Threaded inserts...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
    If your crossthreading them well,,,,,, that’s your fault. When inserting the screw start by turning it backwards until you feel it fall a little. Now you’ve found the beginning of each thread (screw and insert). A new screw and a new insert should be almost impossible to cross thread...
    This.

I start all of mind by hand until I can't thread them further, then I torque them down with the chuck on the drill turned down (gradually turning it up until I'm satisfied). I had ONE cross thread and fall out a few years ago and that was enough for me. Now I'm intimidated by a $0.03 piece of metal every time.

I will also use a spot of normal wood glue on the hurricane nut just so the MDF "solidifies" around it, helping prevent stripping.
    Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by cap View Post
      biggest problem is not the system chosen but rather the distance to the edge with the driver mounting holes. Scan Speak is the worst for this as there is minimal material to enlarge for insert !
      I hear ya! I'll see the MDF separate into layers if I'm not careful around a very close driver cutout edge.

One other tip I have for any threaded insert really.... I'd rather take a tap and chase out the threads to make sure they are cut correctly before inserting them into the cabinet. I'm always paranoid that the dip coating that gets applied to some of these doesn't preserve the thread form correctly, thus causing me to torque the insert out of the hole!

+1 on the EZ-Lok brand! and #1 on some form of wood glue or epoxy during install to make sure they don't come out under normal uses (not me being an idiot and continuing to torque on a screw that's clearly snagged on something!)
      Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
      Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
      The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
      SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
      The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
        If your crossthreading them well,,,,,, that’s your fault. When inserting the screw start by turning it backwards until you feel it fall a little. Now you’ve found the beginning of each thread (screw and insert). A new screw and a new insert should be almost impossible to cross thread.

If your pulling them out,,,,,,your overtightening them! Buy yourself a torque limiting screwdriver. Most guys over tighten screws. It’s in our DNA! If a little is good, more has to be better, right?

Good luck, Mark
        It's my help that has had the issues and with 50 cabinets of this design it is more likely to find some problems!
        I am just asking what other people are using, NOT about the many issues with my DNA
        Guess xmax's age.

My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

Comment

If I am working with MDF and do not have a lot of space; I pre-drill, fill the hole and surrounding area with 5 min epoxy, re-drill to clean out any epoxy, then use deep thread wood screws.

Comment

Working...
          X