Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is Eminence going to make a good 18"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    How about the 18ULF? Should do the trick...
    Wolf
    I tried modeling this one (1) too and couldn't get the output without exceeding the short xmax. I think I was thermally limited to 700W @ 8ft^3 tuned to 32Hz
    "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

Originally posted by 1100xxben View Post

The B&C are amazing subs. I picked up an 18TBW100 at the tent sale a few years back for $50. I had to spend $10 at the local TSC and buy some straps so I could get it home on my motorcycle, and it was totally worth it. I use it in my barn/workshop and it's got plenty of clean output. I also picked up a 15TBW100 the next year for $40, but I have yet to build a box for it. I would highly recommend a B&C sub.
      I'm so excited to get one (1) of these built. It has to sound so good!
      "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

Originally posted by 1100xxben View Post

The B&C are amazing subs. I picked up an 18TBW100 at the tent sale a few years back for $50. I had to spend $10 at the local TSC and buy some straps so I could get it home on my motorcycle, and it was totally worth it. I use it in my barn/workshop and it's got plenty of clean output. I also picked up a 15TBW100 the next year for $40, but I have yet to build a box for it. I would highly recommend a B&C sub.
        Thought you had 18TBX100?
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I supposed my point here is that if Eminence made an 18" speaker of which I could care less of the magnet material that had a sensitivity of 97dB 1W/1m with an xmax between 10-12mm I would be sold. As would a ton of other people. They did it on their Kappalite 3015LF with flying colors. The Fs isn't extremely low, but it doesn't need to be for the application. Give me a solid 38-40Hz and I will be grinning from ear to ear!

Comment

For Eminence to create a driver like that they'd need to be sure there was a market for it. Since they haven't made one their market research must have concluded that at least where the Eminence brand is concerned that there isn't, at least not with the sales numbers that they're used to.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Thought you had 18TBX100?
              Wolf
              Yep, you're correct... still an amazing "little" driver!

Comment

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post

the best sub i've ever heard .
                Haven't had the opportunity but the Klippel data would put this on a very short list of drivers I'd consider for a Performance Sound System ( IF I were so inclined ).

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post
                  I supposed my point here is that if Eminence made an 18" speaker of which I could care less of the magnet material that had a sensitivity of 97dB 1W/1m with an xmax between 10-12mm I would be sold. As would a ton of other people. They did it on their Kappalite 3015LF with flying colors. The Fs isn't extremely low, but it doesn't need to be for the application. Give me a solid 38-40Hz and I will be grinning from ear to ear!
                  I can appreciate the desire, but in this age of global economics, even Eminence has facilities overseas
                  Anyway....
                  From experience I know what a JBL 2241 is capable of; most grouse about their cost however.
                  "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                  “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                  "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                    Haven't had the opportunity but the Klippel data would put this on a very short list of drivers I'd consider for a Performance Sound System ( IF I were so inclined ).
                    My best friend, and guitarist in one of the bands that I gig with just recently finished this little beast. It has a built in EV sub amp with dsp. It is a great sounding sub that plays very cleanly, and it has all the thump for the room sizes that we generally play, but he is going to build another identical one to run stereo mixes. My Oak Yamaha kick drum sounds fantastic since he added this bad boy. It also sounds beautiful pushing everything from rock to electric jazz fusion, combined with dsp powered EV high mid enclosures. If I ever decided to use subs at home, I would duplicate it, with his help. Glenn.

Comment

If you want high sensitivity, long Xmax (which means long coil which means lower Fs, which kills midband sensitivity), then you can either have low Qts by way of low Qes to bump up the midband sensitivity (which then also kills the low end), or high Vas with a mid-Qts, which means larger enclosure in order to maintain the midband sensitivity into the low-corner where the alignment takes over for the output. Study T/S parameters a bit more and do some more modeling and all this stuff starts to "click". Remember: Forget the rated sensitivity spec you see. That's the midband sensitivity. Not on the low-end where you need bass extenstion. That [low-end] is governed (simplistically) by T/S parameters and the specific alignment you choose to implement. You will often times see that to get the extension you need, you have to give up on that high sensitivity spec you see on paper. Remember when you modeled the 10HP1020 in bassbox and how when you tune the enclosure low the FR starts to dip/level off at a lower SPL than the midband response? Same thing applies here.

Comment

Working...
                      X