New Charging Board from Sure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

Me, I'd remove the on-board LED and solder wires to the PCB pads with a connector on the end to mate with a connector on the LED mounted to the enclosure.
    ^This
    "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
    The Roxster
    Swopes 5.0
    Acoustic Panels
    Living Room Make Over

Comment

EDIT: I have received new information from Sure. The design in Post 11 needs a slight modification. Do not use as-is. I will post an update shortly.

Comment

Mike, here are the results from your request
        "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
        The Roxster
        Swopes 5.0
        Acoustic Panels
        Living Room Make Over

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
          EDIT: I have received new information from Sure. The design below needs a slight modification. Do not use as-is. I will post an update shortly.

There's a new design in this thread.

Safe Harbor Statement

The following is a theoretical design. It is untested. Use at your own risk.

Overview

The picture shows a 24 V Li-Ion battery system for powering portable boomboxes using Sure's new battery management module (BMM). Each Sure BMM supports 3S Li-ion 18650 unprotected cells for a nominal 12 V output.

The design shows: (1) Battery operation using two BMMs in series to run an amplifier at 24 V; and (2) AC operation using a 24 V AC PS to charge the batteries and simultaneously power the amplifier.

Battery Operation

When the switch is in the BAT position, the BMMs are wired in series and provide a nominal 24 V to the amplifier. If the AC PS is plugged in, it will not supply any energy to the amp as the fully charged batteries are at 25.2 V. The diode prevents any battery voltage from entering the AC PS. As the batteries drain, their voltage will drop below 23.5 volts. At that point, the AC supply (minus 0.5 Voltage drop in the diode) will power the amplifier and the batteries will not provide any energy to the system.

AC Operation

When the switch is in the AC position, the BMMs are wired in parallel. Each BMM sees 23.4V (24 - 0.5 V diode drop), and will charge the batteries. The AC supply will also power the amplifier at 23.5 V. In this position, if the AC PS is removed, the amplifier will be powered by the BMMs in parallel at 12 V

Optional Relay - Automatic Operation

A DPDT relay can be used in place of the switch. Without an AC PS, the relay's default position is battery operation with the BMMs in series. The batteries will power the amplifier at 24 V. With an AC PS present, the PS DC output will trip the relay to the AC position. The batteries will charge and the AC PS will power the amplifier. The diode prevents the batteries from tripping the coil when the AC supply is not present.

Notes:

(1) We assume the amplifier has a on-off switch to turn it off, else it will always be on - powered by either the AC supply or the batteries.
          (2) No specification is given for the BMM max discharge current limit. Will it support 5+ amps peak demand?
          (3) EDIT: BMM battery charge current is 1.5 A. Two BMMs in parallel will draw 3.0 A. No specification is given for the BMM charge current. The AC PS may not have enough amps to charge multiple battery sets and simultaneously power the amplifier at high volumes.
          (3) Additional BMMs can wired in parallel with BMM1 and BMM2 for longer run times. Additional amps will be required from the AC PS during charging. EDIT: You'll need at least a 6 A PS just to charge 4 BMMs (see note 3). That's hard to come by in the convenient "Brick" format; easy for a "cage" type supply such as a Meanwell.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...-dc-amplifiers

Comment

Working...
          X