Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker driver measurements: 5-8" Woofers

Hi all,

Much in the same way as my existing 2-4" midrange/fullrange driver testing, I've decided to publish measurements of larger woofers I have on hand too.

The format is the same as previous testing of smaller drivers with the addition of a new test method to evaluate bass distortion.

To start us off we have a group of four 6.5/7" woofers. I'll hold off writing my interpretations of the measurements until I have a few more measured and a better idea of the baseline performance.

You can view the measurements and commentary here:
    Timothy Feleppa's Pages

Any feedback is always appreciated. Cheers!
    -Tim

So great!
    Thanks for all you do

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Those Dai-Ichi woofers seem to measure pretty well in a simple THD test. Given the "'Straya tax," there's no doubt some Aussies pleased to hear there's an economical option.

Comment

Yep, impressively low high order HD for a cheaper woofer. Will need some clever crossover work to flatten out the cone resonance at ~1.3kHz though.

Comment

I've finished testing nine 6.5"/7" woofers and have added commentary and ratings for them.

Drivers tested:
          ScanSpeak 18W/8545K00
          Usher 8945A
          SEAS CA18RNX (H1215-08)
          Vifa NE180W-08
          Dali Ikon 6 MK1
          Fountek FW168
          Dai-ichi W6S-52
          MCM 55-5665
          Response CW2194

I've added an Le(x) test which gives some insight into intermodulation distortion, especially important for woofers which are used for both bass and treble, such as in a conventional 2-way with a dome tweeter.

It seems we have a large group of drivers over a wide price range which do some things well and other things not so well, but I'd say there are no particularly poor performers overall.
          We also have a few very high performing woofers that are a significant step up from the rest.

Link to results

Comment

Thank you for your effort and sharing the results with us!

Comment

Working...
            X