Ice power amps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice power amps

There's a sticky at the top of this list announcing that Ice power amp modules will become available at PE in July. There are a bunch in photos, but no descriptions or pricing yet.

Good news!
    Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

missing a few favorites like the 125ASX and the 250ASX

Comment

Mixed news IMO. Some of these Icepower modules are at least 10yrs old. On the one hand they are probably far more reliable than the direct from China stuff, but on the other hand you've got better newer Icepower amps and now the truly impressive TI TPA3250/1/55/45 series ('made in America' no less for those who value that). Be cool if PE had a partnership with TI instead...

Comment

Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post
          Mixed news IMO. Some of these Icepower modules are at least 10yrs old. On the one hand they are probably far more reliable than the direct from China stuff, but on the other hand you've got better newer Icepower amps and now the truly impressive TI TPA3250/1/55/45 series ('made in America' no less for those who value that). Be cool if PE had a partnership with TI instead...
          Don't think I've ran across the tpa stuff, gotta link?
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Old or not, I was checking out a couple data sheets and they're darn impressive. The cost will be the kicker, particularly for the boards that have the power supply integrated and thus eliminate a whole other component to build or buy.
            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
            Wogg Music

Comment

On the 125asx2 seems like THD spikes rather low @ 8ohms, like 60w on a 125wpc amp, 100w @ 4ohm.......is that a good thing? (handles load better?)

Comment

The 1000AS and 1000ASP are good only for subwoofer duties, as the top end drops off.... and yes, they are much older design. Would have been good to get the newer designs, but only the 50ASX seems to make it... not the higher power ones. So a lot depend on what these are prices at. If they are priced aggressively like how the 250ASP was when it was on clearance then it might be worth it....

Comment

I don't think any of these will compare in sound quality to the Hypex Ncore stuff, which I use in my current designs,
                  but for low frequency duty, cheaper builds and if the cost is comparable and seeing how I could have them the following
                  day, with free or very low shipping cost and no "duties". They could be very cool!
                  Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post

Don't think I've ran across the tpa stuff, gotta link?
                    Below is the direct link to the TPA3255 315W (8ohm) at TI. There's also the 3251 (2-4ohm). They have a coupon code that gets you the amp at 50% off. Get a Meanwell PS and you're all set. Not sure if it's okay with PE to provide the link and code info so that's all I'll say. There is a lengthy thread or two at diyaudio. These have been well vetted the past few years and there are solid China-made versions on ebay as well. But the TI USA price is hard to beat. At .006% THD These amps are much better than the ubiquitous and very good TPA3118/6 and should be short-listed for any diy'er. I can't think of a better price/performance amp at this price.
                    TI’s TPA3255EVM evaluation module (evaluation board) helps move your designs from prototype to production. EVM description and features provided along with supporting documentation and resources.

Comment

Below is the direct link to the TPA3255 315W (8ohm) at TI. There's also the 3251 (2-4ohm).
                      Thank you for the link, I'll have to check it out at diy.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

[QUOTE=Wushuliu;n1379225]

Below is the direct link to the TPA3255 315W (8ohm) at TI. There's also the 3251 (2-4ohm). They have a coupon code that gets you the amp at 50% off.
                        Where do you find this code? Must you be registered for it?

Comment

[QUOTE=skatz;n1379268]

Below is the direct link to the TPA3255 315W (8ohm) at TI. There's also the 3251 (2-4ohm). They have a coupon code that gets you the amp at 50% off.
                          Where do you find this code? Must you be registered for it?
                          The TPA3255 chip uses BTL mode and drives 4 ohms on each of it's two channels. It has an option to parallel the outputs into a single channel (PBTL mode) to drive an impedance as low as 2 ohms.

Comment

Wow those TPA amps look great!
                            Craig

Comment

Below is the direct link to the TPA3255 315W (8ohm) at TI. There's also the 3251 (2-4ohm). They have a coupon code that gets you the amp at 50% off. Get a Meanwell PS and you're all set. Not sure if it's okay with PE to provide the link and code info so that's all I'll say. There is a lengthy thread or two at diyaudio. These have been well vetted the past few years and there are solid China-made versions on ebay as well. But the TI USA price is hard to beat. At .006% THD These amps are much better than the ubiquitous and very good TPA3118/6 and should be short-listed for any diy'er. I can't think of a better price/performance amp at this price.
                              Be aware that the eval board routes input signals directly to the TPA3255. But, the gain of the TPA3255 chip is fixed at 21.5 dB (~12x voltage gain). Thus, the input signal needs to be 4+ V peak to reach the full power output of the board. Some of the boards from China include an op-amp pre-stage I presume kicks a line level signal up to something more usable to elicit full power from the chip.

Comment

Working...
                              X