Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passive Studio Monitor Design with Active Crossover - Need Opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post
    ...I'm thinking less than a thousand dollars to make the pair. .
    Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
    The B&C 8PS21 is a great driver for a very small box, but it does have an inconvenient lack of bass - that said, . The Vifa NE225W and Beyma TPL-150 AMT were used to great effect in a 2-way by Vapor, I think - the Beyma is a behemoth of a tweeter, but it certainly does seem to perform.
    I think the TPL-150/H would put the project over his pre-set limit. ($$$)


    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post



      I think the TPL-150/H would put the project over his pre-set limit. ($$$)

      And designed for insane amounts of output...
      Guess xmax's age.

      My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
        The B&C 8PS21 is a great driver for a very small box, but it does have an inconvenient lack of bass - that said, . The Vifa NE225W and Beyma TPL-150 AMT were used to great effect in a 2-way by Vapor, I think - the Beyma is a behemoth of a tweeter, but it certainly does seem to perform.



        A MiniDSP would do what you want for an awful lot less money. The "HD" models have the processing power to use FIR filters with no phase shift, if you're into that sort of thing.
        Who makes a MiniDSP? Are they rack mountable?
        "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by xmax View Post

          And designed for insane amounts of output...
          Would a small format 3 way monitor be difficult to design and build? I would spend a little more to make it 3 way if it made sense...
          "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
            The B&C 8PS21 is a great driver for a very small box, but it does have an inconvenient lack of bass.

            A MiniDSP would do what you want for an awful lot less money. The "HD" models have the processing power to use FIR filters with no phase shift, if you're into that sort of thing.
            My 8PS21 is coming up on 10 years in another few months, I have the drivers that Zaph tested and I'm still plenty happy with it. I use it in a 14L box, EBS alignment turned to 59hz with some bass help via a MiniDSP I get mid 50's in room extension. If you need lower extension I would go with the 8BG51 instead.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by 300Z View Post
              My 8PS21 is coming up on 10 years in another few months, I have the drivers that Zaph tested and I'm still plenty happy with it. I use it in a 14L box, EBS alignment turned to 59hz with some bass help via a MiniDSP I get mid 50's in room extension. If you need lower extension I would go with the 8BG51 instead.
              Who makes a "MiniDSP?"
              "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post

                Who makes a "MiniDSP?"
                MiniDSP does - https://www.parts-express.com/cat/di...ing-(dsp)/3534
                Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Anyone have any idea if a 3 way studio monitor makes sense or is too much? If so do you have any driver recommendations for 2 or 3 way?
                  "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I do. I love my 3-way studio monitors for 2-ch stereo use. Granted bought, not built. Lot of moola but sound damn good. You would fall in love with the sound of a recorded bass guitar coming through these.






                    I would like to add some suggestions to the list of 8" drivers that might also be suitable:
                    BEYMA 8BXN coaxial <---look at the stupid low distortion between 200Hz to about 2kHz.
                    BEYMA 8M70V2, also very low distortion, but strictly a midrange
                    Last edited by guitar maestro; 07-16-2018, 01:58 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post
                      I do. I love my 3-way studio monitors for 2-ch stereo use. Granted bought, not built. Lot of moola but sound damn good. You would fall in love with the sound of a recorded bass guitar coming through these.






                      I would like to add some suggestions to the list of 8" drivers that might also be suitable:
                      BEYMA 8BXN coaxial <---look at the stupid low distortion between 200Hz to about 2kHz.
                      BEYMA 8M70V2, also very low distortion
                      What mid bass do the Legacy's use?
                      Guess xmax's age.

                      My guess: 15. His grammar is passable. His trolling is good.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by xmax View Post

                        What mid bass do the Legacy's use?
                        I'm positive it is a state-of-the-art Radio Shack midbass. It's the only possible explanation as to why they sound so good.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Based on the appearance, it's a custom unit or a Faital.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X