Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your most budget build that sounded good to you.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The following:

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...river--299-125

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...eter--264-1018

In these cabinets:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/xe7PsC

Comment

What the latest on the TC9 Nola build? I remember it from a year or 2 ago.

Comment

While not exactly 'budget' (would probably be about US$150 all up), I built a nice two way based on a design kindly made available by Giralfino of DIY audio with cabinet and crossover help from PETT members, including Bolland.

It used a small-ish vented cabinet, the Peerless 830656 and VIFA BC25TG with a three element crossover on the tweeter and a two element crossover on the mid, sounds very nice indeed for the price.

Geoff

Comment

TN Allen, I build a speaker with those buyout drivers in 4.5 liter or so buyout Miller & Kreisel cabinets using a Vifa D26NC55 tweeter. They are 8 ohm version of these. https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ofer--264-1658. Drop off pretty hard at 1500 hz or so, so need a low crossover. Would be interested to see your crossover.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
            While not exactly 'budget' (would probably be about US$150 all up), I built a nice two way based on a design kindly made available by Giralfino of DIY audio with cabinet and crossover help from PETT members, including Bolland.

It used a small-ish vented cabinet, the Peerless 830656 and VIFA BC25TG with a three element crossover on the tweeter and a two element crossover on the mid, sounds very nice indeed for the price.

Geoff
            My best budget build is very similar, just a different tweeter. Designed when the 830656 was the Iron Driver a few years back. I couldn't afford to go the NY meeting, but thought it would be a good design exercise. They are my monitor speakers at work for my video editing system. They are ugly - but that way no one will steal them!
            Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
              What the latest on the TC9 Nola build? I remember it from a year or 2 ago.
              That would be my nomination

Comment

That reminds me, a buyout Peerless woofer, Vifa Tweeter and the M&K cabs for a Charlie Laub project. Jeff Bagby did the crossover. I made several pairs of these , gave two away, still have two (pairs). They cost about $100/pr and sounded really nice.

Comment

I'll need to check the cabinet volume, it's been 2-3 years since I built these, they are under 1 cubic foot though. The crossover was a 12 uF capacitor, as I recall. Given they are small drivers, and small cabinets, they do well, which is not to say they are as good as other designs I've done, only that they were "budget builds" that "sound(ed) good" to me. I built 3 sets, 2 are used by daughters with Lepai amps and iPhones. They inexpensively meet their musical needs. I suspect the WGs contribute something to their success.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                    That reminds me, a buyout Peerless woofer, Vifa Tweeter and the M&K cabs for a Charlie Laub project. Jeff Bagby did the crossover. I made several pairs of these , gave two away, still have two (pairs). They cost about $100/pr and sounded really nice.
                    I'll second these. Still in my top 5 for Jeff's designs, and very much worth tracking down.

Of my own work - The Nexus (the MTM towers which received a proper peer review at the SoDak get together) https://diy.midwestaudioclub.com/dis...-towers#latest
                    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.

We are passionate about great sound at whatever level we can afford, so don't let the audio atheists reduce the experience to a set of numbers and squiggly lines. - jbruner

Comment

This could get the top honor for me as I've been playing (fine tuning) lately....
                      Tang Band 704D (14 liter) + Vifa BC25SC06: Crossed at 4k, first order 1.56 mh > Midwoofer; 6.8uf to 15 ohm to tweeter with parallel 0.11mh via 7 ohms.

W5-704D ~($20 back then ca. 2011) and Vifa tweet ~$12 + 5 component only network

Comment

I really like the latest little 2-way consisting of the RS100-4 aluminum cone and a tiny little Wavecor tweeter TW013WA01. Stupid clean sound for near field listening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nice-pair.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1380055
                        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Pete, is that 1/2" mdf? Is Erich planning to sell them? With a flat pack?

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                            Pete, is that 1/2" mdf? Is Erich planning to sell them? With a flat pack?
                            Yes to all three questions. Not sure exactly when he’ll have them listed though
                            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
                                I really like the latest little 2-way consisting of the RS100-4 aluminum cone and a tiny little Wavecor tweeter TW013WA01. Stupid clean sound for near field listening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nice-pair.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1380055
                                Pete..can you give me more information about this speaker build ?

I have a pair of RS100-4 that I am looking for a home for.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X