OT: Honey, I think I need Brakes

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0214.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1381487

• bolland83
    replied
    I had one that ended up like that, turns out the front wheel bearing was working it's way out of the steering knuckle, causing a severe hub/caliper misalignment. Poor design (press fit only? really?) and out of spec replacement parts were to blame.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Like some comedian once said.... " I started hearing a grinding sound coming from the back of the car when I slow down, and I knew that it would cost me several hundred dollars..... for louder speakers!"

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• beatle
    replied
    And I thought mine were bad. I replaced the rear rotors, pads, and hardware 2 years ago on my truck (OEM parts) and started hearing a grinding sound from the passenger rear about a week ago during braking. I went to check them out and found this.

I'm guessing the pad seized in the bracket. Thinking back, I don't think I greased the pins of the caliper or the bracket itself and that may have caused the problem. You can see the disparate amount of wear on the other pad. The brakes never squealed, even as they were getting low. The grinding was the only thing that tipped me off.

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    Your audio system must be amazing!

Leave a comment:

• devnull
    replied
    Originally posted by donc View Post
    these huge chain stores will take anyone who can fog a mirror , show them a couple of videos and put them to work on the most important part of your vehicle ,the stopping part !
    donc
    Dealers aren't much better. There's actually time built in to the book time on a brake job to check the runout of the rotor and the hub. Has anyone actually seen a mechanic use a dial indicator during a brake job?

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    One morning a gal came into work and asked if I could take a look at her car during lunch; said it had made a loud clunking sound when she parked (Plymouth Sundance - I believe).
    When she stopped, the caliper stopped the rotor, but (due to rust and wear, and probably bad design) the hub kept turning and sheared off. Yeow !

Leave a comment:

• AEIOU
    replied
    Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
    A couple more miles ... I could have had a high resolution sundial.
    I printed out one on card stock, from the CANON Creative website, then assembled it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1148 (Large).jpg Views:	1 Size:	203.6 KB ID:	1381579

Leave a comment:

• donc
    replied
    these huge chain stores will take anyone who can fog a mirror , show them a couple of videos and put them to work on the most important part of your vehicle ,the stopping part !
    donc

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    A couple more miles ... I could have had a high resolution sundial.

Leave a comment:

• AEIOU
    replied

On a side note: Did you know that over torqueing the wheel lug nuts is bad for the brake rotors? It will cause the brake disc to cup inward ever slightly, eventually causing problems. Yeah, some of the guys who change tires for a living will torque the lugs nuts down in a big hurry, exceeding the manufacturers recommended specifications. I learned about not over tightening lugs nuts and potential brake problems from the set of instructions that came with some high performance aftermarket discs I installed on a Honda Accord. So, next time you have your tires changed or rotated, make sure they hand torque the lug nuts. Seriously, some of those guys think 300 foot pounds of torque is no big deal. I once helped a neighbor remove his wheel from his vehicle, it was on so tight, that it took the both of use using a long breaker bar to break the lug nuts loose, my feet were coming off the ground as I was pushing down! It wasn't a rust issue either, they were on way too fricken tight.

Many, many years ago I took my car in to have the brakes done. It was the first and last time I'll ever have anyone else do my brakes. Talk about a rush job and gouging you for all the little "extras" that they could find. I won't mention the name of the nation wide company, but there is a certain King that when he touched everything, it turned to gold. Yeah, don't let them touch your brakes.

Leave a comment:

• tom_s
    replied
    My son is working at brake & muffler shop this summer and tells me stories about the dangerous piles of sheet people bring in. He said someone came in last week with no caliper on the left front. They had clamped off the line with a pair of vise-grips. They had been driving it like that for over a month!!

Leave a comment:

• wogg
    replied
    Only 1 year since a shop worked on those? Obviously the rotors were shot then and either they over-turned them or didn't touch them and put on pads. Crap job either way. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Am I seeing that one side of the rotor is gone? Just making sure what I'm seeing there....

Yeah, my wife said that recently too. Lightly scored rear rotor. At the age of the car, I'll likely just put some new pads on it.

Seems we have bad luck with brakes in terms of wear, but I don't ride them either, and neither does she.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Jake
    replied
    Lol, "honey I keep hearing this grinding sound"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X