Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Speaker driver measurements: 5-8" Woofers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker driver measurements: 5-8" Woofers

Hi all,

Much in the same way as my existing 2-4" midrange/fullrange driver testing, I've decided to publish measurements of larger woofers I have on hand too.

The format is the same as previous testing of smaller drivers with the addition of a new test method to evaluate bass distortion.

To start us off we have a group of four 6.5/7" woofers. I'll hold off writing my interpretations of the measurements until I have a few more measured and a better idea of the baseline performance.

You can view the measurements and commentary here:
    Timothy Feleppa's Pages

Any feedback is always appreciated. Cheers!
    -Tim

So great!
    Thanks for all you do

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Those Dai-Ichi woofers seem to measure pretty well in a simple THD test. Given the "'Straya tax," there's no doubt some Aussies pleased to hear there's an economical option.

Comment

Yep, impressively low high order HD for a cheaper woofer. Will need some clever crossover work to flatten out the cone resonance at ~1.3kHz though.

Comment

I've finished testing nine 6.5"/7" woofers and have added commentary and ratings for them.

Drivers tested:
          ScanSpeak 18W/8545K00
          Usher 8945A
          SEAS CA18RNX (H1215-08)
          Vifa NE180W-08
          Dali Ikon 6 MK1
          Fountek FW168
          Dai-ichi W6S-52
          MCM 55-5665
          Response CW2194

I've added an Le(x) test which gives some insight into intermodulation distortion, especially important for woofers which are used for both bass and treble, such as in a conventional 2-way with a dome tweeter.

It seems we have a large group of drivers over a wide price range which do some things well and other things not so well, but I'd say there are no particularly poor performers overall.
          We also have a few very high performing woofers that are a significant step up from the rest.

Link to results

Comment

Thank you for your effort and sharing the results with us!

Comment

Working...
            X