Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Anyone still need CNC cutting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nikbrewer
    started a topic Anyone still need CNC cutting?

Anyone still need CNC cutting?

I have not been on the site in years (having twins will do that sometimes). I have still worked with a few past customers to keep cutting stuff for home audio.

My car audio business has started to slow down, and I have made some changes to my CNC router that makes it better suited for the home audio projects. I have added vacuum hold down and better dust collect which helps keep the precision customers want.

So, is there still a need to custom build enclosures? Build custom flat packs?

I used to do a lot of veneer work back in the day as well.

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Hey Nik, I'm running Aspire on my computer and can generate some interesting surfaces that Aspire can turn into a 3D cut file. Can you do 1.5" thick baffles?

Click image for larger version

Name:	amt waveguide baffle for 8bg51.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	1382143

Leave a comment:

• STIchris722
    replied
    Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
    Nik, Can you do small aluminum parts? If not, does anyone know someone who can?

I;m talking around 3/4" thick by 2" x 1.5" or so with a v-notch cut across the 3/4" thickness, centered along the 2" length and a 5/16" or so hole bored though the middle of the 2"x1.5" side. Depending on price, might need maybe 25-50 pieces (not for speakers, btw).
    I can't speak for Nik, but I do know machining. Batch work is very cheap and aluminum machines quickly depending on the grade so machine time is less although price is higher than steel. Find a local fab shop or machine shop and get a quote. You are talking about bar stock, cut, faced, notched, and drilled/reamed. Set up a jig and go. Probably could use a Bridgeport with a Prototrak would be faster with less waste than a CNC. Just my thoughts and experience.

Leave a comment:

• dlneubec
    replied
    Nik, Can you do small aluminum parts? If not, does anyone know someone who can?

I;m talking around 3/4" thick by 2" x 1.5" or so with a v-notch cut across the 3/4" thickness, centered along the 2" length and a 5/16" or so hole bored though the middle of the 2"x1.5" side. Depending on price, might need maybe 25-50 pieces (not for speakers, btw).

Leave a comment:

• cap
    replied
    can you cut corian? its as easy as wood !or MDF

Leave a comment:

• Mike220
    replied
    I have found so far with my cnc machine i make ups and fedex alot of money.

Leave a comment:

• nikbrewer
    replied
    Originally posted by civit View Post

What do you think shipping to MA would run? I expect it would weigh around 150# max. Securely packaging a large flat pack like that would be time consuming though.

I'll consult with my local people but might as well get some data points.
    that's a lot of weight.. would probally go in several packages. Packing is not the hard spot but I would factor in at least $100 in shipping

Leave a comment:

• civit
    replied
    Originally posted by nikbrewer View Post

1st. If you have a local Guy, I suggest you use him as shipping is always the killer.

Just looking at the plans, I would charge about 100$, plus material and shipping. I base my stuff on simple $50 a hour, so that covers programming, machine time, and drive time to get the material ( BB Ply is not stocked a HD< so I have to make a special trip to a lumber yard)
    What do you think shipping to MA would run? I expect it would weigh around 150# max. Securely packaging a large flat pack like that would be time consuming though.

I'll consult with my local people but might as well get some data points.

Leave a comment:

• nikbrewer
    replied
    Originally posted by civit View Post
    Hey Nik - I have a few projects going and getting a flat pack made would be a great help. What would you typically quote for a design like this:

https://imgur.com/a/xrLbYHH

Basically it's 1 1/2 sheets of mdf or baltic birch with rabbeted edges. I can do all the cad and layout. Shipping to 02143 in sunny Massachusetts.

I found a guy at a local maker space which has a big CNC but you seem well set up for speakers.

PS your private messages seem to be overloaded.
    1st. If you have a local Guy, I suggest you use him as shipping is always the killer.

Just looking at the plans, I would charge about 100$, plus material and shipping. I base my stuff on simple $50 a hour, so that covers programming, machine time, and drive time to get the material ( BB Ply is not stocked a HD< so I have to make a special trip to a lumber yard)

Leave a comment:

• badman
    replied
    I can speak to Nik's quality and fair pricing. He did great work for me, quite a few years back.

Leave a comment:

• civit
    replied
    Hey Nik - I have a few projects going and getting a flat pack made would be a great help. What would you typically quote for a design like this:

https://imgur.com/a/xrLbYHH

Basically it's 1 1/2 sheets of mdf or baltic birch with rabbeted edges. I can do all the cad and layout. Shipping to 02143 in sunny Massachusetts.

I found a guy at a local maker space which has a big CNC but you seem well set up for speakers.

PS your private messages seem to be overloaded.

Leave a comment:

• nikbrewer
    replied
    In in Oklahoma city, but I used to ship out stuff everywhere. If you search my user name, you can see stuff I did.

Leave a comment:

• guitar maestro
    replied
    What is your location?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X