Passive Studio Monitor Design with Active Crossover - Need Opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passive Studio Monitor Design with Active Crossover - Need Opinions

I recently got a job where I have my own office and I'm ready to build a set of studio monitors; it's long overdue! The plan is to use an Ashly SRA 4150 4x150W convection cooled class D amplifier, and an Ashly XR1001 active stereo crossover. I already have that gear so I'm sticking with that as I prefer active crossovers to passive (don't hate).

My goal is to do an 8" driver in a bass reflex cabinet with some sort of high frequency driver. As far as woofers, I've been looking at Dayton reference, Dayton Epique, Aurum Cantus, HiVi, etc.

I have been looking at the new aluminum domes from Dayton, the peerless dual ring radiator, and some of the fountek ribbons.

As far as a budget for the speaker components, I'm thinking less than a thousand dollars to make the pair. Materials can be extra.

I'm going for something like the attached images. I've owned Presonus monitors before, M-Audio, Yamaha, and the Presonus always sounded the best to my ears. Even better than the Adam Audio models I have heard. I've had the e44, e66, e8, and r80 of the Presonus stuff and I like it all, but I want to build my own set. I should clarify I am not worried about a completely flat response in the sense that a typical studio monitor has(for accurately reproducing audio for recording without coloration or eq from the system). Does anyone have any recommendations on woofer choice and tweeter combos? What would you tune these babies at? I don't want to run a powered sub in my office. I'm not trying to piss the world off. The only reason I want 8" woofers is because all of the studio monitors I have heard with larger woofers sound fuller to me. I realize people do things with small speakers, but I prefer larger woofers for DR 2-ways.

• spasticteapot
    replied
    Based on the appearance, it's a custom unit or a Faital.

Leave a comment:

• guitar maestro
    replied
    Originally posted by xmax View Post

What mid bass do the Legacy's use?
    I'm positive it is a state-of-the-art Radio Shack midbass. It's the only possible explanation as to why they sound so good.

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post
    I do. I love my 3-way studio monitors for 2-ch stereo use. Granted bought, not built. Lot of moola but sound damn good. You would fall in love with the sound of a recorded bass guitar coming through these.

I would like to add some suggestions to the list of 8" drivers that might also be suitable:
    BEYMA 8BXN coaxial <---look at the stupid low distortion between 200Hz to about 2kHz.
    BEYMA 8M70V2, also very low distortion
    What mid bass do the Legacy's use?

Leave a comment:

• guitar maestro
    replied
    I do. I love my 3-way studio monitors for 2-ch stereo use. Granted bought, not built. Lot of moola but sound damn good. You would fall in love with the sound of a recorded bass guitar coming through these.

I would like to add some suggestions to the list of 8" drivers that might also be suitable:
    BEYMA 8BXN coaxial <---look at the stupid low distortion between 200Hz to about 2kHz.
    BEYMA 8M70V2, also very low distortion, but strictly a midrange
    Last edited by guitar maestro; 07-16-2018, 02:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• STIchris722
    replied
    Anyone have any idea if a 3 way studio monitor makes sense or is too much? If so do you have any driver recommendations for 2 or 3 way?

Leave a comment:

• tom_s
    replied
    Originally posted by STIchris722 View Post

Who makes a "MiniDSP?"
    MiniDSP does - https://www.parts-express.com/cat/di...ing-(dsp)/3534

Leave a comment:

• STIchris722
    replied
    Originally posted by 300Z View Post
    My 8PS21 is coming up on 10 years in another few months, I have the drivers that Zaph tested and I'm still plenty happy with it. I use it in a 14L box, EBS alignment turned to 59hz with some bass help via a MiniDSP I get mid 50's in room extension. If you need lower extension I would go with the 8BG51 instead.
    Who makes a "MiniDSP?"

Leave a comment:

• 300Z
    replied
    Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
    The B&C 8PS21 is a great driver for a very small box, but it does have an inconvenient lack of bass.

A MiniDSP would do what you want for an awful lot less money. The "HD" models have the processing power to use FIR filters with no phase shift, if you're into that sort of thing.
    My 8PS21 is coming up on 10 years in another few months, I have the drivers that Zaph tested and I'm still plenty happy with it. I use it in a 14L box, EBS alignment turned to 59hz with some bass help via a MiniDSP I get mid 50's in room extension. If you need lower extension I would go with the 8BG51 instead.

Leave a comment:

• STIchris722
    replied
    Originally posted by xmax View Post

And designed for insane amounts of output...
    Would a small format 3 way monitor be difficult to design and build? I would spend a little more to make it 3 way if it made sense...

Leave a comment:

• STIchris722
    replied
    The B&C 8PS21 is a great driver for a very small box, but it does have an inconvenient lack of bass - that said, . The Vifa NE225W and Beyma TPL-150 AMT were used to great effect in a 2-way by Vapor, I think - the Beyma is a behemoth of a tweeter, but it certainly does seem to perform.

A MiniDSP would do what you want for an awful lot less money. The "HD" models have the processing power to use FIR filters with no phase shift, if you're into that sort of thing.
    Who makes a MiniDSP? Are they rack mountable?

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    Originally posted by guitar maestro View Post

I think the TPL-150/H would put the project over his pre-set limit. ($$$)

And designed for insane amounts of output...

Leave a comment:

• guitar maestro
    replied
    ...I'm thinking less than a thousand dollars to make the pair. .
    The B&C 8PS21 is a great driver for a very small box, but it does have an inconvenient lack of bass - that said, . The Vifa NE225W and Beyma TPL-150 AMT were used to great effect in a 2-way by Vapor, I think - the Beyma is a behemoth of a tweeter, but it certainly does seem to perform.
    I think the TPL-150/H would put the project over his pre-set limit. ($$$)

Leave a comment:

• spasticteapot
    replied

Would it make more sense to get a Protea unit (similar to a DBX drive rack, but more analog sounding)?

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    Focal is very good at marketing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X