Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any body see this?

http://www.audioxpress.com/news/remb...l-make-you-cry

I'm sorry, but that is a DC160 and a Tectonic Elements 2" driver.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Poplar is the wood you buy for your kid to learn about woodworking. I can see why people would cry after spending $3,500 and finding out that the wood is about the cheapest hardwood you can buy.
    Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

The TE driver isn't even centered properly in the main photo on their website.
      Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Not to pile on, but...

Electric cook stove trim rings around the woofer... brushed and brass plated?
        Probably not, but that's what it reminded me of... it looks very nice either way.

I just came back from Best Buy and I looked at every speaker there... none of them were very interesting to look at visually... boring actually except for the Martin Logan electrostats of course.
        At least Rembrandt Lab's is trying to generate a unique shape.

TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

It might be one of the other manufacturers doing bending-wave drivers. Some of 'em are a bit more spendy.

Probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by neildavis View Post
            Poplar is the wood you buy for your kid to learn about woodworking. I can see why people would cry after spending $3,500 and finding out that the wood is about the cheapest hardwood you can buy.
            Tell that to Javad. I'd stand back when you do
            Last edited by Millstonemike; 07-05-2018, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I gotta ask...would these $3500 speakers sound better than Paul C.'s ClassixII's?

Comment

They look very nice to me, and I expect they sound pretty good too. With audio, the whole can be greater than the sum of the parts. I wish them much success.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                  I gotta ask...would these $3500 speakers sound better than Paul C.'s ClassixII's?
                  Um, probably not: and my Classix 11 cost me about A$250 plus photos of Jimi Hendrix to decoupage the cabinets.

The woofer certainly looks like a DC160, but maybe it's not. I've seen a few 'retro' designs in Melbourne which use the same driver but are rather cheaper than this product.

If they can sell them at that price, good luck to them but it's a staggering mark-up, even if it's an active speaker. Maybe customers are paying for the hype in the advert?

Geoff

Comment

In cabinetmaking we use straight-grained pieces of poplar as facing on veneered plywood- excuse me "cross-grained construction', because it easily stains to match popular hardwoods-oak, cherry, maple, pecan(hickory).

Javad has done beautiful work with the striking grain of the heartwood.
                    I have never seen it used for soundboards(tonewood) by any of our local instrument makers.

So, there's a lot of moo-doo, but the price actually falls into the formula of component cost running 5-7% of retail.

Remember, there's a building(and utilities), equipment, box and packing, shipping, salaries(including expertise), insurance, advertising, and money to be paid for.
                    It's not an easy business.

This is why we roll our own, given the time. Or buy, given the ability to pay.

Comment

I think I'll wait for the 6moons review before committing to these.

Comment

Originally posted by davidB View Post
                        In cabinetmaking we use straight-grained pieces of poplar as facing on veneered plywood- excuse me "cross-grained construction', because it easily stains to match popular hardwoods-oak, cherry, maple, pecan(hickory).

Javad has done beautiful work with the striking grain of the heartwood.
                        I have never seen it used for soundboards(tonewood) by any of our local instrument makers.

So, there's a lot of moo-doo, but the price actually falls into the formula of component cost running 5-7% of retail.

Remember, there's a building(and utilities), equipment, box and packing, shipping, salaries(including expertise), insurance, advertising, and money to be paid for.
                        It's not an easy business.

This is why we roll our own, given the time. Or buy, given the ability to pay.
                        True about overheads, etc , and I expect the customers for these kinds of speakers would never think of a DIY build anyway. Maybe it's a bit like looking at a car and saying 'there's only $10,000 worth of steel and parts in it so how can it be sold for $80,000?

Geoff
                        Last edited by Geoff Millar; 07-06-2018, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I would like to hear them mostly due to the BMR driver being used in that speakers design.....The Philharmonitors use a T.E. BMR driver for the midrange.

Comment

Originally posted by davidB View Post
                            So, there's a lot of moo-doo.
                            I like that! I've been using 'bovine excrement'.

Later,
                            Wolf

"Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

Tell that to Javad. I'd stand back when you do
                              Poplar can be nice when used with other woods, and it is stable and easy to work with. It's a cost-effective choice for furniture and has a number of niche applications. But it is isn't commonly used for large finished surfaces, and when it is, the material is usually stained to look like other more expensive woods.

That "cross grain construction" doesn't make much sense. "Cross-grain construction" doesn't refer to "plywood" in this case--look closely at how the 3 pieces for the front baffle are joined. The piece in the center has the grain going vertically and the pieces on either side are bonded with the grain going in the opposite direction. And from the side view, it is clear that these are solid pieces rather than thin plies. Poplar's wood shrinkage properties are similar to other hardwoods, so this construction seems like a split waiting to happen. Their description of the construction technique just sounds like marketing fluff.

Ray Imblum has been a prominent audio designer for a long time, but he has been mostly associated with large line array and plane array systems. Here is a video of him telling you why round speakers are the wrong shape. Kind of begs the question why Rembrandt is using round speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51VB...ature=youtu.be

Click image for larger version  Name:	Inblum.PNG Views:	1 Size:	161.9 KB ID:	1381217
                              Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Working...
                              X