Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those with CNC routers, which program?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That design also uses Peerless drivers, and provides very pleasant music thanks to Paul K. I tried several cabinet designs before he provided a superior T/L design for the NE225W-04.

I will provide the TP for that baffle if anyone is interested, however, the WG is deep, and the sound probably would not appeal to many listeners.

Comment

Originally posted by TN Allen View Post
      You might look at Fusion 360. It has been available free, and from what I've seen has very good video training support. It offers a remarkable array of well integrated tools. A friend successfully used it with the Haas CNC machine we have in the school shop. He prefered it as he uses a Mac. I use KeyCreator and Key Machinist, and have used these with the Haas, as well as a Precix CNC router.

I don't know if the Shapeoko requires the tool path G-code be posted with a proprietary post processor. The Precix, for example, can be set up to ignore all but the essential lines of code for milling. In other words, I can run the Hass code in the Precix.

Another possibility is Coolterm (?). G-code is typed or pasted into a text editor. It's basic, but worked well, once set up, and is also free.

If you need G-code, I can send you some samples.

The Shapeoko does require a g code and I’d love some
      samples. Is the free fusion360 the trial only? After spending over $2k on this machine my wife wouldn’t be too happy I spent more. I’ll be able to in the future, just not now. Hopefully the cost of software will go down by then, it seems crazy the amount people are asking for these programs!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
        Ive used Vcarve pro ($700 and aspire ($1500). I would love to try fusion360 i had a 1 yesr commercial subscription with my cnc but it lapsed and i never used it. I actually cant even get the free one now which really sucks as im not a commercial business.

did you get limit switches etc?

Just some friendly pointers- never set anything down on the machine you don't want to cut.
        Its important to always reference all home whenever you start the machine, every time you crash it or hit the e-stop. Look into feeds and speed rates for the unit, get a dust collection vacuum setup asap. Make sure your work is clamped down securely and square even a tiny movement will skew your work.

i think the stock stuff is fine for the general speaker stuff. Its literally just circles and squares you dont need to draw a 3d model to cut it out.
        I looked at aspire and nearly died when I saw the cost. I did get limit switches. I have a dust collection setup in the mail as of now. For now I use heavy duty double sided carpet tape to hold down pieces until I can get some threaded inserts into my waste board. It’s done well for the few mdf pieces I’ve done.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyhands View Post
          Artcam. Only $150. There ate also online free cloud ones
          Looks like artcam is no longer available, bummer.

Dan

Comment

https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmposts

Here is a link to Fusion 360 post processors including Mach.

The Shapeoko info indicates it runs on generic G-code, which probably means G-code generated using various post processors are compatible.

I can't speak for others, but perhaps some forum users would send you G-code to try. I can send tool paths I've used for various waveguides and baffles. These would provide an inexpensive way to try tool paths generated in different programs, for example, the linked photo should fit in the Shapeoko:
            ​​​​​​https://flic.kr/p/DZkE6m
            Yeah, I’d love to cut some examples people have worked up. The XXL has a cutting area of 33” x 33”. So it should cut that no problem. If there are towers, I could just overhang as long as the drivers are within 33” of each other.

Do you know if the free fusion 360 is only the trial? I really can’t spend anything on the software right now. I know the software is half the machine, but I knew it would have a free software that is okay and I was lucky I was able to spend this much on the hardware.

Dan

Comment

That design also uses Peerless drivers, and provides very pleasant music thanks to Paul K. I tried several cabinet designs before he provided a superior T/L design for the NE225W-04.

I will provide the TP for that baffle if anyone is interested, however, the WG is deep, and the sound probably would not appeal to many listeners.
              Any info on the T/L for the NE225W-04? I happen to have four of them sitting on a shelf begging to be used. Is that a cnc design?

Dan

Comment

I really think you can get most of what you need done with the stock software and atleast its free. Might not be able to do the 3d stuff. Yeh the software prices for hobby use is a big no go. Are you in school? You can get a sizeable discount on the software rcarpenter recommended (rhino i think).
                My Build Thread's
                Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Yeah, Rhino is under $200 if you are in school.
                  http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

For those looking for info on Fusion360 and how to activate the free license for hobbyist / startup / education users, look at their web page here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-activate-start-up-or-educational-licensing-for-Fusion-360.html?_ga=2.81624599.1812945595.1528981703-657213392.1505246696

As far as I can tell, this free license will continue to be available as long as you still meet their criteria, and they still want to provide it for free!
                    Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                    Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                    The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                    SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax

Comment

Fusion 360 is available for startups and "hobbyist(s)" free, in some cases. You might look for instructions in the student educator application site, scroll down a ways below the student section:

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fu...60/free-trial#

I'd recommend KeyCreator, there is a free 1 year trial for students, however, that probably does not include Key Machinist.

I wonder if there is a way to establish an online library to share G-code files specifically for amature speaker building? Perhaps PE would provide a way to store and access the files. I know there are web resources for .stl files for 3D printing, perhaps there are all ready similar sites for CAD files. This could work for machines that read universal G-code, but might become a little more complex for machines that require a specific post processor. Code generated on educational software might also be a problem.

Comment

I understand those woofers are very low distortion! I will message about the TP, I'm sure a deep WG can sound great with the right transfer function.
                        Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

I use FreeCAD. Runs on Windows, Linux, and MAC. G-Code output has been perfect so far. Open source, no cost. Took me couple days to master it. Few quirks. Everything is built into the software to go from the model to G-Code.

I then use Universal G-Code sender to operate the machine. Also no cost. That software I run on a $1 Rasberry PI zero at the machine.

I wish there were more quality single line fonts available, in general.

Comment

Does anyone use solidworks here? What CAD->gcode conversion method are you guys using? Hoping for the easiest, fuss-free setup possible

Comment

So what was your first cuts on your cnc? I hit a milestone ive had mine a year and just made enough on the side to extend it to a 4x8 from a 4x4. Im excited, its been lots of fun, hard work and a step learning curve.
                              My Build Thread's
                              Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Working...
                              X