Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is Eminence going to make a good 18"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STIchris722
    started a topic When is Eminence going to make a good 18"?

When is Eminence going to make a good 18"?

I really like Eminence speakers, but everything in their 18" line has poor stats for my taste. The KappaliteLF series from 10", 12", to 15" are all very solid. Why don't they make something in an 18"? All I want is a speaker with some high sensitivity, good xmax, low qts, etc. Give me something like everything else in the Kappalite line with a 10-12mm xmax and high sensitivity that models well in a medium sized enclosure. B&C and Faital make drivers as such, but for some reason Eminence is really behind the times here. Does anyone else agree?

I built a set of subs using the sigmapro's and they sound awful, have no low frequency extension, and quickly run out of xmax. They were my first project so I didn't really know what I was getting into, but now I do and the point is I want better from my company! Anyone else have better luck?

• guitar maestro
    replied
    If you want high sensitivity, long Xmax (which means long coil which means lower Fs, which kills midband sensitivity), then you can either have low Qts by way of low Qes to bump up the midband sensitivity (which then also kills the low end), or high Vas with a mid-Qts, which means larger enclosure in order to maintain the midband sensitivity into the low-corner where the alignment takes over for the output. Study T/S parameters a bit more and do some more modeling and all this stuff starts to "click". Remember: Forget the rated sensitivity spec you see. That's the midband sensitivity. Not on the low-end where you need bass extenstion. That [low-end] is governed (simplistically) by T/S parameters and the specific alignment you choose to implement. You will often times see that to get the extension you need, you have to give up on that high sensitivity spec you see on paper. Remember when you modeled the 10HP1020 in bassbox and how when you tune the enclosure low the FR starts to dip/level off at a lower SPL than the midband response? Same thing applies here.

Leave a comment:

• Drummer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sydney View Post
    Haven't had the opportunity but the Klippel data would put this on a very short list of drivers I'd consider for a Performance Sound System ( IF I were so inclined ).
    My best friend, and guitarist in one of the bands that I gig with just recently finished this little beast. It has a built in EV sub amp with dsp. It is a great sounding sub that plays very cleanly, and it has all the thump for the room sizes that we generally play, but he is going to build another identical one to run stereo mixes. My Oak Yamaha kick drum sounds fantastic since he added this bad boy. It also sounds beautiful pushing everything from rock to electric jazz fusion, combined with dsp powered EV high mid enclosures. If I ever decided to use subs at home, I would duplicate it, with his help. Glenn.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied
    Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post
    I supposed my point here is that if Eminence made an 18" speaker of which I could care less of the magnet material that had a sensitivity of 97dB 1W/1m with an xmax between 10-12mm I would be sold. As would a ton of other people. They did it on their Kappalite 3015LF with flying colors. The Fs isn't extremely low, but it doesn't need to be for the application. Give me a solid 38-40Hz and I will be grinning from ear to ear!
    I can appreciate the desire, but in this age of global economics, even Eminence has facilities overseas
    Anyway....
    From experience I know what a JBL 2241 is capable of; most grouse about their cost however.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied
    Originally posted by filmslayer View Post

the best sub i've ever heard .
    Haven't had the opportunity but the Klippel data would put this on a very short list of drivers I'd consider for a Performance Sound System ( IF I were so inclined ).

Leave a comment:

• 1100xxben
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Thought you had 18TBX100?
    Wolf
    Yep, you're correct... still an amazing "little" driver!

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    For Eminence to create a driver like that they'd need to be sure there was a market for it. Since they haven't made one their market research must have concluded that at least where the Eminence brand is concerned that there isn't, at least not with the sales numbers that they're used to.

Leave a comment:

• STIchris722
    replied
    I supposed my point here is that if Eminence made an 18" speaker of which I could care less of the magnet material that had a sensitivity of 97dB 1W/1m with an xmax between 10-12mm I would be sold. As would a ton of other people. They did it on their Kappalite 3015LF with flying colors. The Fs isn't extremely low, but it doesn't need to be for the application. Give me a solid 38-40Hz and I will be grinning from ear to ear!

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by 1100xxben View Post

The B&C are amazing subs. I picked up an 18TBW100 at the tent sale a few years back for $50. I had to spend $10 at the local TSC and buy some straps so I could get it home on my motorcycle, and it was totally worth it. I use it in my barn/workshop and it's got plenty of clean output. I also picked up a 15TBW100 the next year for $40, but I have yet to build a box for it. I would highly recommend a B&C sub.
    Thought you had 18TBX100?
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• STIchris722
    replied
    Originally posted by 1100xxben View Post

The B&C are amazing subs. I picked up an 18TBW100 at the tent sale a few years back for $50. I had to spend $10 at the local TSC and buy some straps so I could get it home on my motorcycle, and it was totally worth it. I use it in my barn/workshop and it's got plenty of clean output. I also picked up a 15TBW100 the next year for $40, but I have yet to build a box for it. I would highly recommend a B&C sub.
    I'm so excited to get one (1) of these built. It has to sound so good!

Leave a comment:

• STIchris722
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    How about the 18ULF? Should do the trick...
    Wolf
    I tried modeling this one (1) too and couldn't get the output without exceeding the short xmax. I think I was thermally limited to 700W @ 8ft^3 tuned to 32Hz

Leave a comment:

• STIchris722
    replied
    Originally posted by filmslayer View Post

the best sub i've ever heard .
    how did you build and tune your enclosure? I cannot get this thing to look good no matter what I do. The 18TBW100 looks much better and is within 1dB of the same output, but is linear. I don't know; Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Leave a comment:

• STIchris722
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    My poorly made point is that Eminence makes woofers and they make subwoofers. I can read specs.
    Chill. I'm not questioning your competency or anything. I was simply talking about PA subs which have higher sensitivity than the LAB series. That's all. No harm done here.

Leave a comment:

• 1100xxben
    replied
    Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post
    The B&C sub I have been looking at is the 18TBW100 and the FaitalPro is the 18HW1070. Decent sensitivity with high xmax and relatively low Fs.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    My poorly made point is that Eminence makes woofers and they make subwoofers. I can read specs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X