Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What speaker and amps for 10,000 square feet gym (open space) ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What speaker and amps for 10,000 square feet gym (open space) ?

Hello everybody.

A close friend of mine is going to start a gym in a big warehouse that is 160 x 65 feet (around 10,000 square feet) and that has an height of 13 feet.

You can imagine it as a big box of 160 x 65 x 13 feet. There are no walls or columns inside, it's totally empty.

He needs:
    - Just decent power to broadcast the music around the gym.
    - Possibility to connect the amps to the gym wi-fi, in order to stream over wi-fi the music from an iPad
    - Support for DAB+ (by 2020 all radio will broadcast in DAB+ in my country)

We are trying to understand which amps and speakers to buy, in order to not to spend more than 3000 USD. The speakers should be wall mounted at around 9-10 feet, or even higher ideally.

Do you have any suggestion or amps and speakers models we could look at? I have seen a thread from 2011 on the forum, but there is no suggestion on which amps to use and the speakers are to be installed on the ceiling, and we can't do this.

Thank you.

You might want to post your questions in the Pro Audio forum ....

Comment

I could be the wrong person to ask, but a solid PA system is going to run over $3k USD. Thats even two (2) speakers and an amp, or two (2) solid self powered mains. There are speakers out there you can buy for your price range, but you are going to get complete garbage of sound. The exception to this would be DIY and even then you'd be close. Just my $0.02
      "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

It might be wise to rent a system that you could afford and see how well it works in the gym. Like a try it before you buy it.

Comment

Thank you for the replies.

I was not sure that the Pro Audio was the correct forum, but I can ask to close this thread and I will open one there.

The idea of renting is a good idea, in some weeks he will start some working inside, so he will also run the wires across the gym.

I will open the question in the Pro Audio and we can go on from there.

Comment

Originally posted by STIchris722
            There are speakers out there you can buy for your price range, but you are going to get complete garbage of sound
            Even good speakers will likely sound bad in a gym with those dimensions, but no one at the gym is really going to be looking for Hi-Fi. (Unless your friend will be hosting cheer/dance competitions, in which case disregard this.) What about a bunch of in-ceiling speakers? You can get 8" ceiling speakers from $30-$40 a piece (Parts Express or Micca). Not sure the best way to power them. Maybe a few sub-woofers if you really need some more bass.

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

Even good speakers will likely sound bad in a gym with those dimensions, but no one at the gym is really going to be looking for Hi-Fi. (Unless your friend will be hosting cheer/dance competitions, in which case disregard this.) What about a bunch of in-ceiling speakers? You can get 8" ceiling speakers from $30-$40 a piece (Parts Express or Micca). Not sure the best way to power them. Maybe a few sub-woofers if you really need some more bass.
              You make a valid point. The gym I had pictured in my head was from my childhood which had Owens corning 703 panels, framed, and wrapped for sound absorption and flown passive PA speakers. I guess we would need a little more info on what the OP means by "broadcast music around the gym." Ceiling mounted speakers on a 70V system would be relatively inexpensive, but it would have no body to it and would sound like music being reproduced through a coffee can. If I was going to spend $3k USD, I would make sure I got something that sounded like something. Those in ceiling speakers are nothing more than a mild sensitivity car audio, coaxial speaker. Without a proper cabinet I don't feel as though the end user would get any body in the music. I know companies like Community and others specialize in gyms and auditoriums and their drivers are mostly horn loaded and a completely different design than your typical loudspeaker.

Regardless, 70V would be the way to go for an inexpensive paging style system like a4eaudio has mentioned. Ashly Audio out of NY makes great 70V amplifiers/mixers/paging systems for this exact application. They even have wall controllers or wifi enabled controllers from an IOS device.

Assumptions are never a good idea and in this case I made one. On a DIY speaker forum my 'assumption' was that we were after quality sound. Sorry if I offended someone
              "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

Do you want background music or a rock concert?

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                  Do you want background music or a rock concert?
                  I misread the original post. I thought it was an existing gymnasium like what is found in a school. I didn't realize it was a building being turned into a gym. I read too fast over that part.

I would highly suggest using constant voltage speakers and a system from Ashly Audio. Super flexible and relatively inexpensive.

The gym I go to has Bose 301s on the wall and some sort of ceiling mounted sub-woofers from bose mounted in the ceiling in two (2) spots. With 13 foot ceilings, you wouldn't have an issue filling that room. The only beauty of constant voltage is you can do zones and run single amps because there are no impedance issues. That way you can have the cycling room louder than the free weight room. Follow?

Comment

Thank you very much for the replies. I attach the schema of the gym, yesterday I was not able to attach it. He does not need to broadcast music into the dressing rooms or into his offices, but he can leverage the walls to attach the speakers. As you can see the ceiling is not flat but is higher than 13 feet. I believe it was not relevant but I realize now that it is. I don't believe he can leverage the ceiling to attach speakers/woofer, since the ceiling is the roof of the building itself.

The idea is to place the stereo system control on the short side on the left. It's not a problem to wire the place.

His aim is just background music, no rock concert.

You are right, it's a warehouse as of now used by a car mechanic that will be converted to gym. Luckily there are not too many work to do inside.

Comment

At the gym that I go to they just have in-ceiling coaxials mounted every 12-20ft or so and that does great for background music. That said, looks like a roof mounted solution might not be viable for the space you're looking at.
                      A whole lot of these mounted at intervals about half way up the walls might work out cost effective:
                      https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-pair--300-652
                      Then you will want a line transformer for each speaker so you can run the whole lot off a fewer amount of line amplifiers. Perhaps someone else can chime in to suggest suitable line transformers and amps as I haven't used them before.

You'll probably also want to add some room treatment to kill echos due to having a space with a high ceiling otherwise both the sound system will sound bad and the place will be noisy with people loudly clanging down weights etc. Some budget ideas for this:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZMLH498sfM
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIKII3O4GXA

Comment

As a few others have said, you will need to treat the room so it does not become a huge echo chamber.

The church I attend (a very high tech and modern huge building) has one huge open area about the length of your building and about 30 feet wide with no treatments and it is nearly impossible to even TALK yet alone play music in it.
                        Every sound reverberates for a few seconds!

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think that he can treat the floor for echos, but I will ask to the engineer that is helping us with the work for sure.

I checked the speakers and they are only 40 WATT RMS, could this be enough?

Could 3 speakers on the long side and 2 speakers on the short side be fine? I want to avoid to have to pump up the volume too much for spreading the music.
                          Other question, very important: even by using stereo channel I will have L and R channels. How should I place the speakers? On one wall all L channel and on the opposite wall all R channel?

Any idea about the amp to be used? Initially I thinking of using the Yamaha RX-V683, but then I have been told that this would not be good, since not powerful enough.

Comment

Constant Voltage is going to be the ticket if you want coverage in the entire building without having two (2) or three (3) HT amplifiers with zone control: https://www.belden.com/blog/broadcas...peaker-systems

This is a good quick read. Like I continually keep mentioning, Ashly Audio makes awesome 70V system that would be the ticket for your application. How many zones would you need? Would you like to be able to control them from an IOSs device or a wall switch?

https://www.parts-express.com/70v-10...former--300-22

These already have the line matching transformer on them

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-pair--300-405

Comment

Originally posted by Zack_1982 View Post
                              Unfortunately I don't think that he can treat the floor for echos, but I will ask to the engineer that is helping us with the work for sure.

I checked the speakers and they are only 40 WATT RMS, could this be enough?

Could 3 speakers on the long side and 2 speakers on the short side be fine? I want to avoid to have to pump up the volume too much for spreading the music.
                              Other question, very important: even by using stereo channel I will have L and R channels. How should I place the speakers? On one wall all L channel and on the opposite wall all R channel?

Any idea about the amp to be used? Initially I thinking of using the Yamaha RX-V683, but then I have been told that this would not be good, since not powerful enough.
                              I would look more at zones and balance. Where do you want the music louder at times and separated at other times. With these zonal amplifiers you can have different things playing through different zones. (i.e. your cycling room playing "I can't driver 55", your weight lifting room playing "down with the sickness" and the tanning and massage rooms playing something relaxing. I'm totally making some of this stuff up, but you get the point.

Also don't look at wattage as a direct correlation of output or SPL. You need to know some other factors. 40w in a high sensitivity speaker will blow your ears out. My old gym had two (2) pairs of KLH (JUNK JUNK JUNK) 3 inch 2 ways to fill the entire building. They worked fine, but you couldn't hear anything but lyrics and if that.

Comment

Working...
                              X