Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maynardg
    replied
    Regarding opinions, merely having the right to one implies nothing about whether it is worthy of consideration. Even so, here goes. I really enjoy the larger Magnepan products. Couldn't build one though. Why DIY? For fun, the community, music, mental exercise. Never needex more than these to justify my participation. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Millar
    replied
    No photos as you will know what they look like, but the KEF Concertos were the first 'hi fi' speakers I ever heard, so they would pass muster as my 'all time favourite commercial speakers'. For the time - maybe 40 years ago - I thought they were fantastic. Prior to that I'd only heard thin sounding systems with puny single cone speakers.

Plus with a woofer shaped like the race circuit track at Indianapolis, they looked cool! A friend of mine had a pair with a Crown pre and power amp set up and the sound was a revelation at the time. However, they cost four times more than my first car.

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• ReissM
    replied
    I've always liked the Rockport Technologies speakers. They are stunning. Also, most of the Sonus Faber speakers appeal to me aesthetically, but I've haven't listened to any of them. Next on my list is a speaker that influenced me to build a micro version... the Avalon Eidolon. Classy looking. Clean lines. I fell in love with some of Usher's speakers too.

Leave a comment:

• Zephyr
    replied
    Originally posted by Kornbread View Post

There are several different sizes and types of tungsten rods used in the gun tig welding. Might something like that be a direct replacement?
    What a great idea! Pure tungsten, lanthanated, with cerium, lots of flavors available for inverter style tig welding.

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    Originally posted by jwadams84 View Post

... eventually modified the tungsten electrodes with some heavy platinum wire to refurb ...
    There are several different sizes and types of tungsten rods used in the gun tig welding. Might something like that be a direct replacement?

Leave a comment:

• jwadams84
    replied
    Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
    Still want to hear a plasma tweeter. Read they emitted a lot of ozone? that was terrible on home decor.
    You could barely smell a tiny amount of ozone, definitely nothing to worry about. Main problem was cleaning and maintenance. They tended to attract dust and had to be cleaned to get the arc to start. Since parts were generally unavailable I eventually modified the tungsten electrodes with some heavy platinum wire to refurb. Sound was extremely free of coloration. These also had good bass extension due to the cabinet design, down in the 30 Hz range. Adequate for music without a sub. Very heavy, well braced hardwood cabinets.

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    Still want to hear a plasma tweeter. Read they emitted a lot of ozone? that was terrible on home decor.

Leave a comment:

• jwadams84
    replied
    DuKane Ionovac DUK-30 from 1961. Plasma tweeter, hardwood ducted port 12 inch corner tower with dual 3 inch midrange drivers. Ungodly sound, Very efficient, could be driven to full output with a 15 watt per channel amplifier. They just don't make 'em like they used to...

Leave a comment:

• fdieck
    replied
    Welp.... he went there. I was thinking it but I wasn’t going to say it.

Leave a comment:

• Rory Buszka
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_74198.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1381093

Leave a comment:

• marvin
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    All I can say is the main button on my Samsung tablet has crapped out after about a year.
    I never could understand why they replaced the typical Android soft home button with a mechanical button that is prone to wear!?!

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    All I can say is the main button on my Samsung tablet has crapped out after about a year.
    On the flip side, I've used thousands of their surface mount capacitors without any trouble. I'm sure these are separate business units we're talking about, with very different standards. TAD and Pioneer is a good example.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    The result of accountants and marketing people running a company. Planned obsolescence through the use of parts that are cheap and don't wear well.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• philthien
    replied
    Originally posted by fpitas View Post
    Samsung appears to be serious:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...nia-audio-lab/

Although, as we all know, the whole thing could go down the tubes with a change of management.
    While I haven't been a fan of Samsung gear (stung by too many failures of Samsung-made items), you do have to applaud their approach.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X