Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is Eminence going to make a good 18"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is Eminence going to make a good 18"?

I really like Eminence speakers, but everything in their 18" line has poor stats for my taste. The KappaliteLF series from 10", 12", to 15" are all very solid. Why don't they make something in an 18"? All I want is a speaker with some high sensitivity, good xmax, low qts, etc. Give me something like everything else in the Kappalite line with a 10-12mm xmax and high sensitivity that models well in a medium sized enclosure. B&C and Faital make drivers as such, but for some reason Eminence is really behind the times here. Does anyone else agree?

I built a set of subs using the sigmapro's and they sound awful, have no low frequency extension, and quickly run out of xmax. They were my first project so I didn't really know what I was getting into, but now I do and the point is I want better from my company! Anyone else have better luck?
    "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Tell me about your Sigma Pro 18 box? 43Hz from an 18 in 6 cf seems pretty great (for a pro-sound driver) to me.
    It's rated at 97dB, Dude. (I would actually like its Qts to be a tad higher.) Bad box design, perhaps?

Comment

How about the 18ULF? Should do the trick...
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
        Tell me about your Sigma Pro 18 box? 43Hz from an 18 in 6 cf seems pretty great (for a pro-sound driver) to me.
        It's rated at 97dB, Dude. (I would actually like its Qts to be a tad higher.) Bad box design, perhaps?
        +1

I built a pair of subs using these a few years ago and they were fantastic. Roughly 6 cubes as well. You can't expect much below ~40 from an 18 with a Qts this low in a conventional vented box. As Chris said, I wouldn't mind that Q to be a bit higher either.
        Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post
          ... but for some reason Eminence is really behind the times here. Does anyone else agree?...
          They have been an OEM since the late 60s, as such they are market driven.
          ( My father was an Engineer at Magnavox and I was able to glean from their evaluation and production drivers, including CTS, and Eminence models).
          They will contract to build drivers to desired spec - provided it's a large enough production run. Manufacturer have them make specific units for their cabinets.
          At times Eminence has produced drivers that were well suited for Horns, but because of limited sales they were discontinued.

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

The Definimax 4018LF is their best 18, I have never used it but based on comments from others that have it doesn't quite stack up to the best offerings from B&C and others but then again those best offerings are exceptional.
            Paul O

Comment

Erich h at diysg has had Eminence build woofers to his specs. Eminence makes the Lab 12 and 15, real subwoofers. PE had a kit with a 8" Eminence sub, but it's discontinued.

They made this 15" for Erich, so they could probably do an 18" for you.

Excursion test of Denovo 15" high xmax pro woofer (manufactured by Eminence) Slow-Motion - YouTube

Comment

Minimum Quantity & Billing

"Eminence Speaker reserves the right to set minimum order quantities based on production quantities and raw material purchases. The normal minimum release quantity is 50 pieces per model. Our minimum billing is 50 pieces per model per order."

Eminence makes the Lab 12 and 15, real subwoofers.
                The Lab 15 has traded LF extension in exchange for 88.5 dB 1W/1m sensitivity, as opposed to the Pro sound sensitivity of the aforementioned Kappalite LF series.
                Chris:
                With a 10-12mm xmax and high sensitivity... All I want is a speaker with some high sensitivity, good xmax, low qts, etc.
                At the risk of being interpreted as glib: Chris is asking for his Hoffman Fantasy Cake and Eat it too - Affordably of course ( he knows for technical reasons I jest )
                Last edited by Sydney; 07-09-2018, 02:26 PM. Reason: clarity
                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

The LAB series are not PA subs unless they are horn loaded in my eyes. The sensitivity is way too low, but with great xmax.

Sydney -- You hit the nail on the head! haha. I know those two things contradict each other (to some extent). I just want B&C output/specs/performance from Eminence. I like keeping money domestic

I built the SigmaProA2 in a 4.5 ft^3 box tuned to 44Hz I think. Those actually have 99dB sensitivity. Something just doesn't sound right to me. My 15" kappalite 3015LF in their 4 ft^3 box tuned to 44Hz sound way better. Not sure why. I know I'm camparing apples to oranges, but still.

The B&C sub I have been looking at is the 18TBW100 and the FaitalPro is the 18HW1070. Decent sensitivity with high xmax and relatively low Fs.
                  "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

This caught my eye:
                    http://www.audioxpress.com/article/t...21-inch-woofer
                    I should also note that this driver stayed very linear up to 40 V. I would have needed to drive it probably up to 60 V to start riding out of the gap, but it’s difficult to be in the same room at that voltage level!

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                      the best sub i've ever heard .
                      Paper Towers
                      RS180P/28F surrounds
                      Boombox

Comment

My poorly made point is that Eminence makes woofers and they make subwoofers. I can read specs.

Comment

Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post
                          The B&C sub I have been looking at is the 18TBW100 and the FaitalPro is the 18HW1070. Decent sensitivity with high xmax and relatively low Fs.
                          The B&C are amazing subs. I picked up an 18TBW100 at the tent sale a few years back for $50. I had to spend $10 at the local TSC and buy some straps so I could get it home on my motorcycle, and it was totally worth it. I use it in my barn/workshop and it's got plenty of clean output. I also picked up a 15TBW100 the next year for $40, but I have yet to build a box for it. I would highly recommend a B&C sub.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                            My poorly made point is that Eminence makes woofers and they make subwoofers. I can read specs.
                            Chill. I'm not questioning your competency or anything. I was simply talking about PA subs which have higher sensitivity than the LAB series. That's all. No harm done here.

Comment

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post

the best sub i've ever heard .
                              how did you build and tune your enclosure? I cannot get this thing to look good no matter what I do. The 18TBW100 looks much better and is within 1dB of the same output, but is linear. I don't know; Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X