Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MWAF 2018. Updates?

Any Updates on MWAF '18? Photos?

First time participating and hanging for the whole event. Thoughts...

Judging... From the audience chairs your impressions are going to be heavily dependent on where you're sitting and who's in front of you. Taller speakers where I had line of sight to the tweeters were preferable to me, for example. Ultimately I'd say it's really difficult to get a full impression of the quality of the system in this format, but it's fun regardless. None of the speakers were overly bad or at all offensive, I'd go so far as to say they'd all be quite good for daily casual use and anyone would probably be happy with them. Of course, we're not a normal group of folks when it comes to speakers, so take that with a grain of salt. There were a couple that really stood out here and there with some characters on certain tracks, and sometimes my impression corresponded with a winner, but not that often.

My system didn't place, and I didn't expect it too. I was quite please with their performance regardless, they impressed numerous folks with the performance value. The ND16 + DA115 + SD215 drivers certainly pull their weight per dollar. The amp and crossover design did it's job staying out of the way and had headroom to spare, I'm really looking forward to the judges thoughts.

I didn't take the time to really photo catalog everything, others were doing that though. Here's a few shots I did take:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-07-13 20.33.22.jpg Views:	1 Size:	544.3 KB ID:	1382228
    I forget the name of this project and creator, but this dude actually manufactured his own drivers and took the whole DIY thing to another level. The modified CBT24 can be seen in the back (placed in Open Unlimited).

Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-07-13 20.36.14.jpg Views:	1 Size:	585.2 KB ID:	1382229
    Paul K's Caboletta in front

Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-07-13 20.43.21.jpg Views:	1 Size:	559.3 KB ID:	1382230
    The Over $200 line, with Keith's 7-6-2 toward the front followed by Wolf's Fenrir and Neil's winners the Americana's toward the back.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music
    Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-07-13 20.36.25.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	489.0 KB
ID:	1382232
      The Under $200 line, Keith's Super Bee's up front, Tom Z's Spirit Winds, and toward the back with the external crossover panels are Bill S's flat things, (forget the actual title). This image doesn't do them justice, they're only about 4" thick on the outside with a 70mm BMR and tiny tweeter on the front. These stood out with imaging for sure, maybe something about the wide dispersion of the BMR and small diameter tweeter + the tiny baffle width... not sure.

Name:	2018-07-13 20.43.10.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	1382233
      Had to get a shot of John's Synergy Horn, the workmanship is fantastic and they sound great (placed in over $200).

Name:	2018-07-13 20.43.41.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	1382234
      These were very interesting. I forget the fellow's name, don't think he's a TT regular. This is a Tang Band full ranger, 8" without any contour network at all. The port, if you can tell, actually extends all the way through the cabinet. There's a gap in the middle with a proprietary 3D printed network that makes this some sort of double frequency resonator. I didn't expect much from a large full ranger without contour, but was pleasantly surprised. The dude would tell you all about those ports if you gave him a minute.
      Wogg Music
      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Here's Javad's Ceramica project, I loved the looks of these things for sure.

Name:	2018-07-13 18.44.16.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	1382236

There was another cardboard monstrosity this year, from an odd and interesting fellow Meredith. This was an attempt to fold a 70' long 20Hz horn into the room, built based on the room dimensions and assembled on site as a sub for his project. These pictures don't do it justice, and at the end of the open unlimited run they gave this thing a work out. If it was built out of ridged materials instead of cardboard, this thing would have been incredible. As it was though, the construction couldn't handle the energy properly, so it had some moments of pure fart bass. The general consensus seemed to be that this was the most ridiculous thing there, and had some impressive engineering calculations behind it.

Name:	2018-07-13 21.34.19.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	1382237

Name:	2018-07-13 21.35.47.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	523.8 KB
ID:	1382238
        Wogg Music

Comment

First, congratulations to all of the winners, especially Nick and his Americana speakers for winning 1st in the over-$200 category as well as being voted as the Fan Favorite. Well deserved IMO. For raves, it's PE for holding this annual event and, especially all of friendly PE folks that work at the event, and not to forget the goodies given away. When I go to MWAF it has the feeling of going to a class reunion of sorts, but we get to go every year instead of only every 5 or 10 years! For rants, well there's the choice of music for judging. Why so many vocals? I was talking with another attendee at lunch yesterday and we were of the same mind. For the three tracks choose one vocal, one small ensemble track of acoustic instruments, like a jazz trio or a string quartet, and one track that puts some real demand on the speakers, like a full symphony orchestra or a brass band or whatever. I didn't hear anything at all challenging in the 3 tracks used for the over-$200 category where a challenge would be expected. Most important: ensure the chosen music is of very high quality (the 3rd track used in the under-$200 category was clearly distorted). Nevertheless I enjoyed this year's event very much overall. Oh, for those of you who didn't attend InDIYana and heard my Cabalettas there, I forgot to acknowledge yesterday before they played that Chuck Morris designed the crossover.
          Paul
          Last edited by Paul K.; 07-15-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

What I want to know is how did those Card board speakers sound like?

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post
              Boxy?

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post
                It was a sub... and at low levels it filled that place with the low end. Any real power at all and the cardboard started falling apart. Good fun though. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                Wogg Music

Comment

What did folks think of those ceramic drivers?

Comment

On Javads Ceramicos I really liked the midrange clarity/ openness. Very much personal preference at these levels of quality, but I thought the mids were special.
                    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I agree with John on the Ceramic drivers. I really like them and plan on doing a build with them for my living room sometime soon!
                      Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
                      Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks
                      The Super Bees - Garage 2 way
                      SevenSixTwo - InDIYana 2018 Coax
                      The Defiants - InDIYana 2019 "Bare Minimum" Build

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
                        It was a sub... and at low levels it filled that place with the low end. Any real power at all and the cardboard started falling apart. Good fun though. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                        wow that is a huge sub.

Another interesting looking speaker the SP12's Synergy horn.

Comment

Wogg, thanks for the walk through. Wished I was there.

Comment

Too bad there is no videos of the speakers playing for those that couldn't hear them in person.

Comment

When we signed in for the competition we each got a gift bag, and one of the included items was the July issue of AudioXpress, which has a really nice article about the rescue and transfer of Creative Sound Solutions (CSS) to two of our fellow DIYers, Kerry Armes and Dan Pointsett.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X