2 way speaker with tangband w6-1139

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 way speaker with tangband w6-1139

Hi, i have an w6-1139 sub lying around that i don't use. So my tought was to build a 2 way tower because it is less difficult than a 3 way tower. I search for a speaker that is full-range and with deccent highs. I came up with this speaker...

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-b...8-ohm--264-956

I want to crossover it at 150 hz but don't know if i put it sealed or vented because sealed will lower sensitivity by 3db wich maybe is a good thing because the sensitivity is 87db( subwoofer is 85 db)

Both drivers have a fall of about 150 hz maybe this is something to do with in the crossover design

Comment

I think the best use would be to do a full range driver and use the W6 as a sub. So you'd be doing a 2.1 system. Unless, you have 2 of the W6's, then you could do a full range driver like you've shown with the W6 as the woofer. The only problem (not really a problem, just an expense) is rolling off the sub down at 150 or so would require large value inductors and caps, so it might be a bit costly to do so. I think you'd be good to run the smaller driver sealed and you should get roll off naturally in the 150hz range, but best to check it with a box modeller like WinISD or Unibox.

If you have just one W6, I would look at the Founteks used in Paul Carmody's Isetta - you are just using a bigger sub, that is all. also had excellent results using the RS-100 full range. Lots of options for you! The Nd90's, Peerless TC drivers, also that TB you linked to.

Comment

Thanks, why do i need 2 subs. To match the fullrange spl? The reason i want it 2 way and not 2.1 is because i want a speaker that i can connect with any amp i want.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarface1 View Post
          Thanks, why do i need 2 subs. To match the fullrange spl? The reason i want it 2 way and not 2.1 is because i want a speaker that i can connect with any amp i want.
          Do you want just 1 speaker or a pair for stereo use?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarface1 View Post
            Then you will want a pair of something like the TB 3" fullranges you linked to, and then you will need something like the Dayton SA75 plate amp to run the subwoofer. That way, the full range drivers will get power from "any amp you want" and you can use the speaker level inputs on the SA75 plate amp which will power the sub.

Comment

Originally posted by scottvalentin View Post

Then you will want a pair of something like the TB 3" fullranges you linked to, and then you will need something like the Dayton SA75 plate amp to run the subwoofer. That way, the full range drivers will get power from "any amp you want" and you can use the speaker level inputs on the SA75 plate amp which will power the sub.
              I mean i want a speaker on it's own without a integraded amp like a plate amp. I have a subwoofer left here that i don't use so my tought is that i first make one speaker and if i have more time and money i can build a second.

Comment

A small plate amp costs about the same as another Tang Band, thinking towards the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

Do you want just 1 speaker or a pair for stereo use?
                  http://projectgallery.parts-express....jects/hafnium/

I want to build something like this but 2-way instead of 3-way to make it cheaper and i think easyer to do. Also i'm really curious how stereo subwoofer use will sound.

Comment

The "subs" being part of the stereo speakers will allow you to cross over from sub to full range higher than 80-100 HZ. A 2.1 systems' sub will localize its' position if fed frequencies higher than that.

Comment

I'd cross to a "full range" around 300, like Scott did.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                        I'd cross to a "full range" around 300, like Scott did.
                        Yes not really a fullrange but easyer to do with less of the cost, why around 300 hz? The reason i tought it was not good is because of the 5 db less spl. I don't know if the w6 have distortion in that range.

Comment

The W6-1139 will go with any 3" fullrange. I have used it in an 2.1 configuration with a pair of RS100-8 running fullrange sealed with a 4db BSC and a pair of AMT-8 tweeters with a 9KHz 1st order high pass.

The ND90 are also good in a 1 litre sealed enclosure with the ND20FA-6 tweeter.

All these fullrange drivers will require a small tweeter to get that airiness and off axis reponse.

Comment

Thanks, i think i will try a 2.1 setup with the nd90 and tweeter

Comment

My Zirconium project uses the W6-1139 in a compact 3 way design with the Dayton PS95 and AMT mini8 tweeter providing air and sparkle above 5 kHz. Might be worth a look...
                              Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Working...
                              X