comment

Working...
                                X