Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynavox Woofers (6.5") question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dynavox Woofers (6.5") question

    Who has experience with them and which would be recommended ?

    There are 3 versions, a truncated frame, a regular round version and the Honeycomb (yellow) round version.

    Yes I see they all have slightly different specs, but appear to be mostly similar, or fairly close.
    How do these compare to the RS Dayton woofers?

  • #2
    Heard the truncated version this last weekend thanks to Tom - they are very nice sounding midbass drivers. I doubt they give anything up to the RS, plus they use a much better frame design.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

    Comment


    • #3
      Did finally find this:

      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...r-build-thread

      Comment


      • #4
        Used the regular round version in my last build and I thought they sounded fine. Bass output is decent, don’t be afraid of the small xmax, plenty of output.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dynamo View Post
          Used the regular round version in my last build and I thought they sounded fine. Bass output is decent, don’t be afraid of the small xmax, plenty of output.
          Cool! What tweeter did you use with it?

          Any link to your build please.
          I was considering using the XT25TG30 if it can be crossed easily around 2500hz

          Comment


          • #6
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...reezy-monitors

            xt25bg30 in a br-1 cab. Bass is a little boomy at times and doesn’t extend as far as it could, so if not going prefab a little more cabinet volume would be good.

            i didn’t notch the fs on the tweeter and it seems ok with it given the crossover point, however I feel like i can hear it get unhappy once in a while, so ideally if not trying to hit a specific price point I would notch the fs; especially if using a lesser xt25.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dynamo View Post
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...reezy-monitors

              xt25bg30 in a br-1 cab. Bass is a little boomy at times and doesn’t extend as far as it could, so if not going prefab a little more cabinet volume would be good.

              i didn’t notch the fs on the tweeter and it seems ok with it given the crossover point, however I feel like i can hear it get unhappy once in a while, so ideally if not trying to hit a specific price point I would notch the fs; especially if using a lesser xt25.
              looks cool...about what I was looking for maybe. So maybe ideal in a .75 or. 80 CuFt box?

              What frequency were you notching on the woofer? (just saw 1200Hz), I have read this woofer is fairly flat up to about 4 khz.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                Heard the truncated version this last weekend thanks to Tom - they are very nice sounding midbass drivers. I doubt they give anything up to the RS, plus they use a much better frame design.
                I used them with the XT25TG30 - didn't see the Breezy Monitor design until I started working on mine. The specs on the round vs. truncated versions are a little different. The Breezy's use the round version. Mine are in a .7cu ft box, tuned to 43Hz, just like the recommendations. I already had those cabinets from an older design that wasn't quite up to snuff. I used more BSC than the Breezy and the crossover is lower, 2200 vs. 2900Hz. They sure turned out much better than I had expected - best speakers I have in the house at the moment. Bass seems to keep up with the RS180 in the same box - at least from what I remember. I'll have to add it to the Speaker Gallery, but I need to give it a name first!
                Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Good to know the new Dynavox drivers are comparable to the old units. The yellow honeycomb mid-basses look really sharp. But I have some SBA ceramics to work on before getting any further speaker bugs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Be advised that the new ones are overhung, and the old ones were underhung.
                    Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                    *InDIYana event website*

                    Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

                    My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Being over hung isn't a bad thing !

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                        Be advised that the new ones are overhung, and the old ones were underhung.
                        Later,
                        Wolf
                        The LW5004PMR data sheet specifies a 10mm VC in a 6mm gap. The PE description stating that the VC was underhung was in error.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeah mine are crossed a little high for a 6.5 but it is what the drivers were happy with so I opted not to fight them. Bonus of the higher crossover point was getting away with not notching the tweeter fs.

                          i started with more bsc but backed it off some after listening a while as they were a little thick and heavy sounding, at least in my room.

                          The woofer is relatively flat, however once in the br1 baffle I got a bad bump making a knee that was only flat if crossed well under 2k, which that xt25 wasn’t going to love, so I had to notch that bump.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by kevintomb View Post

                            looks cool...about what I was looking for maybe. So maybe ideal in a .75 or. 80 CuFt box?
                            Yeah I would just run it through wbcd and see what size is best. I made the br1 box work because the goal of the project was no box building for under $300/pr. Bigger would be better though. The br1 cab is roughly 0.5 ft3 empty.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by humphreyblowdart View Post

                              The LW5004PMR data sheet specifies a 10mm VC in a 6mm gap. The PE description stating that the VC was underhung was in error.
                              Thank you for that- I stand corrected!
                              So that is not a difference between the new and old units.

                              Later,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                              *InDIYana event website*

                              Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

                              My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X