No announcement yet.

Your all time favorite commercially made loudspeakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polymer Audio Research. Damped Steel Alloy cabinets! They sounded ultra clean.

As far as looks, I've always like the Lansche aesthetics.

I really liked the Vapor Derecho. It sounded great.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      Polymer Audio Research. Damped Steel Alloy cabinets! They sounded ultra clean.

As far as looks, I've always like the Lansche aesthetics.

I really liked the Vapor Derecho. It sounded great.

Later,
      Wolf
      The Derecho is my favorite of all the stuff we made, aesthetically speaking.

http://www.vaporsound.com/wp-content...o/Derecho1.jpg
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Allison Ones. And some Ohm Walshes.( Sorry B&O, the Pentas are the coolest looking, but I don't think I've ever had the right room for them.)

But fourty years ago I heard some Wilson 'gasbag' speakers play a live recording I had helped with.
        Really good, and only five figures!

Comment

Dahlquist DQ-20.

Comment

Originally posted by ligs View Post
            Celestion SL6 and Spandor SP1.
            I also found Infinity R152(and 162) sounded very much like those British speakers.
            I have a pair of SP1s I picked up for a song at a consignment store years ago. But I haven't listened to them in quite a while, so I'll have to revisit them soon.
            I have always been fond of my Snell E type IV's. Not the most exciting speakers, but they do very little wrong.
            Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
              Showing my age, but along that planar line, Apogee Acoustics. Yet to hear another speaker that rivals it's immediacy, delicacy, reproduction of voice, and ability to completely disappear in the music.
              Another vote for Apogees, specifically the Scintillas (the only one I ever heard). My ears were better then, which helps. I've always daydreamed about DIY'ing a pair, but finding and etching the proper membrane for bass panels remains elusive.
              Copy of Lou C's speaker pages: http://www.rob-elder.com/LouC/speakers.html

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post

The Derecho is my favorite of all the stuff we made, aesthetically speaking.

http://www.vaporsound.com/wp-content...o/Derecho1.jpg
                Well I know what tweeter is used but what are the mid and woofs, the woofs look like the Marksmen woofer maybe bigger?

Comment

The mid is the Dayton PM180, slit by jbruner in later editions.
                  I believe the woofers are B&C units.
                  Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

whats the point of this thread as most hear and in the DIY comunity will say they can design better and that the HIGH end manufactures are trying to fool you with inferior products !

Comment

Originally posted by cap View Post
                      whats the point of this thread as most hear and in the DIY comunity will say they can design better and that the HIGH end manufactures are trying to fool you with inferior products !
                      The point of this thread is accurately described in the OP. I for one am confident that I can't design or build an equal to my Acoustat 3s. I am equally confident that I can design and build a speaker for $500 that you couldn't buy for $1500 or $2000. On the other end of the scale, it's hard to build a competent pair of speakers including cabinets for $75 that will compete with mass marketed speakers using chinese made CNC cabinets.

Comment

There are some very underwhelming expensive speakers, but there are some good ones too. Those polymer acoustics speakers, for example - very impressive, and far beyond my capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                          The mid is the Dayton PM180, slit by jbruner in later editions.
                          I believe the woofers are B&C units.
                          Later,
                          Wolf
                          B&C 8FG51 x 2, PM180 and RAAL 70-20XR. Future versions will probably use the C-Quenze 8" and the C-Quenze custom 7" mid we use in the Joule.
                          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DDA2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1380753 Just went to Vapor Audio for the first time, never heard of them...these speakers are drop dead gorgeous..wow

Comment

Pete , then it would probably no longer be called a hamburger that cost $10 , it would probably be called a steak and it would cost $30 ! it would be an awesome steak for sure !
                              donc

Comment

The number of people just pointing at Pete Schumacher in this thread says a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X