Subwoofer for beach cart. :X

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subwoofer for beach cart. :X

Soooooooo....Yeah......subwoofer for a beach cart. Needs to pair with a set of satellites using 6fe100's and BC25's as much as possible.

I was just gonna use my peerless 830869, then Millstone Mike recommended a Scanspeak 22W....then I was looking at an SB 8" woofer...sb20pfc30 I think..... But then the more and more I was looking at my beach cart design I started seeing other opportunities and have been thinking tapped horn/T-line maybe......Anarchy/1139 25Hz tapped horn? Decware Wicked One? But then that made me think I could almost get away with a 15" in 3 cubes like the DCS380-4.....

I have a max of 3ish cubes possible....something like 24" x 36" x 8" is my max, but more like 18"x36"x8" would be better.....

Looking for efficiency since power is at a premium and would need it at 4ohm to maximize (50-70W).

Any high efficiency small designs you guys can think of? I've been searching a lot.....
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

That's why I recommended the 4 ohm Scanspeak. Its sensitivity is 94 dB at 2.83 V/1M (equivalent sensitivity of 91 dB at 8 ohm). It has an F3 of ~36 Hz in 2 ft3. And it will hit 108 dB (before BSC) using a 24 V amp. A little bit of xmax issue at that volume circa 50 Hz. It's pricey, but those combination of spec.'s are hard to come by. And out on the beach you need efficient SPL. I looked at the RS225-4. That will go deeper but it's 3 dB less efficient and the phase plug will be problematic on the beach (sand gets everywhere ... all the time).

In the end, it really depends on your usage. music for a group of 4 or a group of 30 will dictate SPL needs.

Comment

And I appreciate it Mike! Just wasn't sure if I could find a horn/T-line/QW/MLTL that would give me a little more SPL for the lower octaves. I keep leaning back toward the SS though my building side wants to do the 25Hz tapped horn.

I've got time before I get to that part so gonna keep modeling and searching and mabe catch a suggestion or two. If not...the SS will find a home. :D
      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
        And I appreciate it Mike! Just wasn't sure if I could find a horn/T-line/QW/MLTL that would give me a little more SPL for the lower octaves. I keep leaning back toward the SS though my building side wants to do the 25Hz tapped horn.

I've got time before I get to that part so gonna keep modeling and searching and mabe catch a suggestion or two. If not...the SS will find a home. :D
        I don't think you'll need a lot of output from the L-R speakers for several reasons. One, on the beach, you'll have a full 6 dB of Baffle step loss in the low frequencies. The sand is dead and no reinforcement from any walls. Two, (in my design), I crossed up near 900 hz or so on a 24" by 14" baffle. So all the baffle step loss was virtually on the sub (and you'll never get much stereo "separation" with a boombox all-in-one type unit anyway). Three, you have two of the "stereo" speakers to one sub. Lastly, if you cross high up as I did, you have lots of choices for efficient L-R drivers without fear of xmax issues at high SPL levels.

I modeled some 100 woofers in WinISD before I settled on the SS. Good luck.

Here's a pic of the SS. Understated elegance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dunes Tunes 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	483.1 KB
ID:	1381981

Comment

Working...
        X