seperate passive subwoofer crossover frequency recomendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seperate passive subwoofer crossover frequency recomendations

seperate passive subwoofer crossover frequency recomendations . am now building a subwoofer passive and keep thinking i need to cross at 90hz so i do not hear any voice from the sub, is this wrong, my satellites can be crossed at any point from 80hz to 150hz. is there a range where it is best ?

My $0.02. Good inductors are going to be very large and expensive for a passive crossover at 90Hz.
    Francis

Comment

crap, worded it wrong, that is why noone is responding..ha ha...just need to know at what frequency most people have their subs set to take over , am thinking 90hz but their is no crossover it is in the amps dsp, just will need to set it is all.... sorry people it was fathers day when i wrote this might of had one drink over the line

Comment

I cross my woofers at 150Hz with LR4 slopes, but they sit directly under the rest of the speaker. If you plan to physically separate the sub(s) from the satellites, 90Hz would be more like it. People commonly use as high as 120Hz, but I wonder if you can start to hear the physical separation crossed that high.
        Francis

Comment

The ear has less ability to localize as frequency decreases, so lower is better, particularly if spatial separation is involved. As mentioned, passive gets more expensive as frequency decreases.
          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Thanks, i seem to recall many car audio subs crossed at 150hz even up to 200hz, but most of what i read for home and even pro use get set to around 80hz to 120 as you stated. just trying to get a feel for where most people are setting them for home use, including for home theater. I am not into home theater but think most serious home theater people use subs in their systems.

Steve -

Comment

their is no crossover ..... it is in the amps dsp, just will need to set it is all.... sorry for any confusion but just building a passive sub not active and wanted to know what the typical "range" that people like to set their subs at.

Comment

Originally posted by sdep777 View Post
                Thanks, i seem to recall many car audio subs crossed at 150hz even up to 200hz, but most of what i read for home and even pro use get set to around 80hz to 120 as you stated. just trying to get a feel for where most people are setting them for home use, including for home theater. I am not into home theater but think most serious home theater people use subs in their systems.

Steve -
                Even for just music, unloading the deep bass to subs will often get better sound from small satellite speakers.
                Francis

Comment

Originally posted by sdep777 View Post
                  Thanks, i seem to recall many car audio subs crossed at 150hz even up to 200hz, but most of what i read for home and even pro use get set to around 80hz to 120 as you stated. just trying to get a feel for where most people are setting them for home use,...
                  Again a key factor is spacing* from the other speakers; for example my subs are separate from my mains by a distance such that I had to compensate for that distance. The same applies in a pro sound setting in which the subs are separated from the mains ( as opposed to stacked above ) .
                  * that spacing can be equal to a half wavelength of a bass frequency, thus uneven acoustic summation.
                  "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                  “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                  "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

80 hz.

Comment

Working...
                    X