Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Your all time favorite commercially made loudspeakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djg View Post
    All I can say is the main button on my Samsung tablet has crapped out after about a year.
    The result of accountants and marketing people running a company. Planned obsolescence through the use of parts that are cheap and don't wear well.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

All I can say is the main button on my Samsung tablet has crapped out after about a year.
      On the flip side, I've used thousands of their surface mount capacitors without any trouble. I'm sure these are separate business units we're talking about, with very different standards. TAD and Pioneer is a good example.
      Francis

Comment

I never could understand why they replaced the typical Android soft home button with a mechanical button that is prone to wear!?!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_74198.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1381093
          Technology in the service of art, for the life of the music.

Comment

Welp.... he went there. I was thinking it but I wasn’t going to say it.

Comment

DuKane Ionovac DUK-30 from 1961. Plasma tweeter, hardwood ducted port 12 inch corner tower with dual 3 inch midrange drivers. Ungodly sound, Very efficient, could be driven to full output with a 15 watt per channel amplifier. They just don't make 'em like they used to...

Comment

Still want to hear a plasma tweeter. Read they emitted a lot of ozone? that was terrible on home decor.
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
                  Still want to hear a plasma tweeter. Read they emitted a lot of ozone? that was terrible on home decor.
                  You could barely smell a tiny amount of ozone, definitely nothing to worry about. Main problem was cleaning and maintenance. They tended to attract dust and had to be cleaned to get the arc to start. Since parts were generally unavailable I eventually modified the tungsten electrodes with some heavy platinum wire to refurb. Sound was extremely free of coloration. These also had good bass extension due to the cabinet design, down in the 30 Hz range. Adequate for music without a sub. Very heavy, well braced hardwood cabinets.

Comment

Originally posted by jwadams84 View Post

... eventually modified the tungsten electrodes with some heavy platinum wire to refurb ...
                    There are several different sizes and types of tungsten rods used in the gun tig welding. Might something like that be a direct replacement?

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

• Originally posted by Kornbread View Post

There are several different sizes and types of tungsten rods used in the gun tig welding. Might something like that be a direct replacement?
                      What a great idea! Pure tungsten, lanthanated, with cerium, lots of flavors available for inverter style tig welding.

Comment

• I've always liked the Rockport Technologies speakers. They are stunning. Also, most of the Sonus Faber speakers appeal to me aesthetically, but I've haven't listened to any of them. Next on my list is a speaker that influenced me to build a micro version... the Avalon Eidolon. Classy looking. Clean lines. I fell in love with some of Usher's speakers too.
                        ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                        Sapphos
                        Cables (Post #54)
                        Other speakers (Post #21)
                        Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
                        Boundary Augmentation
                        Dispersion/Interference

Comment

• No photos as you will know what they look like, but the KEF Concertos were the first 'hi fi' speakers I ever heard, so they would pass muster as my 'all time favourite commercial speakers'. For the time - maybe 40 years ago - I thought they were fantastic. Prior to that I'd only heard thin sounding systems with puny single cone speakers.

Plus with a woofer shaped like the race circuit track at Indianapolis, they looked cool! A friend of mine had a pair with a Crown pre and power amp set up and the sound was a revelation at the time. However, they cost four times more than my first car.

Geoff

Comment

• Regarding opinions, merely having the right to one implies nothing about whether it is worthy of consideration. Even so, here goes. I really enjoy the larger Magnepan products. Couldn't build one though. Why DIY? For fun, the community, music, mental exercise. Never needex more than these to justify my participation. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X