Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Understanding Sub-woofer SPL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post
    i've not heard any of B&Cs 18's , but this is Jbrunner's B&C 21 in 13^3ft . it was amazing !

Click image for larger version

Name:	joshs21_zps5o63fsnh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1380351
    That looks outstanding. What is it tuned to? Does it sound good? I like the design!
    "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O View Post
      You're comparing a top shelf driver to a mid level driver so they're not really in the same ballpark, even a Definimax doesn't compare to the B&C when it's being pushed. Have you modeled the 18TBX100? I'm also seeing 5.5 cu/ft per driver as the optimum for power handling.
      Paul -- That's precisely why I am asking the question. I know nothing about B&C and wasn't sure if their price point was due to being imported from Italy rather than being produced in the US such as Eminence. I am going to model that driver per your recommendation. Thank you for the advice!
      "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post

What is this supposed to mean?
        Wayne’s World

Party on Garth
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

What is this supposed to mean?
          Wayne's World - a comedy sketch on Saturday Night Live with Dana Carvey (as Wayne) and Mike Myers (as Garth)
          The proper response is "rock on Garth!"

It means, have fun, enjoy yourself.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

That looks outstanding. What is it tuned to? Does it sound good? I like the design!

IIRC it was a couple years ago . it was tuned low 20's and could handle 3600w before X-max became an issue . the sound was clean and amazing . not a cheap though .... https://www.parts-express.com/bc-21s...4-ohm--294-689
            Paper Towers
            RS180P/28F surrounds
            Boombox

Comment

So I contacted a B&C rep and they told me that the reason a 21" speaker doesn't have anymore output than an 18" is due to the additional mass of the cone being moved. If this is the case then why would anyone purchase a 21" over an 18"? I have been so intrigued with the 21" speaker because of the Tim Allen tool time mentality of bigger is better, but after modeling them, they look terrible. I can post some pictures if anyone is interested, but so far this B&C 18TBW100 is kicking more butt than anything else I can model. If someone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it. Cheers!

Comment

why would anyone purchase a 21" over an 18"? !
                Because bigger and more expensive is always better, and in the words of a high end cable executive, 'As long as people are stupid enough to buy what we're selling we'll keep selling it'.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                  Because bigger and more expensive is always better, and in the words of a high end cable executive, 'As long as people are stupid enough to buy what we're selling we'll keep selling it'.
                  I tried to send you a PM, but it wouldn't allow me to. I have some questions regarding a set of Tuba plans I purchased from you.

Comment

I tried to send you a PM, but it wouldn't allow me to. I have some questions regarding a set of Tuba plans I purchased from you.
                    Post them on my forum. Thanks.
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post

Post them on my forum. Thanks.
                      Done. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X