X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skatz
    started a topic Ice power amps

Ice power amps

There's a sticky at the top of this list announcing that Ice power amp modules will become available at PE in July. There are a bunch in photos, but no descriptions or pricing yet.

• Kornbread
    replied
    Originally posted by JRT View Post
    Anyone with experience and opinions regarding ETAL Anaview AMS class D amplifier modules?
    See link below.

IIRC, those have been out for quite some time. Maybe it was diyaudio that had a thread or two about them.

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by JRT View Post
    Anyone with experience and opinions regarding ETAL Anaview AMS class D amplifier modules?
    See link below.

No, but TI's TPA3255 chip offers similar (if not better) distortion spec.'s.

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied
    See link below.

Our premium and newest line of amplifier modules is based on our patented AMS architecture where nonlinearities are corrected in parallell with the class d stage itself. The technology offers wide 1st order bandwidths and 0.05% THD+N at rated power – and a truly first class listening experience. Each AMS amplifier is loaded with professional grade features such as clip indications per-channel and temperature readouts of the hottest component.

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied
    Sorry, not yet. I also doubt that I will ever push it to its limits, I rarely listen at elevated levels.

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
    Just ordered the TPA3255. That is a good deal.
    I'm looking for a good power supply. How would the buyout work vs the Mean Well?

https://www.parts-express.com/qualte...utput--129-148

https://www.parts-express.com/mean-w...pply--320-3169

I had also considered building a linear power supply but others have reported they are not ideal.
    Have you had time to get this up and running?

Any issues with needing 4+ volts to drive them to full power?

How do they sound?

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied
    The prices aren't low enough to make me want to risk it on a $75/$150 board. I would rather have less output than dirty/possibly unsafe output. I have seen the aftermath of power supplies that have failed and sent over-current down the lines.

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    Don't know of their quality, but there are some lesser priced smps on that bay site.

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied
    Thanks. I'll go for the bigger of the two I linked. Going for the full 48v 12A power supply increases the cost a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
    I'm looking for a good power supply. How would the buyout work vs the Mean Well?

I had also considered building a linear power supply but others have reported they are not ideal.
    It really depends on your application. I'd go with the 48 V Meanwell for 8 ohm speakers, perhaps the buyout for 4 ohms. But if you have monster 4 ohms that can take 300 W, you'll need a 48 V supply @ 12+ amps.

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wushuliu
    replied
    [QUOTE=skatz;n1379268]
    Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post

Below is the direct link to the TPA3255 315W (8ohm) at TI. There's also the 3251 (2-4ohm). They have a coupon code that gets you the amp at 50% off.
    Where do you find this code? Must you be registered for it?
    You can learn more about the promotion here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class...promotion.html

If you want to dive into the technical deets, you can go here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class...gn-etc-51.html

Quote: Originally Posted by Yatsushiro Received an email from TI this morning announcing another half price promotion on a range of EVM boards; TPA325

Leave a comment:

• Wushuliu
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmc View Post
    Class D amps are great choice for a subwoofer or woofer applications... But I would be careful using either of the mentioned amps for full range, midrange, or tweeter duty for HIGH resolution systems. For lower capable systems great for low heat and weight.

As is typical, and most other class D amps I have seen, have quite high harmonic distortion peaks above 2KHz. The TPA3255 had as high as 0.5% is some usage cases around 5KHz. The ice power amps actually do have 6.66KHz distortion listed, and can be seen to be much higher than the 1KHz rating. Typically amps are rated at 1KHz for distortion, and that makes class D amps seem better than they actually are.

The second problem with class D is the passive output filter. You typically get a significant rising response to 20KHz. Peaks of 3-4 dB unless the speaker impedance is just right.
    The TPA are perfect for high resolution systems. That is what they are *made* for. I've listened to plenty of Class D over the years and these are some of the best around aside from the top tier Icepower and Ncore. Not going to defend by proxy when there are countless posts by far, far more knowledgeable people out there about these amps. They are hugely popular and there's a ton of user feedback. To say these should only be used for woofers is strange and flat out wrong.

Leave a comment:

• scottmc
    replied
    Class D amps are great choice for a subwoofer or woofer applications... But I would be careful using either of the mentioned amps for full range, midrange, or tweeter duty for HIGH resolution systems. For lower capable systems great for low heat and weight.

As is typical, and most other class D amps I have seen, have quite high harmonic distortion peaks above 2KHz. The TPA3255 had as high as 0.5% is some usage cases around 5KHz. The ice power amps actually do have 6.66KHz distortion listed, and can be seen to be much higher than the 1KHz rating. Typically amps are rated at 1KHz for distortion, and that makes class D amps seem better than they actually are.

The second problem with class D is the passive output filter. You typically get a significant rising response to 20KHz. Peaks of 3-4 dB unless the speaker impedance is just right.

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post

Below is the direct link to the TPA3255 315W (8ohm) at TI. There's also the 3251 (2-4ohm). They have a coupon code that gets you the amp at 50% off. Get a Meanwell PS and you're all set. Not sure if it's okay with PE to provide the link and code info so that's all I'll say. There is a lengthy thread or two at diyaudio. These have been well vetted the past few years and there are solid China-made versions on ebay as well. But the TI USA price is hard to beat. At .006% THD These amps are much better than the ubiquitous and very good TPA3118/6 and should be short-listed for any diy'er. I can't think of a better price/performance amp at this price.
    Be aware that the eval board routes input signals directly to the TPA3255. But, the gain of the TPA3255 chip is fixed at 21.5 dB (~12x voltage gain). Thus, the input signal needs to be 4+ V peak to reach the full power output of the board. Some of the boards from China include an op-amp pre-stage I presume kicks a line level signal up to something more usable to elicit full power from the chip.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X