Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

ICEpower - Coming Soon!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 1000A is more of a bass amp module, the HF response drops off. the 500's are better for full range. that's just how the A series are.

Comment

Parts Express Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        Okay- some queries...

I see the 1000A is only good up to 3kHz. Why?
        I see it takes a 120VDC PSU from the main module.

The reason I ask, Is I have 2x 2.5kVA Talema toroidal transformers with dual 80VAC secondaries. Rectified, this is +/-110VDC, IIRC. I have the rectifiers and caps to do this, as well as the soft-start modules.

The questions related are:
        - Do the IcePower modules take a dual-rail supply or a single-rail?
        - Is there a full bandwidth 1000W amplifier module coming down the pipeline?
        - Would this conventional supply be capable of running the IcePower module?

Later,
        Wolf
        Wolf, I'll answer in the order you asked:

1. Why? I can only theorize, but if you look, that particular board is designed to plug into the 1000ASP to make a 2 way amplifier design. It's likely the "low" section of the 2 way. It is powered directly by the 1000ASP.

2. As far as I can tell from the datasheet, it appears to be two separate, distinct rails: one is 120VDC, and the other is 12VDC+ and 12VDC-. The diagram on page 10 of the datasheet on the product page shows this. (My schematic reading is sketchy at best). I can find out 100% if you would like, might take me a couple days to get an answer.

3. At this point, not to my knowledge. I will ask at our next product meeting, though.

4. Could it power it? Sure. Will it reach full potential? Not quite. Your supply would be 113VDC once rectified (Secondary voltage times 1.414). Power figures were derived with 120VDC. You'll still be close to full power with that 113V, FWIW.

Hope that helps for the time being.

Scott
        All views and opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of Parts Express.

Void where prohibited. Batteries not included. All sales final.

Comment

I'd like to utilize this stuff I have as it's not cheap, and the ICEpower route would be cheaper/faster than a full class AB for the moment, and I don't want to make a sub amp with them. More or less, I could actually use 2x 1000W amps running single rail style since it's not +/-120VDC and just +120VDC. Being just shy in power would not bother me, but shy in bandwidth does.

If the +/-12VDC is a supply to the 1000, then that would not be an issue with a small and separate supply.

Thanks for the clarity on the rectification, as it's been a few years since I figured that. I had figures of both 1.07 and 1.4 in my skull.

I just want to build a full bandwidth high power amp with the cases and guts that I already have, and this seemed to be a solid direction.

Thanks,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

FYI, the 1000ASP has the same bandwith issue - drops off the high end. Look at the 500A or 500ASP for the full range.

Comment

But then it won't take the PSU parts I already have.- that's my issue.
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
              X