Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Cupcake Speaker Build Help Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bergarth
    started a topic Cupcake Speaker Build Help Please

Cupcake Speaker Build Help Please

Greetings Fellow DIY Junkies-

Im trying to build a Two way- With the woofer and tweeter in separate box's and the tweeter box will be separated from woofer box by dowels or something. With nice round over edges-

Driver thus far is a Eminence 8" Paper Cone Professional Woofer 8 Ohm
    Part # 290-4007 with
    Eminence PSD:2013-8 1" Titanium Compression Horn Driver 8 Ohm 2-Bolt
    Part # 290-5602 with an attached
    Eminence APT 200S 90x90 1" Horn Flare 1-3/8"-18 TPI
    Part # 290-557

Anyway Woofer box will be mid/bass will be aprox 53L Vented, and Tweeter box will be a few inches above it. Anyway for the life of me i cant get a good Xover line in PCD- Yes i know im new and have a lot to learn. Ive spent the last 6 hours on this and and i just gave up.

Wife loves the idea- Filling bass on the base and creamy sweets on top

I was hoping to get some help with a "baseline" Xover model. My brain is fried and im about to just say heck with it and try buying a Pre-Made Crossover from PE. Any help would be appreciated. These will Be our LCR so im keeping as much bass as possible or they will produce I am not looking for perfection- Just usable.

• Bergarth
    replied
    Thanks Unclemo, Yeah this is a crazy task. Thanks for the link ill incorporate that into what i am already doing.

Leave a comment:

• Unclemo
    replied
    I'm a total newbie at this as well, so I can understand how overwhelming this can all be. I suggest a decent sized glass of whiskey before you start. Luckily some of the fine members of this forum have been kind enough to help with the learning curve. Here is a pretty awesome step by step guide that I have been using to help me out, along with the whiskey
    http://woggmusic.com/advanced-speake...gn-simulation/

Leave a comment:

• Bergarth
    replied
    ANyway let me know what you think- im putting these on hold right now till get more concrete data and building second VBSS

Leave a comment:

• Bergarth
    replied
    woofer enclosure
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bergarth
    replied
    i started modeling baffle and box with his other program not sure where you load it in PCD

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    The SPL match and phase are going to be off unless you measure in box so don't sweat the phase. That said you should attempt to load the correct offsets in PCD. Right now it looks like you have a coax

I prefer Response Blender to add in the baffle response

Leave a comment:

• Bergarth
    replied
    Yeh id love a Tutorial- but i will do as you suggested. I was just stating what i "was" doing - I appreciate your help

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by Bergarth View Post
    i grabbed FRD and ZMA for the drivers and loaded them up.
    Reiterating .. you need to process the raw driver FRD and ZMA files in response modeler before "loading them up" into PCD. Response Modeler will change both FRD and ZMA files for both drivers to reflect: (1) Woofer in box response; (2) Woofer baffle step loss and diffraction; (3) Tweeter baffle diffraction and minimum phase. Baffle step is critical. it will reduce the raw low end response of the woofer and increase response above the raw driver graph higher up in frequency. All is depending on baffle dimensions and driver placement on the baffle that Response Modeler will accept as inputs.. The low to high variation of these effects is ~ 8 dB.

Can anyone point to the tutorial on Response Modeler and PCD for this ...

Leave a comment:

• Bergarth
    replied
    Yeah some like that but like 1-1.5cu ft and "floating" tweeter

Leave a comment:

• Bergarth
    replied
    i have built kits berfore, i want something my own this time. I think i have addressed most of the phase issues. If there is something anyone sees to correct please let me know. I have not used anything else before doing this- i grabbed FRD and ZMA for the drivers and loaded them up. I guess as of now im trying to get this looking ood enough - order drivers and build the cabs i want and then measure
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by Bergarth View Post

I dont know how to measure for Baffle step-
    You don't measure it per se'. You incorporate it's effect into your design. You mention PCD, good. Are you running your drivers through response modeler first? That's were you'll change the FR (and impedance) graphs for the drivers based on the baffle dimensions and driver location. You'll also model the woofer's in box response and incorporate that into the new RF and impedance graphs. Then those new graphs go into PCD for the XO design. As others have mentioned, a pre-built XO is like buying a lottery ticket. Very high odds the speaker will sound good.

Given what I've read, my recommendation is to search for member designs or retail kits that seem like they fit your criteria. We can estimate if separating the woofer and tweeter into separate boxes is doable or not, sound wise.

Leave a comment:

• Bergarth
    replied
    I swapped drivers that better match Having some fun playing with this but my phase is like looking at 3D garbage....How can i correct this
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bergarth
    replied
    Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    Several of the PRVs and Faital Pro have a smoother response up high if you limit yourself to pro drivers. RS225 and RS225P area also a good compromise between bass response and smooth top end
    HAHA like minds- Just seen them also The DS215-8

Leave a comment:

Working...
X