Large Format 3 way HT tower. Give it to me straight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Format 3 way HT tower. Give it to me straight

I've had this dream of building a rocking set of of HT towers and have spent a bunch of time modeling something that will work remotely close to a flat response. I'd much rather use some PA drivers, but I cannot find anything in a conventional bass reflex, direct radiating format that will play low enough. The goal is to not use a sub-woofer. I suppose my goal was to go like the old days where you had a monster tower that could fill a room like nobody's business (and better). I want it to sound good though; I'm not after thump, bump, and loud.

Here is what I have chosen for drivers:
    qty. 2 Dayton RS270-4 in series
    qty. 2 FaitalPRO 4FE35
    qty. 1 Peerless XT25TG30-04 dual ring radiator

The only reason I ran anything through xover pro was to see how things would balance. I will be using an Ashly Protea with Ashly FTX2001 amplifiers to tri-amp the system. I designed a similar set-up using 12s, larger mids, and compression driver in a tractrix horn, but I couldn't post enough pictures to show it. I'll post it under this so you can see my madness.

Being new to HT speakers and alignments, I'm looking for honest advice here. Be straightforward with me, but don't treat me like an idiot please. Just give it to me straight!

Cheers,
    Chris
    rough CAD print of the enclosure 10s box info
    "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

This was the 12s idea I came up with:

qty. 2 Dayton DS315-8
    qty. 2 HiVi M6N
    qty. 1 Faital PRO STH100 tractrix 1" horn
    qty. 1 Eminence PSD3012-8 titanium 1" compression driver
    "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

Since you can tune it in place, for your box in your room, it should be very good.
      This is the main advantage of active crossovers, if you move them you can retune. I like it.
      Let us know how you like the faitals in this application, they will be loafing, and distortion will be low.

Comment

Originally posted by davidB View Post
        Since you can tune it in place, for your box in your room, it should be very good.
        This is the main advantage of active crossovers, if you move them you can retune. I like it.
        Let us know how you like the faitals in this application, they will be loafing, and distortion will be low.
        What is loafing?

Comment

Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post

What is loafing?
          Barely working . . .
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

That's not really that large.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
              That's not really that large.
              Well, that would be speculation and would also boil down to perception. No defense here, but do you have a suggestion other than what you have provided? I'm looking for help and suggestions here. If I need to go bigger then give me some ideas.

The reason I say that is because the industry is classing items like this as large format: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091A93...oss-Black.html

Thanks!
              Chris

Comment

Well, DIYSG has some really large HT speakers, ridiculously large. They also have a Bagby designed 3 way that doesn't require a sub. I don't know what you're after, but you can get some ideas from DIY sound group if you're wanting to design it yourself. They also have some proprietary Eminence woofers that may interest you. I can't link there, google DIYSG if you haven't been there.

Edit: I guess you could say Erich H has redefined large.

Comment

Well, it's no Voice of the Theater, but Chris has apparently been looking at modern needle-shaped commercial HT, so in that context these are large.
                  Old-school hifi speakers ran 16-18" on the floor, 10-14" actually being put on bookshelves(Ikea furniture need not apply).

The Heresy was pretty good as a bookshelf in the '70s.

Comment

large format had almost disappeared , i like what DIY sound group has done for the hobby and a few commercial companies are still building large .
                    no replacement for displacement !
                    donc

Comment

I agree, two 12" woofers is large in today's commercial speaker market. I was thinking of some of the stuff that AVSforum members are running.

Comment

Some of Erich's "O.M.G."-sized 99s look pretty enticing:

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-t...sive-1899.html

Ed Henderson

Comment

I think these will check all the boxes on your list, check out the sig Not a Khanspire ... They're also active. Two rs225s' in a box that large subs aren't needed unless you really want to shake the foundations. Maybe that will give you some ideas.

Just an fyi, size wise the da25bg will fit in place of the xt25tg, being active would make swapping tweets a nobrainer.

Have a Faital 5fe120 in another build, it sounds nice and smooth.
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post
                            I'd much rather use some PA drivers, but I cannot find anything in a conventional bass reflex, direct radiating format that will play low enough.
                            The Eminence Legend BP102 10" bass guitar drivers have an Fs of 35 Hz.
                            https://www.parts-express.com/eminen...4-ohm--290-470

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
                              I think these will check all the boxes on your list, check out the sig Not a Khanspire ... They're also active. Two rs225s' in a box that large subs aren't needed unless you really want to shake the foundations. Maybe that will give you some ideas.

Just an fyi, size wise the da25bg will fit in place of the xt25tg, being active would make swapping tweets a nobrainer.

Have a Faital 5fe120 in another build, it sounds nice and smooth.
                              Is that a better tweeter?

Comment

Working...
                              X