Anyone still need CNC cutting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone still need CNC cutting?

I have not been on the site in years (having twins will do that sometimes). I have still worked with a few past customers to keep cutting stuff for home audio.

My car audio business has started to slow down, and I have made some changes to my CNC router that makes it better suited for the home audio projects. I have added vacuum hold down and better dust collect which helps keep the precision customers want.

So, is there still a need to custom build enclosures? Build custom flat packs?

I used to do a lot of veneer work back in the day as well.

Check out my website: www.uberstealthaudio.com.
    Now offering cnc cut baffles and other speaker cabinet parts

What is your location?

Comment

In in Oklahoma city, but I used to ship out stuff everywhere. If you search my user name, you can see stuff I did.

Comment

Hey Nik - I have a few projects going and getting a flat pack made would be a great help. What would you typically quote for a design like this:

https://imgur.com/a/xrLbYHH

Basically it's 1 1/2 sheets of mdf or baltic birch with rabbeted edges. I can do all the cad and layout. Shipping to 02143 in sunny Massachusetts.

I found a guy at a local maker space which has a big CNC but you seem well set up for speakers.

PS your private messages seem to be overloaded.

Comment

I can speak to Nik's quality and fair pricing. He did great work for me, quite a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by civit View Post
            Hey Nik - I have a few projects going and getting a flat pack made would be a great help. What would you typically quote for a design like this:

https://imgur.com/a/xrLbYHH

Basically it's 1 1/2 sheets of mdf or baltic birch with rabbeted edges. I can do all the cad and layout. Shipping to 02143 in sunny Massachusetts.

I found a guy at a local maker space which has a big CNC but you seem well set up for speakers.

PS your private messages seem to be overloaded.
            1st. If you have a local Guy, I suggest you use him as shipping is always the killer.

Just looking at the plans, I would charge about 100$, plus material and shipping. I base my stuff on simple $50 a hour, so that covers programming, machine time, and drive time to get the material ( BB Ply is not stocked a HD< so I have to make a special trip to a lumber yard)

Comment

Originally posted by nikbrewer View Post

1st. If you have a local Guy, I suggest you use him as shipping is always the killer.

Just looking at the plans, I would charge about 100$, plus material and shipping. I base my stuff on simple $50 a hour, so that covers programming, machine time, and drive time to get the material ( BB Ply is not stocked a HD< so I have to make a special trip to a lumber yard)
              What do you think shipping to MA would run? I expect it would weigh around 150# max. Securely packaging a large flat pack like that would be time consuming though.

I'll consult with my local people but might as well get some data points.

Comment

Originally posted by civit View Post

What do you think shipping to MA would run? I expect it would weigh around 150# max. Securely packaging a large flat pack like that would be time consuming though.

I'll consult with my local people but might as well get some data points.
                that's a lot of weight.. would probally go in several packages. Packing is not the hard spot but I would factor in at least $100 in shipping

Comment

I have found so far with my cnc machine i make ups and fedex alot of money.
                  My Build Thread's
                  Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

can you cut corian? its as easy as wood !or MDF

Comment

Nik, Can you do small aluminum parts? If not, does anyone know someone who can?

I;m talking around 3/4" thick by 2" x 1.5" or so with a v-notch cut across the 3/4" thickness, centered along the 2" length and a 5/16" or so hole bored though the middle of the 2"x1.5" side. Depending on price, might need maybe 25-50 pieces (not for speakers, btw).
                      Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
                        Nik, Can you do small aluminum parts? If not, does anyone know someone who can?

I;m talking around 3/4" thick by 2" x 1.5" or so with a v-notch cut across the 3/4" thickness, centered along the 2" length and a 5/16" or so hole bored though the middle of the 2"x1.5" side. Depending on price, might need maybe 25-50 pieces (not for speakers, btw).
                        I can't speak for Nik, but I do know machining. Batch work is very cheap and aluminum machines quickly depending on the grade so machine time is less although price is higher than steel. Find a local fab shop or machine shop and get a quote. You are talking about bar stock, cut, faced, notched, and drilled/reamed. Set up a jig and go. Probably could use a Bridgeport with a Prototrak would be faster with less waste than a CNC. Just my thoughts and experience.
                        "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

Hey Nik, I'm running Aspire on my computer and can generate some interesting surfaces that Aspire can turn into a 3D cut file. Can you do 1.5" thick baffles?

Click image for larger version

Name:	amt waveguide baffle for 8bg51.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	1382143
                          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I can vouch for Nik. He built a 12” rythmik sub and a pair of selah audio line arrays for me. Good work and fair pricing. Him being close to Dallas was a huge bonus. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X