Crossover modification for dual drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossover modification for dual drivers

I would like to build a soundbar based on Paul Carmody's sprite boombox design. For increased output I would like to use two 8-ohm drivers per side. How would the filter he created need to be modified to use two drivers in parallel? I did some google searching and wasn't able to find any answers, I'm completely naive when it comes to crossover design.

Should I just use one separate filter circuit per driver? This would certainly work but seems to add unnecessary cost. I figure someone here would know what to do! Thanks in advance! Here is the filter circuit:

Then you'd have to "un-pad" the tweeter by about 6dB, probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
      Then you'd have to "un-pad" the tweeter by about 6dB, probably.
      There is no tweeter. These are full-range.

Comment

Oops, that's right . . . THEN you'll introduce "comb filtering" (a type of lobing).
        Ordinarily for paralleled woofers (so - a 4ohm load then) you'd halve any resistor or inductor values (and double any caps, if there were any).
        Is this for a center channel, or more like a Bluetooth speaker? Have you heard the Sprites "as-is"?

Comment

Oops, that's right . . . THEN you'll introduce "comb filtering" (a type of lobing).
          Ordinarily for paralleled woofers (so - a 4ohm load then) you'd halve any resistor or inductor values (and double any caps, if there were any).
          Is this for a center channel, or more like a Bluetooth speaker? Have you heard the Sprites "as-is"?
          The comb filtering was something I had considered, if I decide to use dual drivers I would place them as close to each other as possible to try to minimize it.

I haven't not heard the Sprites "as-is" yet. It just seemed like a design that would suit my needs well. This project is something I'd like to build for my in-laws. It would be a soundbar which would be placed on the mantle below their TV. They are currently just using the built-in speakers on their TV and they are horrible even by flat panel TV speaker standards. There isn't much space to work with otherwise I'd probably just adapt some Overnight Sensations into a soundbar design, which still may be an option, I need to take more measurements. Aesthetics are very important to them as well so the less space the soundbar took up, the better. Regardless of what I do there will probably have to be some compromises when it comes to performance, but no matter what I end up doing the improvement over what they are currently using should be pretty significant.

Comment

I'd suggest you make a stock Sprite (w/a dummy center section to spread the drivers as far apart as possible - so the bar's the width of the TV). You can put a Lepai 2020 amp in there. You'd end up w/a L & R ch., (from the TV out - somehow). Right?

You can always get another pair later, but I think they'll find the single drivers more than sufficient. Boxes are pretty cheap to build if you keep them simple.

Comment

I'd suggest you make a stock Sprite (w/a dummy center section to spread the drivers as far apart as possible - so the bar's the width of the TV). You can put a Lepai 2020 amp in there. You'd end up w/a L & R ch., (from the TV out - somehow). Right?

You can always get another pair later, but I think they'll find the single drivers more than sufficient. Boxes are pretty cheap to build if you keep them simple.
              Yeah that might be what I end up doing. I wasn't planning on having a center channel anyway. It was just going to be a two-channel L/R system.

Comment

What about using two 4 ohm versions in series with two drivers spaced really close together and the pairs spread apart? No efficiency gain but an easier load on the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by the-jessman View Post

The comb filtering was something I had considered, if I decide to use dual drivers I would place them as close to each other as possible to try to minimize it.

There isn't much space to work with otherwise I'd probably just adapt some Overnight Sensations into a soundbar design, which still may be an option, I need to take more measurements. Aesthetics are very important to them as well so the less space the soundbar took up, the better.
                  The Heliums (ND91 woofer and ND16FA tweeter) were made into a soundbar with an adjustment to the XO for that cinbfiguration. Here's some links on that project: One and Two.

Comment

Working...
                  X