Battle of the 10" monster Midbasses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post

Me personally, I see no reason not to so long as everything is implemented correctly or at least to the satisfaction of the builder who in this case is also the audience (me). My personal fav home audio loudspeakers Legacy Audio out of Springfield, Il use a lot of pro-audio drivers in their top speakers, which I have heard when I went to a Legacy Audio showroom. I own a pair of their "bookself's", the Calibres, and they also use a pro-audio 8" midbass. They are what inspired me to brush the dust off the speaker building section of my brain to take on a project worth taking on. Do a google search for "legacy audio Aeris" and "legacy audio valor" so you can see what I mean.
    Now those are some speakers. Are you thinking a clone or what is your build idea? Just curious.
    "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

A clone of sorts, yes. Bigger, louder, and with more bass SPL capability.

Comment

A clone of sorts, yes. Bigger, louder, and with more bass SPL capability.
        I like the way you think!

Of the drivers you have selected, which would model well: tuned at about 80Hz in a ported enclosure? I'm not having any luck with them, but maybe I am using them for the wrong application. I am trying to cross them at about 90Hz with my 18" sub-woofers. The 10s would have dedicated mid range drivers and a high frequency compression driver. Crossover points for those are unknown until I have the cabinet built and can do the sweeps with my microphone to find my off axis response like Bill has explained to do.
        "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post

I like the way you think!

Of the drivers you have selected, which would model well: tuned at about 80Hz in a ported enclosure? I'm not having any luck with them, but maybe I am using them for the wrong application. I am trying to cross them at about 90Hz with my 18" sub-woofers. The 10s would have dedicated mid range drivers and a high frequency compression driver. Crossover points for those are unknown until I have the cabinet built and can do the sweeps with my microphone to find my off axis response like Bill has explained to do.
          They're not necessarily the wrong application, you just have to accept an EBS alignment for them if you want them to go into the 80Hz F3 range. Forget about the transfer function magnitude. Model them with 2.83V/1W signal so you can see "exactly" where the SPL would be (not including baffle step compensation, and as a small signal model of course). That's what I would do. I'm aiming for a higher xover point. generally speaking.

Comment

They're not necessarily the wrong application, you just have to accept an EBS alignment for them if you want them to go into the 80Hz F3 range. Forget about the transfer function magnitude. Model them with 2.83V/1W signal so you can see "exactly" where the SPL would be (not including baffle step compensation, and as a small signal model of course). That's what I would do. I'm aiming for a higher xover point. generally speaking.
            Alright I suppose I could cross the subs a little higher than I normally like to, but take a look at what I have done on the 10FH530. It looks pretty good to me. What are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post

Alright I suppose I could cross the subs a little higher than I normally like to, but take a look at what I have done on the 10FH530. It looks pretty good to me. What are your thoughts?
              I doubt you will be running a flat alignment all-together. Flat frequency response sounds anemic and life-less on the low-end, at least to me it does. Just raising the bass level altogether will bring up the frequencies on the high slope side of the subwoofer pass band. Depending on how much you may boost it, you will eventually overlap too much, because it has a slope, it doesn't have a brick-wall stop. That alignment doesn't look bad, nor good, simply because you're not seeing how the bass from the subwoofers will factor in. The HPF will play a large factor as well as the final bass level with respect to the midbass it is crossing-over into. So the main question I'm getting at is: exactly how "hot" or "cold" will you be running the bass level of the subwoofers that will mate with the midbasses (in terms of dB)?

Comment

Working...
              X