Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large Format 3 way HT tower. Give it to me straight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post

    What is loafing?
    Taking it easy.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post

      Is that a better tweeter?
      I'm not one to say it's a better tweeter, someone else will have to answer that question. IMO they're both very good for their price. My $.02; the xt25tg has more finesse up top but can sound a bit harsh in the lower treble; it may take a bit to work that out. It seemed pretty much straight forward to blend the da25bg with the woofer and not sound harsh in the lower treble.


      There are probably more tweeters with that same size, or nearly same size, faceplate. You are going the active route ... right? If you ddn't like one, you'd be able to swap tweeters and rework the active crossover without a lot of fuss.

      That is just my opinion, take it as such. My ears are not what they used to be (luckily I still have my good looks).
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

      Comment


      • #18
        Is there a better option out there for the mid range speakers I selected. I tried to find something in the Dayton lineup that would match the other speakers, but the sensitivity wasn't there.
        "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

        Comment


        • #19
          Also in the 12s format I outlined originally, is a compression driver and horn a bad idea for a HT setup?
          "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post

            What is loafing?
            The guy that works for me part time, because he has doctor appts. no drivers lic.. He does have ability that keeps him employed. He is 15 yrs.
            younger than me, If I do not supervise him he would not do anything. Sorry for the rant. This guy makes Scott Pruitt look competent and ethical
            and that's a reach. I forgot to mention he has full SS disability benefits, being he cannot work on the table because he has "issues".

            Comment


            • #21
              Never deny yourself the enjoyment of a good rant.
              But that must be some ability.

              Comment


              • #22
                I assumed you were going the active route. Is that correct?
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                  The guy that works for me part time, because he has doctor appts. no drivers lic.. He does have ability that keeps him employed. He is 15 yrs.
                  younger than me, If I do not supervise him he would not do anything. Sorry for the rant. This guy makes Scott Pruitt look competent and ethical
                  and that's a reach. I forgot to mention he has full SS disability benefits, being he cannot work on the table because he has "issues".
                  Is there a better driver that would suit my mid range duties?
                  "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
                    I assumed you were going the active route. Is that correct?
                    correct. DSP and crossover via an Ashly Protea 4.8SP
                    "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Be cautious with the " is that better" this is a game of diminishing returns. What one might call better another might despise.
                      The driver's you have should make a nice system. Build it then tweek it.
                      Kind of like bench racing if one turbo is good two hast to be better right? Next thing you know your frustrated with the headaches and wish you could just drive...

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
                        Be cautious with the " is that better" this is a game of diminishing returns. What one might call better another might despise.
                        The driver's you have should make a nice system. Build it then tweek it.
                        Kind of like bench racing if one turbo is good two hast to be better right? Next thing you know your frustrated with the headaches and wish you could just drive...
                        I completely understand your point. My confusion lies within using a pro audio driver as my mid range. I simply wasn't sure if there was a more suitable choice for my mid range duties.
                        "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          You have a wonderful midrange. ;)
                          Use it with DSP and it should be great. Without DSP it would require a decent amount of padding to keep the mids from overpowering the highs and lows.
                          Looks like it's time to start cutting lumber.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post

                            correct. DSP and crossover via an Ashly Protea 4.8SP
                            I'm not familiar with that offering but if that's like most any other active crossover/dsp, it should make matching the sensitivity of raw drivers an issue easily mitigated. Not to mention notch filters, crossover slopes, etc. IMO, it can make an otherwise difficult pairing less difficult.
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              How does everyone feel about the aluminum cone reference series by Dayton? I am just trying to make sure I select the best possible drivers for this project.

                              Thanks!
                              Chris
                              "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post
                                How does everyone feel about the aluminum cone reference series by Dayton? I am just trying to make sure I select the best possible drivers for this project.

                                Thanks!
                                Chris
                                Those have been proven in various designs. If there's a p after the model number the cone is paper. If you wanted to select the best possible drivers, no compromises, well, better get ready to spend some cash. PE now offers their most bestest epique @$300-400 a pop. There's nothing wrong with the drivers you chose first.
                                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X