Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

What speaker and amps for 10,000 square feet gym (open space) ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What speaker and amps for 10,000 square feet gym (open space) ?

Hello everybody.

A close friend of mine is going to start a gym in a big warehouse that is 160 x 65 feet (around 10,000 square feet) and that has an height of 13 feet.

You can imagine it as a big box of 160 x 65 x 13 feet. There are no walls or columns inside, it's totally empty.

He needs:
    - Just decent power to broadcast the music around the gym.
    - Possibility to connect the amps to the gym wi-fi, in order to stream over wi-fi the music from an iPad
    - Support for DAB+ (by 2020 all radio will broadcast in DAB+ in my country)

We are trying to understand which amps and speakers to buy, in order to not to spend more than 3000 USD. The speakers should be wall mounted at around 9-10 feet, or even higher ideally.

Do you have any suggestion or amps and speakers models we could look at? I have seen a thread from 2011 on the forum, but there is no suggestion on which amps to use and the speakers are to be installed on the ceiling, and we can't do this.

Thank you.

• Squidspeak
    replied
    Originally posted by Zack_1982 View Post
    Sound quality and capability of doing everything within 6k USD. I will have to connect the stereo systems to Internet to broadcast music, so I will have also to include a good AV I believe.

Only requirements .
    If you are going to use an AV unit as your pre-amp make sure it has pre-outs to input into the poweramp.

Leave a comment:

• Zack_1982
    replied
    Sound quality and capability of doing everything within 6k USD. I will have to connect the stereo systems to Internet to broadcast music, so I will have also to include a good AV I believe.

Only requirements .

Leave a comment:

• Squidspeak
    replied
    Maybe look beyond Yamaha, yes they make as good pro-amps as any other. Can you get their product at discount ? There are a lot of alternatives but I don't know what is
    driving your choices as far as brand.

Leave a comment:

• Zack_1982
    replied
    We are checking if the ceiling can be used, but most probably no.

Yamaha replied for solution 1 and they suggested to NOT to use and AV like I wrote, but to attach the speakers to an amplifier.

Are Yamaha good amplifiers? I am thinking at this point to go to solution 2, leveraging a 8 channels amplifier...

Leave a comment:

• Mike C
    replied
    Look at hanging pendant style speakers, I'm sure there would be something to attach the support cables to. Lots of makes and models to choose from.

Leave a comment:

• tom_s
    replied
    I'll offer a different opinion/option: With $6K to spend, you might end up with a better sounding system that's easier to operate and more reliable (bullet-proof) by hiring a professional who has access to the proposed building. You might want to search for a paper titled "Why churches buy three sound systems..."

Leave a comment:

• Zack_1982
    replied
    Regarding solution 2.... is everything correct?

Leave a comment:

• Zack_1982
    replied
    Squidspeak: client is always right no? He told me he doesn't need zones. Count that he will have his office and also he will talk during sessions, so music will not be so loud

In any case it's also good to create a forecast of the expense in case of zones, to compare the two solutions:

So far we have:

Solution 1) Yamaha RX-A2070BL --> 8 speakers all in stereo configuration.
    Note on solution 1:
    - Yamaha has to confirm the loss of power when all speakers are connected in stereo-channel,

Solution 2) Yamaha RX-A680 (music source) --> Mixer MX 406 (via the RCA inputs) --> Amplifier KLR-2000 (via the jack audio 6.3) --> 4 speakers on channel 1 and 4 speakers on channel 2.
    Note on solution 2:
    - Are the connections between the different components correct? I am not sure how to connect exactly the different components.
    - How can zone be defined if I join together group of 4 speakers? Will I have maximum 2 zones? So for having more zones I need more KLR-2000? How multiple KLR 2000 are connected to the MX 406?

- Other than zones, which would be the advantages? Spending double is not a problem if there is value in it.

Note on both solutions: should speakers be mounted on the corner or along the walls? Are the AW6500 good for corners?

I am verifying the possibility of using the ceiling by attaching the speakers there, but since so far I have been told this is not possible, I would like to discard this solution as of now.

Leave a comment:

• Squidspeak
    replied
    Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post

I believe you and I have reached a stalemate which is totally fine. Agree to disagree. I believe we are both trying to provide differing ideas (solutions) to the OP. I can think of multiple ways to do this project and utilizing that device you mentioned is actually now one (1) of them. Turning everything up to 11 though completely negates the purpose of having a zone controller. Not to mention Zack has mentioned numerous times that zone control is of no concern. In my opinion (you know what they say), and if it were my gym (which it's not) I would want zone control and I know exactly how I would do it. Now with that being said, everyone will do things differently by how they see fit, advice from others, and what their budget dictates.

Zack -- If you would like my opinion or help on this project, PM me. I'd be glad to offer up my ideas.

Aside from that, I'm going to have to retire from this thread. There is too much disagreement.
    You do realize (sarcasm) turning up to 11 was a joke. my point was he would have zone control and he could turn them to whatever works for his situation. Say for instance the office where equipment is located do you think it's not a bad idea to be able to control the volume in that area
    as opposed to lowering the volume for the whole gym if a phone call needed to be answered? Google 3 stooges

Leave a comment:

• STIchris722
    replied
    Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post

If your friend wants he can turn all zones up to 11, I'm pretty sure they go to 11!
    I believe you and I have reached a stalemate which is totally fine. Agree to disagree. I believe we are both trying to provide differing ideas (solutions) to the OP. I can think of multiple ways to do this project and utilizing that device you mentioned is actually now one (1) of them. Turning everything up to 11 though completely negates the purpose of having a zone controller. Not to mention Zack has mentioned numerous times that zone control is of no concern. In my opinion (you know what they say), and if it were my gym (which it's not) I would want zone control and I know exactly how I would do it. Now with that being said, everyone will do things differently by how they see fit, advice from others, and what their budget dictates.

Zack -- If you would like my opinion or help on this project, PM me. I'd be glad to offer up my ideas.

Aside from that, I'm going to have to retire from this thread. There is too much disagreement.

Leave a comment:

• Zack_1982
    replied
    He said no zones... but if having zones improve the quality, now that we came to know about the loss problem (i am writing yamaha right now) we could implement zones. In the end he will use all of them with same volume levels.

Question is: which gave the best solution in terms of audio quality?

Ps. Thank you for the "nice job" on the picture... PowerPoint helps for real sometimes

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied
    ...neat little device. I never knew anything like this existed without going constant voltage.....
    I installed a Niles version of this sort of device for a friend years ago ( prior to Wireless options )
    It will balance impedance, but it doesn't negate the insertion loss due to long wire runs.

Leave a comment:

• Squidspeak
    replied

neat little device. I never knew anything like this existed without going constant voltage. I didn't consider anything like this because the OP didn't want zone control. That's how we landed where we are now.
    If your friend wants he can turn all zones up to 11, I'm pretty sure they go to 11!

Leave a comment:

• STIchris722
    replied
    Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
    I think it is a mistake to not have zone volume control also if you use a relatively inexpensive 6 zone speaker selector w/volume control it negates the impedence issue so you could run 12 speakers ,6 stereo pairs off of one 2ch power amp and use whatever works as the preamp controller for
    your needs.

Edit PE part#300-612 6 zone speaker selector w/volume controller under $250USD
    Monoprice also makes one
    neat little device. I never knew anything like this existed without going constant voltage. I didn't consider anything like this because the OP didn't want zone control. That's how we landed where we are now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X