Kairos newbie woodworking questions, also get well jeff bagby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kairos newbie woodworking questions, also get well jeff bagby

Hello, I have the Kairos kit from meniscus with assembled crossovers.. my friend will help and is a hobby woodworker with a table saw and router and I'll be getting him the jasper circle jig.
    I've read through the faq and speaker building bible thread but still have a few questions.
    The kit documents say to use 3/4" mdf for the cabinet, 1" mdf for the baffle and 1/2" birch plywood for the braces.. my local hardware stores only carry up to 3/4" thick mdf.. would it degrade the sound a lot if I made the baffle from 3/4" mdf too? It would save me some money if I just used one material.. is using all 3/4" mdf or birch plywood for baffle, enclosure, braces a good idea?
    I'm going to use the kairos close to the wall so was planning on building them sealed with no vent. The kit only comes with dacron to line the walls.. should I also use polyfill because I'm building the speakers sealed? Or change the dimensions of the box?
    Final question, when gluing the box should I leave off one panel to make it easy to put the stuffing, crossovers etc inside, or will the midwoofer hole in the baffle be big enough to reach through and do that work? I was thinking maybe I'd leave off one of the sides or the baffle and glue all the other panels together in one step first.
    extra question, is double sided tape good enough to mount the crossovers in the box? or should I use some spray adhesive or hot glue?
    thanks for any advice you guys can give me, I'm new to woodworking. also I'm in hawaii

You CAN use 3/4" stuff for everything, BUT you might have to adjust some panel sizes to compensate. The most important thng is to end up with the proper interior volume. I'd highly recommend going vented (the box vol. is sized for vented). W/out a pic of the Kairos in front of me, you SHOULD be able to run the vent out the front (or out the top - which I've done, OR - make a "slot" port out the front.).

Don't know what the braces look like, but 3/4" (or 1" dia.) hardwood dowels work great (pine's OK, in a pinch). IF you can fit the assembled XO through the woofer opening, glue up 5 sides of the box, then arrange the XO so you'll be able to (put at least ONE) screw it down, pref. to the box bottom. Line the walls (install the XO if you want) and glue the other panel on. If the screw is < 1" from a coil, brass would be a non-magnetic option.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Chris, I'll be sure to document my build as I go.. I think I might just get a 4x8 foot sheet of 3/4" mdf and then a 2x4 foot thing of birch plywood for the braces.. the braces are pretty advanced.. a vertical window brace and two uh.. U shaped type braces halfway up the front and back. the baffle will just have to be 3/4" instead of 1".. I think I'll put the vent on the baffle on the bottom like you suggest

Comment

Uncola, you said your hardware store only carries "up to" 3/4 MDF. I think most people make 1" MDF by gluing 3/4" and 1/4" MDF or two sheets of 1/2" MDF. (Anyone feel free to chime in if that assumption is incorrect.)

Comment

Someday you might have a different space for your Kairos and wish you had gone vented. You can build vented and plug the vent with audiophile grade socks. The woofer hole is big enough to allow access for adjusting the fill.

Also, if you buy a sheet of 1/2" mdf you could probably double it up for the baffles and use it for the bracing. And forget the Birch.

And, with the tilted baffle, will the vent tube run into the bottom of the cab if you put it on the bottom of the front? You don't need six feet of room behind a rear vented speaker.

Comment

darn I didn't think of that.. yes the titled front baffle might be a problem because it will angle the port towards the bottom panel.. well as far as using the kairos in other rooms away from the wall.. I'd probably use a sub or the kairos bass module at that point. the port tube that comes with the meniscus kit is cardboard, I don't like it :/ so you recommend I forget about plywood and just stick to mdf for everything? the thing about gluing two sheets together for the baffle.. that will double my construction time and I didn't want t impose on my friend helping me for more than a day...
            edit: the kairos are supposed to be designed to run both vented and sealed.. maybe I should email meniscus to see if it's supposed to be smaller if sealed

Comment

That is just a money saving idea. If I were building these speakers, I would build them as drawn. I honestly don't think doubling the baffle will really double your build time. These cabs will take some time with all the bracing and angled baffle. Using fast setting epoxy for the double baffle really won't take too long. If you've never built speaker cabs before, you will find out all the fiddly little details will just soak up the hours. You mention "a day". I'm sure you'll be able to get them cut out in a day, but assembled? Good luck.

Oh, if you have access to stair treads, they are 1 1/8" thick, available in MDF, particle board and solid wood. I just used one for a sub You can get about 10 3/4" wide material after you cut off the roundover.

Comment

Just buy 3/4 inch MDF and glue two pieces for the front baffle. Extra wide but that is OK. Or, as suggested above, just glue two 1/2 inch or some combo of 1". A strong baffle is a good thing. Build with a vent. You can always stuff the vent with foam, a sock, a potato, etc. if you want a closed box sound. (spud reference was for humor only). Buy your woodworker bud some beer, he is doing you a big favor.

Comment

How's it going? I built the Kairos this past winter , some notes

I matched the dimensions, but building a 100% by-the-plans cabinet was beyond my skills and patience, so i took some liberties. Obviously without a direct A-B comparison I can't say if this actually degraded the sound in any way. But I've obsessed over a number of builds over the years and don't suspect there are any significant problems.

For the baffles I chose 3/4" solid oak ( for appearances ) and added some bracing to help compensate for the <1" thickness (baffle screws into horizontal braces running between W-T , and below the woofer)

My braces are mdf and are not dado-ed into interior walls.

I built without the port since I knew there would be subs. I may add at a later date just to compare (they can always be stuffed or covered).
                  If theres any shortcoming to these speakers, its that they may not like it if there's crazy LOUD deep bass. There's one particular Radiohead track that makes them try to jump out of the cabinet. ( but that's a heavily processed / intentionally over the top distorted track to begin with)...
                  Don't know if the vent would aggravate that (?).

I also used some foam lining I happened to have, in addition to the supplied stuffin, so I may try pulling that ...

I made the back panel removable, to accommodate future tweaking which I haven't really felt an urge to do. ( a testament to how good these sound!)

I built the XOs myself, separate boards for hi/lo so as to get more distance and proper orientation between the inductors. they are screwed to the cabinet ( again just in case I ever started to feel tweak happy, which I haven't).

Good luck ! I'm interested to hear your results..
                  Jeff
                  BEER: Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I've measured many things I cannot hear; and heard things I cannot measure...

Comment

Originally posted by jeff_free69 View Post
                    How's it going? I built the Kairos this past winter , some notes

I matched the dimensions, but building a 100% by-the-plans cabinet was beyond my skills and patience, so i took some liberties. Obviously without a direct A-B comparison I can't say if this actually degraded the sound in any way. But I've obsessed over a number of builds over the years and don't suspect there are any significant problems.

For the baffles I chose 3/4" solid oak ( for appearances ) and added some bracing to help compensate for the <1" thickness (baffle screws into horizontal braces running between W-T , and below the woofer)

My braces are mdf and are not dado-ed into interior walls.

I built without the port since I knew there would be subs. I may add at a later date just to compare (they can always be stuffed or covered).
                    If theres any shortcoming to these speakers, its that they may not like it if there's crazy LOUD deep bass. There's one particular Radiohead track that makes them try to jump out of the cabinet. ( but that's a heavily processed / intentionally over the top distorted track to begin with)...
                    Don't know if the vent would aggravate that (?).

I also used some foam lining I happened to have, in addition to the supplied stuffin, so I may try pulling that ...

I made the back panel removable, to accommodate future tweaking which I haven't really felt an urge to do. ( a testament to how good these sound!)

I built the XOs myself, separate boards for hi/lo so as to get more distance and proper orientation between the inductors. they are screwed to the cabinet ( again just in case I ever started to feel tweak happy, which I haven't).

Good luck ! I'm interested to hear your results..
                    Jeff
                    If you have a receiver / AVR with a "small" speaker setting, that may kick in a high pass filter to block heavy bass from the Kairos ...

Comment

I have a flat pack all cut if you would like that....

i also have some 1”mdf, just pay shipping...
                      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Hah thanks but I haven’t given up on my friend yet.. he was too busy this week but maybe next week he can help me

Comment

I have 1”mdf and just looked, also 1/2” birch....
                          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Working...
                          X