Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titan Buyout Build

Hi,
    I'm somewhat new to speaker building and especially design. I ordered a pair of the Titan 10" buyout woofers for $10 because I figured at that price why the hell not. Now, I've done sealed enclosures and vented enclosures, and I'd kind of like to try something different if it works for these woofers. The real catch about these is that I'm planning on pairing them with a pair of smallish (12"x14") XPS DML panels to fill in the bottom from about ~120 Hz down (I want to keep as much of the vocal range as possible away from these). That being the case, I want the bass produced to be as clean as possible. I'm not worried about extension, as the 45 Hz Fs should be more than enough, and I have a sub to fill in below that. What I'm looking for is suggestions on enclosure types that will give me the best transient response and efficiency. Overexcursion shouldn't be an issue, as the full range driver it will be paired with is only 20W RMS.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

For reference for anyone who hasn't seen them yet, a link to the product page for the woofer. A word of advice, the different listings for the different colors have different t/s parameters listed, even though they're all the same values.
    https://www.parts-express.com/titan-...-ohm--299-1020

Given the high Qts, a sealed enclosure is the only one that makes sense. For the price, I would consider isobaric which will halve the enclosure size.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Maybe good for an aperiodic design?
      Francis

Comment

I looked into aperiodic, and based on my cursory research the Qts on this woofer is too high (1.06) to work in that configuration. As for isobaric, how does that affect efficiency? Like I said, I only expect around 20 WPC to be available to the woofers to prevent overpowering the exciters, and they're a lot more efficient than a single one of these Titans. How do high Qts woofers do in something like a TQWT enclosure?

Comment

H frame open baffle maybe.
          Craig

Comment

I did some exploratory modeling for this Titan woofer in a TL using the published specs via your link and, as I expected, it does not have any performance improvement over a sealed box, actually performing a bit worse all things considered. I've found that drivers with a Qts in the 0.35 to 0.5 range almost always work well to very well in a TL.
            Paul

Originally posted by outfoxhyperion View Post
            I looked into aperiodic, and based on my cursory research the Qts on this woofer is too high (1.06) to work in that configuration. As for isobaric, how does that affect efficiency? Like I said, I only expect around 20 WPC to be available to the woofers to prevent overpowering the exciters, and they're a lot more efficient than a single one of these Titans. How do high Qts woofers do in something like a TQWT enclosure?

Comment

I'd try an open baffle for sure. Open baffle bass can be so clean and tight sounding. Maybe start with a 15x24" panel and add wings or side supports if you need more bass. A sheet or two of cardboard with a hole near the bottom would give you a rough idea of the sound. The H-Frame is a good idea too.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                H frame open baffle maybe.
                IIRC, a senior member did an open baffle with two similar, low cost drivers. They might have went to a "DIY meet". But I can't recall which member or a good search term.

Comment

This?

Titan OB | Parts Express Project Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                    Aah, bows and accolades. Can you recommend any memory exercises for the old and infirm?

Comment

I remember that one because it was so, well, ugly. Check out John hollander's design team builds, he really did some nice work.

Comment

I remember seeing those and wanting to try an OB build. My concern is that every OB bass bin I've seen to date uses a 15" or at the very least a 12" woofer. Will 10" woofers move enough air to get any kind of extension? Of course, I need to go pick them up from my local UPS store, so I'll be able to try them with a cardboard baffle after work, but more as a point of curiosity. Has anyone done an OB build with 10" woofers or personally listened to some?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                          I did some exploratory modeling for this Titan woofer in a TL using the published specs via your link and, as I expected, it does not have any performance improvement over a sealed box, actually performing a bit worse all things considered. I've found that drivers with a Qts in the 0.35 to 0.5 range almost always work well to very well in a TL.
                          Paul

Thanks, Paul. I looked at some online calculators for this in t-line and other sealed quarter wave enclosures and it didn't seem to perform very well. The biggest reason I was considering it is limited footprint available. I would like to have these with a finished footprint of less than 24x24, as my living room is rather small and that seemed like a good way to achieve that.

Comment

When I got home with these I made a baffle with what I had lying around, which happened to be leftover XPS foam from the prototype DML panels I've been messing around with, and it went surprisingly well. No inductors on hand, so I just ran full range through it, but even so it did pretty well. Nice clean bass up to about 250 Hz before it starts to struggle, which is exactly what I was hoping for. Surprisingly, it reached into the mid-30s without sounding strained. Didn't hear any chuffing until down around 28 Hz. Transients seemed pretty good just from cursory listening, but time will have to really be the one to tell in the long term. I should have some time in the shop this weekend, so I'll try putting together a quick H-frame and see how that goes. I imagine the response will be even better in the bottom octave. I may end up ordering another pair and building something very similar to the Hestia H-Bombs. Any thoughts on direction from there?

Comment

http://projectgallery.parts-express....he-hurricanes/ Something similar should be workable with the titan drivers

Comment

Working...
                              X